Military Salute 2014?

ginnygi

Mouseketeer
What is the consensus? Do we think the military discount will be extended? I know, I know... an announcement might not be made for a long while, closer to the expiration of the current offer... but do you think it will happen?

I am torn. I am hoping for a Fall 2014 trip. I am hoping they will make an announcement within the next couple of months and then I will book for the last week of September. But part of me would rather go in November for the Christmas decorations and MVMCP, but knowing me I will just take the discount and run with it. I know that a later Fall 2014 discount could be offered closer to that timeframe, but I really don't want to book last minute. September will be good though, I like MNSSHP well enough.

Anyone else out there waiting for the military discount to be extended? When are you planning to visit and where are you planning on staying?

I'm right there with you in hoping for an extension! DH and I are celebrating our anniversary in October and would love to have DD spend a weekend with her grandparents while we go to the Epcot Food and Wine Fesival. We are keeping our fingers crossed for sure!

October 2013?

The announcements have been so random. They have done it as early as April one year, but it was October another year, and August last year.

I hope for your sake an announcement comes soon. I know Disney has said that are trying to cut back on discounts, so I worry if this one with get the chopping block if it becomes less beneficial to them or something. I have heard people say they think that Disney should just make the Military salute permanent, but I would be incredulous if that actually ever happened...

October 2013?

The announcements have been so random. They have done it as early as April one year, but it was October another year, and August last year.

I hope for your sake an announcement comes soon. I know Disney has said that are trying to cut back on discounts, so I worry if this one with get the chopping block if it becomes less beneficial to them or something. I have heard people say they think that Disney should just make the Military salute permanent, but I would be incredulous if that actually ever happened...

Yeah, we PCS Summer 2014, so it'd be our last hurrah before getting orders and preparing for a move. I'm hoping for an announcement by August so that I can figure out a budget and see if this trip would be do-able.

Making the Military Salute permanent would be such a fantastic idea on Disney's part because it brings in families who otherwise might not be able to afford the trip. I hope Disney realizes that and keeps it going. I too, would be shocked (though excited!) if it happened to become a permanent thing. If not, though, I'm definitely grateful to have had the opportunity to take part in such a great program. :)

I honestly hope they make this a permanent ticket option. It really is a great chance for military families to makes such good memories. We were supposed to go in July and would have been well in the window of the military dates. Now that we have pushed it to November, I'm scared that we are going to not have this ticket option. :stir: Brewing up my magic spell to make TPTB understand the need to support our troops.

I'm waiting to see if it gets extended as well. We're going 11/29-12/8 and a discount would be a wonderful surprise! We're still going discount or not but it would be nice. So fingers crossed we hear soon.

You should keep an eye on the Disney Military Tips blog. He has discussed this and seems to have some pretty good contacts. I think the most recent speculation is that they probably will extend it, won't announce it until late in the summer when they see if it is a good financial move, and that we can hope to see it pop up for the next couple of years, at least.

I too hope they continue this discount! Returning from a deployment this gives many families a great vacation, but adding another 1K to a trip would stop many families from Coming to Disney!

We don't use our military passes since we are AP holders, but I think they should make this permanent. Many military families would never be able to swing a trip to Disney because of costs and their low pay. This is a great way to give back to those who sacrifice so much. Even though the prices are much more than they were when the promotion first started it is still a great deal.

I have been part of a military family for 33 years, and have seen support for the military wax and wane over the years. I do not expect many current military discounts to be extended permanently. After we withdraw most of the troops from Afghanistan, and Americans finally realize just how much the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are going to cost this country for all of our lifetimes, support for military families is going to decrease along with these discounts. So, enjoy them while they last.

The newsletter from the Military Disney Tips blog that came in my inbox today indicated that there is a decent chance that a renewal will happen. Of course, that is far from an official Disney announcement, but it is a little bit encouraging.

I really don't expect them to keep renewing the discounted rooms and tickets indefinitely. It is wonderful that they are doing it right now as it benefits both Disney and the military community but, we always have the option of a spacious room at SoG and the ability to purchase slightly less expensive tickets with no sales tax, which I appreciate.

Trust me, I appreciate what Disney has done for military members and their families. My family has had the opportunity to take two Disney vacations, both following deployments, because of their "Military Salute". I am grateful for those experiences. I honestly do not expect the discounts to continue forever, or even for much longer now that we no longer will be sending troops to Afghanistan or Iraq. But I do hope to get one more vacation in before the promos end...

To be honest, I LOVE Disney. This is in large part due to my wonderful experiences during these two recent vacations. It was good marketing, because Disney "hooked" me into a lifelong customer. I am sure we will take more Disney vacations in the future. The difference is we may stay shorter, or may stay off site, to cut the costs that we wont save with the military discounts. I will still spend the same amount of money on my vacation, because that is what is within my budget, but I will just get "less" for the amount I am spending.

That being said, I would love the discount to go into 2014 for my next vacation because I really want to try a Deluxe hotel, which I have never stayed in, and I feel I could never afford the deluxe otherwise.

We are also waiting for word for our vacation 10/16-10/21. We have already booked using our AAA, but are eagerly waiting for the military salute discount!! We will still go, but would be able to save a lot of money! We have been fortunate enough to go several times with the salute and have stayed deluxe where we otherwise would not have! Thanks to Disney for what they have already done and hoping for another extension!!:cheer2:

What I would love to see is some sort of deployment discount package that becomes permanent. Something for families that go through a 180-day+ separation so that they can have a vacation after. (And I say that as someone who has a husband unlikely to see that sort of deployment anytime soon. I just feel like it would be great if families who go through that hardship could count on a discount later. No idea if Disney could afford to run a program like that but it would be cool.)

What is the savings on rooms with the AAA discount?

The AAA discount is about 10-15%. It helps, but certainly not as good as the military. You have to call Disney directly for the AAA discount or book through AAA. It cannot be done online. I was also a little disappointed today to find out that the MNSSHP tickets only offered a military discount for September and not October.:sad2:

Thanks! At least we save a little then and hopefully we can save more if they extend the military promotion :)

The AAA discount is about 10-15%. It helps, but certainly not as good as the military. You have to call Disney directly for the AAA discount or book through AAA. It cannot be done online. I was also a little disappointed today to find out that the MNSSHP tickets only offered a military discount for September and not October.:sad2:

Thats sort of a bummer. I plan on going in September of 2014, so I would still get to take advantage of the discount for MNSSHP, but it makes me nervous. It seems they may be "weaning" us military folks off the amazing discounts we have experienced over the past several years. Where they still like $35 with the military discount?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter