Milk Allergy & The Foods Available

Thanks, Paula! :) I am really excited about it and a big part of the reason we picked DCL is because of their rep handling food allergies. My allergy and DS's are severe enough that we usually are told to avoid buffets, but I'm thinking maybe Pluto's or Goofy's would work for us for lunch the first day. If we went up to a server at one of those "fast food" type places and asked for food ingredients, do you think they'd look at us as if we had 3 heads, or would they know? I certainly don't want to hold up any lines if the answers are not readily available.

I also read somewhere that you can still go to buffets and call ahead to have them bring the allergic person's meal out directly from the kitchen. Anyone ever tried this option and does it work smoothly?

Thanks, Paula! :) I am really excited about it and a big part of the reason we picked DCL is because of their rep handling food allergies. My allergy and DS's are severe enough that we usually are told to avoid buffets, but I'm thinking maybe Pluto's or Goofy's would work for us for lunch the first day. If we went up to a server at one of those "fast food" type places and asked for food ingredients, do you think they'd look at us as if we had 3 heads, or would they know? I certainly don't want to hold up any lines if the answers are not readily available.

I also read somewhere that you can still go to buffets and call ahead to have them bring the allergic person's meal out directly from the kitchen. Anyone ever tried this option and does it work smoothly?

Hi

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what are your food allergies?

DD is quite restricted with fast food as most of it has either milk or wheat in so we have always found the buffets easier for us.

I might be wrong (my memory isnt great!!!) but dont think that FF places open until later on in the day on the day of boarding?????

DCL have always brought one of the chefs out to walk through the PC buffet with us on as soon as you boards for lunch.

Oh I am sooooo jelious I wish is was us going again - when do you sail??

Hi - I don't mind at all! I have posted about them on a few other threads already and just didn't want to bore the masses, lol!

We don't get to cruise for another 10+ months but I am a big-time planner so I think of everything early!! I have cruised before and handled my own allergy fine (mine is all shellfish), but in the past few years I seem to be getting more sensitive and my doc has instructed me never to go out without my epipens anymore. Buffets can definitely be a mine field for me because of cross-contamination. I am kinda glad they don't bread and fry shrimp regularly on the ships (sorry to all the shrimp lovers!) because that seems to be the biggest risk area for me - re-used frying oil/surfaces.

Anyway, DS has never taken any kind of big trip before and he is severely allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. So much so that the way we found out was with a trip to the ER in an ambulance when he was 2 and a half...and he did not even actually swallow the peanut butter (long story but we think he licked it and/or rubbed it near his eyes). His doctor said he may not have any item that even has a "warning" about nuts (may contain, in the factory, etc) on it. At home we have found most chain restaurants to be extremely accommodating so I know Disney can do the same. We've never had an incident with him since that scary day. Of course you also are going to be in the middle of the ocean should something serious happen, so of course I want to take my own extra precautions too...

We will definitely fill out the med forms for both of us. I know it may seem silly this far in advance, but if I can kind of prepare DS for some of the things he may or may not be able to eat, it will help him a lot. :)

Hi - I don't mind at all! I have posted about them on a few other threads already and just didn't want to bore the masses, lol!

We don't get to cruise for another 10+ months but I am a big-time planner so I think of everything early!! I have cruised before and handled my own allergy fine (mine is all shellfish), but in the past few years I seem to be getting more sensitive and my doc has instructed me never to go out without my epipens anymore. Buffets can definitely be a mine field for me because of cross-contamination. I am kinda glad they don't bread and fry shrimp regularly on the ships (sorry to all the shrimp lovers!) because that seems to be the biggest risk area for me - re-used frying oil/surfaces.

Anyway, DS has never taken any kind of big trip before and he is severely allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. So much so that the way we found out was with a trip to the ER in an ambulance when he was 2 and a half...and he did not even actually swallow the peanut butter (long story but we think he licked it and/or rubbed it near his eyes). His doctor said he may not have any item that even has a "warning" about nuts (may contain, in the factory, etc) on it. At home we have found most chain restaurants to be extremely accommodating so I know Disney can do the same. We've never had an incident with him since that scary day. Of course you also are going to be in the middle of the ocean should something serious happen, so of course I want to take my own extra precautions too...

We will definitely fill out the med forms for both of us. I know it may seem silly this far in advance, but if I can kind of prepare DS for some of the things he may or may not be able to eat, it will help him a lot. :)

Hi

Just sent you a PMxxxx

I pray they do. I know on our last cruise with RCCL I asked for veggie cheese for pizza & Nucoa marg. for toast, bread and potatoes on the med form, but they said, "No". So I would like to be prepared by bringing at least the Nucoa marg. But I am willing to even bring the veggie cheese so DS can enjoy his pizza too if they would use it. Unless they have breadsticks and marinara, then that's a plus :thumbsup2

What kind of veggie cheese do you use, and where do you get it? My son has a dairy allergy, and I'd love to be able to find a cheese that I could use that tastes good.

What kind of veggie cheese do you use, and where do you get it? My son has a dairy allergy, and I'd love to be able to find a cheese that I could use that tastes good.

Galaxy Nutritional Foods "Veggie Shreds" Lactose Free it comes grated and in slices. It's in the produce section where they have the tofu. I get it at a local grocery store Von (Safeway). I use it for pizza, garlic cheese bread, quesadillas and tacos. It taste decent with spices and DS6 has eaten for a few years so he loves it. I also get soy pudding & yogurt at Whole Foods (organic store). Hope that helps.

Galaxy Nutritional Foods "Veggie Shreds" Lactose Free it comes grated and in slices. It's in the produce section where they have the tofu. I get it at a local grocery store Von (Safeway). I use it for pizza, garlic cheese bread, quesadillas and tacos. It taste decent with spices and DS6 has eaten for a few years so he loves it. I also get soy pudding & yogurt at Whole Foods (organic store). Hope that helps.

I was so excited to check this out. I looked on Galaxy's website. Unfortunately, the veggie shreds are lactose free, but not dairy free, but I'm going to look through all their products and see if I can find something I can use. We live in a small town, and there's just not a lot of places to find specialty foods like this. I so wish we had a Whole Foods store, but none around for many, many miles. Thanks for the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter