Military Discount

reidandlauren

Earning My Ears
We are going on our first Disney Cruise in 13 days, leaving out of Port Canaveral for 4 nights on the Dream. We are beyond excited. One of the reasons that we chose DCL and love Disney as a whole is their military rates on tickets and cruising. Any company that has that kind of loyalty has our family promised to them for life.

I was looking online to compare rates for an April 2014 cruise so that I had it ready so I could compare the rate that the ship gave me for booking while on board (to show my husband what a deal we were getting). I realized that they don't have military rates plugged in online yet, but then I saw that going forward you can only use your military rate on your first sailing? Is this true? I was hoping I just misunderstood this.

I was hoping to book my 30th birthday trip on the boat, but without the military discount it may make that much harder on the family. I would be so sad if they start cutting out their military rates.

We are going on our first Disney Cruise in 13 days, leaving out of Port Canaveral for 4 nights on the Dream. We are beyond excited. One of the reasons that we chose DCL and love Disney as a whole is their military rates on tickets and cruising. Any company that has that kind of loyalty has our family promised to them for life.

I was looking online to compare rates for an April 2014 cruise so that I had it ready so I could compare the rate that the ship gave me for booking while on board (to show my husband what a deal we were getting). I realized that they don't have military rates plugged in online yet, but then I saw that going forward you can only use your military rate on your first sailing? Is this true? I was hoping I just misunderstood this.

I was hoping to book my 30th birthday trip on the boat, but without the military discount it may make that much harder on the family. I would be so sad if they start cutting out their military rates.

I believe the Miltary rates are usually only offered on certain cruises - it's not a standard discount that can be applied to just any/all cruises. It is NOT restricted to a first cruise. You can do an onboard booking of a "dummy date" if you don't have a specific date in mind. And you can continue to watch for Military offers - I understand they are such fantastic offers that it is sometimes a cost-saving to even cancel and take penalty if within the penalty period.

Enjoy your cruise!

I have never heard it only being available for your first sailing. However, military rates, like Florida resident rates & other discounts, are not guaranteed for any particular cruise. They are offered on cruises that have been difficult to sell to try and fill the ship, so usually are announced closer to the sail date and require a code to get the price. If you have a cruise booked that has a military rate announced, your TA can call and make the adjustment with DCL. A good TA will be aware to look for this discount for you once you notify them you qualify for it.

I think what you may have read is they recently changed where you can only book one cabin per military member. So you can't book 2 or 3 staterooms, only one.

I watch the military rates myself, and they seem to only come out about 60/90 days or so ahead, with some exceptions. This year I have noticed some further ahead than that, like the transatlantic and PC cruises, etc.
So if you are looking for April 2014 I wouldn't expect to see anything in the military section, if they're going to offer it, until about a year from now, just my guess.

Ok, thank you.

I saw the rule change only recently on the Disney FAQ site. Now that I look again that sentence is now gone...bet the wording was brought to their attention. Now it says that only 50 rooms are reserved per ship.

:)We have never been able to get a military deal. It always happens after we get back or on another cruise.

Usually they list them on Tuesdays (I don't know why) but I looked this morning and there are many more added since yesterday. But they only go through May right now. As others said it's usually only 60-90 days out at most. I suspect it is released after the PIF date when they check their inventory.

It would make planning so much easier if they did just always offer one or had a set one for the year like the parks do, but no such luck.

I look at them weekly and am not so patiently waiting for June dates ;) Oh and to clarify, you can get more than one room for immediate family just not extended family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter