Military takes over WDW?

Mr D

Adventurer
That was just what I thought when I heard a rumor that There was a large influx of military and their families recently. Now if Disney was to offer discounts even more to ANY person or families affiliated with our Armed Forces, Police, Firefighters, EMT etc. then to stay inside the park it would also create a "security" force much more impressive than what they already have. I for one would be proud to see a family there if one or both parents were in uniform. It would possibly also give deterrence to any possible terrorism. Anybody care to clarify this? Or shall we ignore this in the matter of "national security".;)

Shades of Green, a former deluxe resort at WDW, is now operated by the Defense department, and only active or retired armed forces can stay there, along with members of the defense department. And it is pretty cheap; depending on your rank and class. So, yes, disney does cater to the armed forces.

These people are on vacation. If you worked at McDonald's, would you like to wear your uniform while you were on vacation?

Nice thought, but seeing the cammys in the airports with M16's is enough of a disturbing reminder of the times we live in. A security blanket, but a stark reminder of what's happening. Keep it out of Disney.

From the opening of the park until the Eisner Era, Disneyland offered a rather good discount to all servicemen in uniform. The discounts even were given throughout the Vietnam War when a uniform was FAR less respected than it was today. There’s nothing wrong with seeing uniforms in the Parks and military personal should not be shamed because parts of the real world are discomforting.

Besides, that discount was about the only way my father could afford to take us to Disneyland.

Besides, that discount was about the only way my father could afford to take us to Disneyland.

AV, the Discounts that exist today were one of the main reasons I ever got to go to WDW. My point is these people are on vacation. I don't think wearing their cammys would be high on many military vacationeers lists.

I am all for encouraging these people to visit in any manner possible (discounts, special hotels, etc). I just don't think one requirement of attaining this discount should be the wearing of cammies.

I honestly hope all of our servicemen and their families DO visit WDW, the war so far from what little we hear about has had its casulties in many forms. Things may even escalate on other fronts soon and our members of the Armed Forces need some quality R&R before being called back to duty. I wish I was one of them.

I agree about the servicemen & women visiting WDW. They definitly have various discounts, etc which make it possible.

I also heard that Shades is rumored to take over Port Orleans French Quarter (although I don't remember where I read it....)

Like I said, if it wasn't for Shades & the other discounts, my parents would never have taken us to WDW.

Our first real family vacation where we stayed overnight at a hotel was made possible because of Free tickets , meals, and discount lodging Disneyland gave to servicemen during the Vietnam war. Not only that, but the tickets were unlimited usage passes in an era when we usually had to hoard E-tickets ( my parents usually went on very few rides so we could have more tickets ). WE flashed thoses passes to get on rides....and felt so special. It was a fabulous thing Disney did in an time when people were spitting on servicemen.

we didn't hear of any discounts offered to military members. We get our hoppers at $25 off normal price ($207.) but nothing was offered for hotels etc. I asked. Please let me know of any discounts. Thanks!! BTW Shades of Green is very hard to get into. I tried over 4 mos ago and couldn't get a ressie, It is a good deal!

we didn't hear of any discounts offered to military members. We get our hoppers at $25 off normal price ($207.) but nothing was offered for hotels etc. I asked. Please let me know of any discounts. Thanks!! BTW Shades of Green is very hard to get into. I tried over 4 mos ago and couldn't get a ressie, It is a good deal!

Aside from the hotel accomodations, you can purchase discounted passes tax free from shades....as well as the discounted meals at the resaurants on the resort (Garden Gallery, Evergreens), the BX located in the front of the hotel selling everything from snacks to souvieniers (with no sales tax I might add).

And if Shades is sold out (as it usually is) you can get an overflow rate to another Disney property. I also believe there is a Military discount at the Swan / Dolphin (although that may be a better question for the resorts BB).

The Fact that SoG is always booked solid, Probably explains why POFQ is being used during its expansion.

I didn't even think to use the facilities at SoG. But when I tried to book, they would not offer me an overflow rate. She told me that they don't do that anymore. HMMM. I've read that others had good luck in that area. I guess I need to plan a lot earlier than normal. I just hate to plan so far ahead. With DH being military we never know what is to happen next. But thanks for th info. I'll try and utilize some of it on my next trip! Pam

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter