MIL might be on oxygen.

dskib

DIS Veteran
Hi all-

We're planning a family vacation in the fall of 2011 for my MIL, who will be 83. She's pretty spunky, but we know that we'll need to rent a wheelchair, as she can no way do Disney walking :)

She has had to use oxygen off and on a few times in the last year, and it looks like she's going back on again. So I'm just looking ahead so I can prepare in advance in case it turns into a permanent thing.

Does anyone have any experience traveling with someone who needs to have oxygen? How did you handle it?

Thanks!
Deb

Hi and :welcome: to disABILITIES!

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information. Go to Post #3 (which has items listed alphabetically) and scroll down to oxygen. There are suggestions and links you will find useful.

Or, if you want an easier route to the FAQs, click on the link in my signature.

DD uses O2 and we've had 2 trips now with no problem. I'm asuming you will be flying. If this is true, you will need to plan ahead- months not years:lmao: Your O2 service provider will have to send her prescription to a company you choose to set up a concentrator rental and delivery of cylinders to your resort, if you are indeed using cylinders. You may need a POC (portable oxygen concentrator) to fly with, and if her flow rate is low, it may suit her needs in the parks as well. Once you get a system figured out it becomes quite easy, well as easy as dealing with O2 can be.:rotfl: Your O2 provider can help you just by talking to you and explaining things to you or answering any questions you will have. Traveling with O2 is certainly more complicated, but with careful planning it is very doable, and necessary to help those we love have an active life. You are wise to be thinking ahead. It helps in forseeing any potential problems.

DD uses O2 and we've had 2 trips now with no problem. I'm assuming you will be flying. If this is true, you will need to plan ahead- months not years:lmao: Your O2 service provider will have to send her prescription to a company you choose to set up a concentrator rental and delivery of cylinders to your resort, if you are indeed using cylinders. You may need a POC (portable oxygen concentrator) to fly with, and if her flow rate is low, it may suit her needs in the parks as well. Once you get a system figured out it becomes quite easy, well as easy as dealing with O2 can be.:rotfl: Your O2 provider can help you just by talking to you and explaining things to you or answering any questions you will have. Traveling with O2 is certainly more complicated, but with careful planning it is very doable, and necessary to help those we love have an active life. You are wise to be thinking ahead. It helps in foreseeing any potential problems.

:thumbsup2

Hi all-

We're planning a family vacation in the fall of 2011 for my MIL, who will be 83. She's pretty spunky, but we know that we'll need to rent a wheelchair, as she can no way do Disney walking :)

She has had to use oxygen off and on a few times in the last year, and it looks like she's going back on again. So I'm just looking ahead so I can prepare in advance in case it turns into a permanent thing.

Does anyone have any experience traveling with someone who needs to have oxygen? How did you handle it?

Thanks!
Deb

Deb,

I was on O2 at Disneyworld last year. Will you be driving or flying? Also suggest you look into renting an ECV from one of the available companies. I used Randy's who were great. But I've heard other are fine too. Suggest you read Post #5 about this.

Deb,

I was on O2 at Disneyworld last year. Will you be driving or flying? Also suggest you look into renting an ECV from one of the available companies. I used Randy's who were great. But I've heard other are fine too. Suggest you read Post #5 about this.

We'll be flying. And trust me, as much as we'd prefer her to use an ECV, she's better off in the wheelchair. I know people have strong opinions, but she's completely convinced herself that since she's never driven or even ridden a bike, that she can't use one. And frankly, she'd hit people. I know it. We're going into this trip knowing that it will probably be her last time there and knowing that it's really her vacation more than ours, so we're just biting the bullet and taking turns pushing. All who know her are agreed that this is really the best ;)

Thanks for the thoughts guys!
Deb

We'll be flying. And trust me, as much as we'd prefer her to use an ECV, she's better off in the wheelchair. I know people have strong opinions, but she's completely convinced herself that since she's never driven or even ridden a bike, that she can't use one. And frankly, she'd hit people. I know it. We're going into this trip knowing that it will probably be her last time there and knowing that it's really her vacation more than ours, so we're just biting the bullet and taking turns pushing. All who know her are agreed that this is really the best ;)

Thanks for the thoughts guys!
Deb

Deb,

Sounds like you know best here. Good luck. Since I drove down, the O2 method I used (liquid O2) is probably different then your MIL's. But if it is liquid, let me know and I can share what I did.

DD uses O2 and we've had 2 trips now with no problem. I'm asuming you will be flying. If this is true, you will need to plan ahead- months not years:lmao: Your O2 service provider will have to send her prescription to a company you choose to set up a concentrator rental and delivery of cylinders to your resort, if you are indeed using cylinders. You may need a POC (portable oxygen concentrator) to fly with, and if her flow rate is low, it may suit her needs in the parks as well. Once you get a system figured out it becomes quite easy, well as easy as dealing with O2 can be.:rotfl: Your O2 provider can help you just by talking to you and explaining things to you or answering any questions you will have. Traveling with O2 is certainly more complicated, but with careful planning it is very doable, and necessary to help those we love have an active life. You are wise to be thinking ahead. It helps in forseeing any potential problems.

I was diagnosed with PH a few days ago.. just 3 weeks before our WDW vacation! :sad2: Talk about scrambling to learn the ins and outs of O2 very quickly. :scared1: I've really had no time to come to terms with this disease yet, but maybe that's a good thing right now.

My Health care and O2 providers have been just awesome about helping me get ready for our vacation. Even the people we're renting the villa from (who live in the UK) are being so kind and helpful arranging for their management people to be at the house for delivery and pick up of the concentrator as our flights arrive late and leave early.

Our O2 provider is supplying my POC and the Concentrator free of charge. I guess they do this annual travel courtesy thing for all their customers. What a wonderfully kind thing to do!

The POC I'm renting is an Evergo. My Dr. wants me to fly with a "4" (psi ?) while in flight so they're packing an extra set of batteries for me because our flight is 5 1/2 hours.

I don't need oxygen while at rest, but need it if I'm going to be walking. I'm trying to figure out what O2 container to take to the parks with me. I could take the Evergo, but after seeing what one of these cost, I'm kinda paranoid about someone stealing it while it's in my scooter and I'm on an attraction. My Dr. did not restrict me but told me to use my common sense when choosing rides. Guess that means no Manatee @ SeaWorld or the wild side of Mission Space for me. :rotfl: (I wasn't going to ride those anyway. ;) )

So.. what does one do with the POC while on attractions? I was thinking of a bicycle lock. What do you think?

I went on the evergo web site and looked at it. It seems it does not have a cart, so you will have to carry it with you wherever you go. That's 10 extra pounds- it sounds heavy. DD has her own wheelchair. We use the cylinders- I just find it easier than the POC. We tried the POC, just hanging it from the back of her wc, but it was always sending out alarms, and if I was away from the wc , DD couldn't reach the machine to stop the alarm. Also, I was continually going to first aid to store extra batteries, charge dead batteries - it was always on my mind and didn't contribute toward a restful vcation.

Now, we use the POC on the plane and getting from the airport to the resort, but get the oxygen service provider down there to deliver cylinders when they deliver the concentrator to the hotel. I have 2 holders for the cylinders on the back of DD's wc, or I can store a cylinder at first aid. DD is on 6 lpm so a E cylinder lasts about 4-7 hours. She breathes very fast so the conserver pumps the O2 out fast. You are at 4 psi in flight, but you didn't say what your needs are on the ground. I'm assuming they are at 2 or 3 psi. A cylinder will last you a good long time. You mentioned a scooter. I know you will lose some independence if you transfer to a wc, but you may want to consider it if you have someone to push you. Many rides are wc accessable but not scooter accessable. If you are using a scooter, really all I can suggest is on some rides such as POC transfering to a WC, and hanging the POC off the handles. When you go on the ride, the wc will be waiting for you where you get off. If you take your POC with you on the ride, there is the posibility it could get damaged. I suspect you could go a few minutes without the O2,since you will be sitting in the boat, in which case the POC will be ok, leaving it with the wc. make sure you have it shut off so no alarms are going off.;) On rides such as Peter Pan, just carry it on board with you. a gentle ride such as that should not bump or harm the POC.

Just another thought. Do you have a backup plan in case the POC gets damaged? It's a fearful thing to be dependent on O2. It sounds like you do not have a company to look after you down there. We use Lincare. Our O2 provider here at home forwards the presciption to them and they look after us very well. Any way I can help, just let me know. And have a safe trip. Make lots of wonderful memories.

I went on the evergo web site and looked at it. It seems it does not have a cart, so you will have to carry it with you wherever you go. That's 10 extra pounds- it sounds heavy. DD has her own wheelchair. We use the cylinders- I just find it easier than the POC. We tried the POC, just hanging it from the back of her wc, but it was always sending out alarms, and if I was away from the wc , DD couldn't reach the machine to stop the alarm. Also, I was continually going to first aid to store extra batteries, charge dead batteries - it was always on my mind and didn't contribute toward a restful vcation.

Now, we use the POC on the plane and getting from the airport to the resort, but get the oxygen service provider down there to deliver cylinders when they deliver the concentrator to the hotel. I have 2 holders for the cylinders on the back of DD's wc, or I can store a cylinder at first aid. DD is on 6 lpm so a E cylinder lasts about 4-7 hours. She breathes very fast so the conserver pumps the O2 out fast. You are at 4 psi in flight, but you didn't say what your needs are on the ground. I'm assuming they are at 2 or 3 psi. A cylinder will last you a good long time. You mentioned a scooter. I know you will lose some independence if you transfer to a wc, but you may want to consider it if you have someone to push you. Many rides are wc accessable but not scooter accessable. If you are using a scooter, really all I can suggest is on some rides such as POC transfering to a WC, and hanging the POC off the handles. When you go on the ride, the wc will be waiting for you where you get off. If you take your POC with you on the ride, there is the posibility it could get damaged. I suspect you could go a few minutes without the O2,since you will be sitting in the boat, in which case the POC will be ok, leaving it with the wc. make sure you have it shut off so no alarms are going off.;) On rides such as Peter Pan, just carry it on board with you. a gentle ride such as that should not bump or harm the POC.

Just another thought. Do you have a backup plan in case the POC gets damaged? It's a fearful thing to be dependent on O2. It sounds like you do not have a company to look after you down there. We use Lincare. Our O2 provider here at home forwards the presciption to them and they look after us very well. Any way I can help, just let me know. And have a safe trip. Make lots of wonderful memories.

I use 2 psi at home. I have a couple of portable cylinders (size 6?) that have a shoulder strap. I'd like to use those in the parks. 2 should be plenty for a full day. One would probably be enough, but rather have more than I need than not enough. I'll ask my O2 supply company here to ask the Co. in Florida to leave a couple of them at the house. They're working with Burkley Oxygen in Kissimmee.

Think I'll stick with the scooter, but will hang the cylinder on the back or arm of the WC when I transfer to the attraction. I plan on sticking to the scooter as much as I can... walking as little as possible. I'm kind of confused as to how much exercise I should get. On one hand, they want me to exercise, on the other, they don't want me to over exert myself. That narrows it down pretty good, doncha think? :rotfl:

I use 2 psi at home. I have a couple of portable cylinders (size 6?) that have a shoulder strap. I'd like to use those in the parks. 2 should be plenty for a full day. One would probably be enough, but rather have more than I need than not enough. I'll ask my O2 supply company here to ask the Co. in Florida to leave a couple of them at the house. They're working with Burkley Oxygen in Kissimmee.

Think I'll stick with the scooter, but will hang the cylinder on the back or arm of the WC when I transfer to the attraction. I plan on sticking to the scooter as much as I can... walking as little as possible. I'm kind of confused as to how much exercise I should get. On one hand, they want me to exercise, on the other, they don't want me to over exert myself. That narrows it down pretty good, doncha think? :rotfl:

Sounds like you have things pretty much under control. In the parks you have the use of a POC and cylinders as well. That's good. You can store what you are not using at the time at First Aid. You are wise to take your O2 supplies with you, not leaving them outside on your scooter, where they could be taken or damaged. The CMs at each ride can direct you, but don't forget to get a guidebook for guests with disabilaties at Guest services. They can answer your questions there as well.

As for exercise, just listen to your body. It will tell you if you are overdoing it. It is very necessary, but I can understand how concerned about it others must feel. Your deep breathing exercises will help. Have a great vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter