Mike Huckabee on gays and AIDS

NewJersey

DIS Veteran
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-ap120807-huckrecord,1,3512813.story

When he ran for Senate in 1992, he was asked a number of questions from the AP on his views.

Mike Huckabee once advocated isolating AIDS patients from the general public, opposed increased federal funding in the search for a cure and said homosexuality could "pose a dangerous public health risk."

"I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk."

But thankfully, Huckabee now favors increased funding for AIDS research. To his credit in 1992, we didn't know nearly as much about the disease as we do today, but from what I have read it was common knowledge in the early 90s that it could not be spread by human to human contact.

The fact that he views my lifestyle as 'aberrant, unnatural and sinful' as well as it posing a dangerous public health risk, says a lot more about his character than mine. This man is unfit to be President.

I probably shoudn't be posting now (hello beer), but I agree that Huckabee is unfit. I hate how him and Romney are trying to kiss the ***** of the religious right. Ack.

Hello wine :teeth:

Love this video of Romney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9IJUkYUbvI

"I will do more for gay rights then Ted Kennedy" :lmao: Wow, Romney once seemed to suggest he's more liberal than Ted Kennedy.

Romney is the biggest flip flopper. Really you don't want to get me started. And how some people are so ****ing enamored by his last speech. oh Please. He did not say anything of any relevance.

Looking at all the candidates, I have to admit there is not one I am gaga over. I will vote for Guiliani in the primary. I hate that there is not a legitimate Liberatarian candiation. I also hate how Ron Paul is trying to be that candidate. Explain abortion rights and gay/lesbian rights then.

I wish there was a real libertarian candidate that believed there was no reason privacy should play into policy.

P.S. Sunset wheat is good.

Romney is the biggest flip flopper. Really you don't want to get me started. And how some people are so ****ing enamored by his last speech. oh Please. He did not say anything of any relevance.

Looking at all the candidates, I have to admit there is not one I am gaga over. I will vote for Guiliani in the primary. I hate that there is not a legitimate Liberatarian candiation. I also hate how Ron Paul is trying to be that candidate. Explain abortion rights and gay/lesbian rights then.

I wish there was a real libertarian candidate that believed there was no reason privacy should play into policy.

Ron Paul is the most libertarian candidate you will ever see.

I thought his speech was full of one-liners but little substance. It was just pandering to the religious right.

I'd like Ron Paul except for his positions on gay rights and abortion like you say. I don't know who I'm voting for yet in the primary - either Obama or Clinton but none of them really do it for me.

I'm sick of all of them.

Pass me some sunset wheat.

You seemed so sensible until you said you'd vote for Guiliani. Must be the beer talking?

Hello Sudafed and Niquil!:thumbsup2

I think this guy is a complete idiot! I can't believe he actually talked about isolating those with aids! Even in the early 90's that would have been unacceptable!:mad:

saying homosexuality is a sin, I dont no why thats news, most main stream Preachers believe that what the Bible teaches. But the hiding away people with aids, sounds real nutty to me. Houston we have a problem with this candidate :rotfl:

To his credit in 1992, we didn't know nearly as much about the disease as we do today.

We knew enough in 1992 for him not to advocate what he was advocating, if he had bothered to be interested enough to actually get the facts. It was nothing more than ignorance and prejudice on his part.

the homosexuality is a sin isn't news (even though I disagree) but the fact that he wanted to isolate those with AIDS and believes my lifestyle poses a risk to society is pretty nutty. I can't believe this man is winning in Iowa, SC, and 2nd in national polls. The religious right of the Republican party is a scary wing in my opinion.

We knew enough in 1992 for him not to advocate what he was advocating, if he had bothered to be interested enough to actually get the facts. It was nothing more than ignorance and prejudice on his part.

Ignorance, prejudice, and I'll throw in pandering as well. So I guess he doesn't do research on AIDS nor does he do it on intelligence reports about Iran.

He's an ordained Baptist minister, his views are not inconsistent with many on the religous right in regards to homosexuality.

The religious right of the Republican party is a scary wing in my opinion.

Hi Tim, Im part of the vaule voters, and let me tell you that me or anyone I know thinks that is crazy.

Here is why this guy is getting the votes, Regan put together 3 conservative groups the Defense, Economics and Religious. This election , 2 of the groups kicked out the Religious conservatives with Guillani , so the religious right flexed there muscles with this guy, in the end they will agree on either Romney or Thompson, leaving Gulliana and Huckabee out.

Hi Tim, Im part of the vaule voters, and let me tell you that me or anyone I know thinks that is crazy.

Here is why this guy is getting the votes, Regan put together 3 conservative groups the Defense, Economics and Religious. This election , 2 of the groups kicked out the Religious conservatives with Guillani , so the religious right flexed there muscles with this guy, in the end they will agree on either Romney or Thompson, leaving Gulliana and Huckabee out.

Yeah, I totally see why he is getting the votes - until now, the religious right did not have a candidate that they could coalesce around but it seems now that Huckabee is their man. However, I just don't think that any candidate or voter should expect that their religious values should be brought into the forefront and used for policy. The only argument I have heard against gay marriage is that it goes against religious teachings - hey, I can understand that some religions think homosexuality is a sin but they shouldn't use that as a basis for denying gays and lesbians the same rights afforded to straight couples. That's where this whole religious right 'values' wing of the party scares me.

That's where this whole religious right 'values' wing of the party scares me.

That's why a Giuliani vs. pick a conservative right winger is going to be so interesting. Which faction will be victorious come convention time? This is the party's chance to move a little more moderate. Let's see if they take it.

Maybe I shouldn't be posting either (hello beer)....but I find the far right to be just as detrimental and dangerous as the far left. That is all I will say, lest I get myself in trouble....;)

That's why a Giuliani vs. pick a conservative right winger is going to be so interesting. Which faction will be victorious come convention time? This is the party's chance to move a little more moderate. Let's see if they take it.

It's all going to be about which faction is more energized and ready to vote/caucus. Until a few weeks ago, I thought Guiliani was running away with this, but it'll be interesting that's for sure. The way this election has gone, we could have to wait until the convention to see who the nominee is, especially if there is no clear front-runner out of IA, NH, and SC.

Maybe I shouldn't be posting either (hello beer)....but I find the far right to be just as detrimental and dangerous as the far left. That is all I will say, lest I get myself in trouble....;)

Any time an extremist/far left or right wing of a party reers its ugly head, it's detrimental to the political process in my mind too. I'm interested to see who the Republicans nominate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter