MIL almost ruined the surprise!

sassie_kat

Mouseketeer
So we (me, hubby and BIL) stealth planned a trip for our 4 kids. We started planning just shy of 45 days out and we leave tomorrow!! The kids have NO idea. My niece is so cute - whenever we get together she asks if someday it would be okay if we all went to WDW together. When our kids talk about our past trip (which seems like every day) they always ask when we're going again. We've been able to push them off by reminding them that I'm not working right now and Disney takes a lot of money. They all still love to talk and plan about what rides they're going to go on together. Who's going to sit with whom etc.

Anyway, like I said, we've kept it a secret. My MIL was over yesterday and the kids were all sitting in the same room while we chatted. As she gets ready to leave she tells my husband "well, I hope you can relax and enjoy your trip." :headache: At which point I start shaking my head no trying to get her attention. She continues on with "You're spending an awful lot of money on this trip to be in such a bad mood just a couple of days before you leave." And that is where I jump in with, trip? we're not going a trip any time soon. Of course, the kids leap on the idea of a trip and want to know what's going on. My MIL fumbles and says something about when we make a trip over to her house (20 minutes away!) and she's got books or something.

We walked her out and the kids were playing as she left. She apologized and I told her it would all be okay. The kids came up to me after she drove away and wanted to know about the trip. I feel bad, but I actually used the line "well, Honey's old and sometimes she gets confused." :lmao: Ha! Just a little longer and I can release the breath I've been holding for so long!!!! :banana:

Oh fun! The kids are all going to be so excited. I'm excited for you all. Sorry to hear MIL almost gave it away. At least she was apologetic. Do you think you might do a trip report? I'd love to hear more about the kids reaction and your experience!

:rotfl:Love that her punishment for almost spilling the beans is getting called old. :rotfl:

I hope they remain blissfully ignorant until you officially break the news!

I hope you can keep the secret going and have a fantastic trip. My FIL tried to spill the beans a few times and at least my dd is only 4 and didn't catch on.

Thanks everybody! Luckily my kids (6.5, 4.5 and 3) are pretty easily distracted and by allowing them to play outside on their bikes for a few extra minutes I think I got their minds off this "mythical" trip. It helped a lot that we had swim lessons today and didn't have a lot of down time. Just one more big sleep and then we start the subtle hints!

And this is the main reason we haven't told any of our family about our upcoming trip. We are taking DD4 to celebrate her 5th birthday the week of April 8th. I've planned BBB in the Castle and CRT on her actual birthday (9th) and so many other fun Character meals I know she will enjoy. I'm so excited doing all this planning and she is blissfully unaware! My poor DH and my closest friend is the only one I can talk to about this...and I think I'm wearing them out. lol.

If we told our family, they would probably spill the beans before we left and I would be kind of annoyed...especially if it was by the MIL. lol I feel your pain.
I think we will let them know the night before we leave. We have an early morning flight otherwise I'd tell them all then.

Hopefully, you will have the surprise for your kids you envisioned. :)

Wife and I made a conscious decision to not tell either set of parents. We're going in May and have been booked since October. We know our parents. If we would have told them, one MIL or the other would have spilled the beans by now.

My husband and I are the worst for keeping secrets. We don't mean to spill the beans, but... My husband plugs his ears (and loudly sings la-la-la-la) whenever anyone prefaces something with the words, "Don't tell anyone..".

Your MIL probably feels pretty crappy about the secret spillage. :guilty:

Have a great time!!!

We just got back yesterday - at 2:30 in the morning!!! (17 hours on the road and my husband only drove for 30 minutes . . . ugh!) I'm working on a trip report but we had such a good time despite

a) the reaction to the surprise being underwhelming. I wanted to help the kids connect the dots (new Disney PJs, shorts to wear when they woke with new Mickey socks, activity bags filled with Disney themed items, Disney movie on the DVD) and let them come to the conclusion on their own, but my husband couldn't hold it any more and told them while we were eating breakfast.

b) my oldest developing a HORRIBLE cold on our trip down which lasted the entire trip. He had a slight fever each day and was hounded by a terrible cough. He did his best to cough into his elbow but my niece got great delight in seeing him get in trouble so at the first hint of his coughing, she would recoil in horror and exclaim that he had coughed on her. I bit my tongue for as long as I could, but when she pulled that nonsense at dinner on our last night and was seated ACROSS the table from him, I finally called her out.

c) every last one of us getting sick in the end.

Anyway, despite all that we had a great time. The kids loved being with their cousin. My husband and his brother got along surprisingly well for the duration of the trip. We got SO much more accomplished than I did on our first trip but we never felt rushed or pushed. I found out that really, I could do this kind of trip on my own. Yes, my husband was physically there, but he had to do work several days in the hotel room and I was able to handle all three kids in the park. It will only get easier as they get older. I have a feeling that I'll be taking them on these types of trips on my own in the future.

I hope that you and the kids have a great trip.

I know better than to tell either set of grandparents about our September surprise trip. Our dd is 4, but she'll be closing in on 5 by the time of our trip, so I think that she is at a good age for a surprise. I love my parents and in-laws, but someone form either side would end up spilling the beans. My dad would be the likely one from my side. He is terrible with secrets. Heck, he can barely contain his excitement when they get our dd something that she really wants for Christmas, so keeping Disney a secret is out :rotfl: We went last September and we had a magical time. It was better that I could have ever hoped for. Even with dd getting some type of funky 2 day bug and dh and I getting blisters the size of Texas, it was still the best trip ever and it really didn't slow us down much.

I have mentioned to my mother that my TA was able to offer us a good deal if we decided to go back, but she has no idea that it's booked and we've made payments on it. I'll probably tell them a day or so before leaving. We leave on a Sunday and dd will have school the entire week before we leave, so things should work out ok....I hope ;)

sassie_kat said:
We just got back yesterday - at 2:30 in the morning!!! (17 hours on the road and my husband only drove for 30 minutes . . . ugh!) I'm working on a trip report but we had such a good time despite

a) the reaction to the surprise being underwhelming. I wanted to help the kids connect the dots (new Disney PJs, shorts to wear when they woke with new Mickey socks, activity bags filled with Disney themed items, Disney movie on the DVD) and let them come to the conclusion on their own, but my husband couldn't hold it any more and told them while we were eating breakfast.

b) my oldest developing a HORRIBLE cold on our trip down which lasted the entire trip. He had a slight fever each day and was hounded by a terrible cough. He did his best to cough into his elbow but my niece got great delight in seeing him get in trouble so at the first hint of his coughing, she would recoil in horror and exclaim that he had coughed on her. I bit my tongue for as long as I could, but when she pulled that nonsense at dinner on our last night and was seated ACROSS the table from him, I finally called her out.

c) every last one of us getting sick in the end.

Anyway, despite all that we had a great time. The kids loved being with their cousin. My husband and his brother got along surprisingly well for the duration of the trip. We got SO much more accomplished than I did on our first trip but we never felt rushed or pushed. I found out that really, I could do this kind of trip on my own. Yes, my husband was physically there, but he had to do work several days in the hotel room and I was able to handle all three kids in the park. It will only get easier as they get older. I have a feeling that I'll be taking them on these types of trips on my own in the future.

I'm excited to read your trip report! Sorry to hear about illness but glad you all had fun anyway!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter