Military dress blues too dressy?

llqool

DIS Veteran
We are sailing on a 7 day Alaska cruise in May. Our only other cruising experience was a 3 day Wonder cruise to the Bahamas, and things were pretty informal on that cruise. My question is, will my husband feel out of place wearing his dress blue uniform on formal and semi-formal nights? I have heard that people don't truly get formal on formal nights. I don't want to have to bring several different outfits for him (luggage space is limited!), so I was hoping the dress blues could be worn for several different occasions (Palo, formal, semi-formal)

Has anyone seen servicemembers wearing military dress uniforms on these nights?

I think he would be just fine and not overdressed! I've seen servicemen in their dress uniforms on formal nights.

On our 7 and 15-night cruises, there were a lot of men in tuxes or nice suits. I even saw a man wearing a formal outfit with a kilt.

That said, I've also seen men wearing something as simple as khakis and a sport coat or even shorts on formal night. On the longer cruises, it did seem that a majority dressed up nicely. I wore a tux myself and didn't feel overdressed.

We are sailing on a 7 day Alaska cruise in May. Our only other cruising experience was a 3 day Wonder cruise to the Bahamas, and things were pretty informal on that cruise. My question is, will my husband feel out of place wearing his dress blue uniform on formal and semi-formal nights? I have heard that people don't truly get formal on formal nights. I don't want to have to bring several different outfits for him (luggage space is limited!), so I was hoping the dress blues could be worn for several different occasions (Palo, formal, semi-formal)

My DH wore his Blues when we cruised. He only wore them on formal night and he wasn't the only one doing so.

Kristen

Please do wear them with pride:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 tell your husband "thank you" for serving :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Rob

there is nothing wrong witht he dress blues.. some people wear tuxes others pants and dress shirt. what a great photo..thank you to your husband for his service..

Absolutely! And he may get a few handshakes and many "thank you's"! ;):thumbsup2 We always do. Thank him from us.

My husband - 20 years retired from Air Force - loves wearing his uniform. We are so proud of him and are grateful to the kind people on our cruise who will shake his hand and pat him on the back - saying thank you. Please wear the uniform and accept all of the warm heartfelt thank you's from your fellow passengers.

My husband is Active Duty Air Force and he wore his Mess Dress for Formal night on both of our 7 night Magic cruises and he didn't feel out of place at all. For Semi-Formal night he wore a suit and for Palo he wore dress pants and jacket (well, and a shirt obviously, LOL, I just can't remember if he wore a tie to Palo or not).

...My question is, will my husband feel out of place wearing his dress blue uniform on formal and semi-formal nights? I have heard that people don't truly get formal on formal nights. ...

Dress uniforms are not only totally appropriate but are also much appreciated. If he wanted to he could wear it every night and no one would say a thing - except to thank him.

Men wear everything from a tux to just a nice shirt and pants, and I've seen several wearing their dress uniforms.

USMCR (Ret)

I think he would look great and fit right in. My dh would love to wear his dress mess, but it cost so much that he's worried it would get lost or something.

I say go for it. On our last cruise most people dressed the part for formal nights. I saw only one guy wearing shorts, t-shirt, baseball cap, and sandals :scared1: CM's let him in and he was the ONLY ONE out of place. Every one else was at least dressed in business casual.

Wear it with pride!!! Rob always wears his dress blues for formal and semiformal dinner. I feel so proud on his arm, plus....who can resist a man in uniform :blush

Very strong military family: Rob~36 years, Derek(son)~8 years & Erin(daughter)~6 years ~ all three still in the service and me~20 years and retired.

Judy :pixiedust:

you only have to worry about being 'upstaged' if somebody shows up in a Kilt.. hehehe and yes it has happend on our cruise.

Oh, and Navy Officer Dress whites( Chokers AND Mess Dress) are frequently mistaken for Cruise Personnel. BY cruise Personnel..heheheh:thumbsup2

DH uses Mess Dress and brings both Jackets so he wears one on Formal night and the other on semi formal( or in a specialty restaurant). on board pressing is actually less expensive than him getting it doen on base 2/3 of the time.

and while we have never expected it, on such nights we have yet to pay for a before dinner drink.. and EVERY time its been anonymous so we can't even express our appreciation.

even on the most casdual of cruises, I say go for it! they always look so yummy with all their ribbons and medals.

What a wonderful idea! I personally like seeing men in their dress blues...I don't have any family in the military right now, but my father was in WWII and I have his uniform (inherited it after he passed away 17 years ago). As a passenger, it brings a smile to my face to see men in their uniform and gives me a chance to say thank you for their service.

My husband always brings his mess or dress blues and wears them on formal night. I am thinking that in the past, the Wonder had done three and four night cruises which only had a semi-formal night, and many people ignored that. I have only been on the Wonder for Christmas, and since it was a special occasion people dressed up. Since you are on a seven night, I would assume that most people will participate in formal night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter