Mid-July heat

You have patience? I admire you!!!! And, btw, we will be going in December. We always go in December. It took a pandemic to stop us from our yearly December trip and there had better NEVER be another one.
That’s great! :laughing: When in December?

This is only our 2nd Dec trip ever. We’re going Dec 16-23 and I am beyond excited.

That’s great! :laughing: When in December?

This is only our 2nd Dec trip ever. We’re going Dec 16-23 and I am beyond excited.
We usually go from about the 13th or 14th to the 20th or 21st. But it all depends on what dates are discounted. The December AP discounts usually come out around the first week in July, so we're waiting.

Would never choose to do Disney in July/August just way too hot for the miles of walking it involves. Perhaps for some this is the only time of year that works with their schedule, but we never choose that time of year to go. Just not enjoyable when it feels like you are walking on the surface of sun no matter how much water you drink or which type of light clothing you wear. I am sure the people who in live in that type of climate also don't choose to do their most strenuous outdoor activities in the middle of the day either.

You all are making me so nervous. We can only go in summer now. Our trip is late June, early July. Gah. We've never been there in the summer before and I'm hoping it's not a mistake.

I’m always surprised how little I see UV blocking umbrellas mentioned. I’m fair skinned (redhead) with a chronic illness where my body doesn’t regulate my temperature correctly and that thing is a MUST. Not only does it keep you out of the sun, it legitimately feels 10 degrees cooler underneath it. A lot of people try regular umbrellas and they might help a bit, but the UV blocking fabric is much more effective. I recommend them no matter what time of year you go.

You probably made the right decision to postpone. May can get hot, but July is another ballgame because of the humidity. I remember thinking it’d feel cooler after it stormed but I swear it felt worse. It’s like walking through a bowl of Ramen fresh out of the microwave.

We have UV blocking umbrellas and use them at Disneyland in the summer when needed. I agree they work great, and in Florida, they do double duty as rain umbrellas.

Unfortunately, when it's terribly humid like WDW in July, the cooling effect is drastically reduced. They just don't work as well as they do in drier climates.

So . . . yeah . . . the lure of WDW is too much to resist. We are indeed going. We decided to stay at AKL, so if we end up at the resort/in the room most of the day, it'll be fantastic.

Many many MANY thanks to everyone who posted!

Hit up Typhoon Lagoon! It's really fun!

You all are making me so nervous. We can only go in summer now. Our trip is late June, early July. Gah. We've never been there in the summer before and I'm hoping it's not a mistake.
It’s stupid hot, but you just have to make the best of it. We still have fun even though we hate the heat.

Book lunch reservations or eat at a QS inside. Stop in the stores. Enjoy The Hall of Presidents. Stay in the shade as much as possible. Don’t skip eating and drink a ton of water (we drink Smartwater).

You’ll be in the happiest place on Earth. Enjoy!

I live in the South so am used to heat and humidity, but WDW is a completely different level of oppressive weather. We have been in July and August several times. The weather in Vegas in July at 115 degrees is better to me than Orlando.It’s still 75 degrees and 90% humidity at 7 am and my glasses fog up as soon as we leave the hotel. And the rain showers are every afternoon, so you end up wearing a poncho (which we all know are oh so breathable) while it’s still stupid hot. Lots of water, lots of sunscreen, sun hats, UV umbrella, portable fan (not mister fans because instead of just being hot the mister makes you hot and damp and you don’t dry off with all the moisture in the air anyway), and we don’t go to the parks until late afternoon. we used to do rope drop but it’s already gross by 10 am so it’s not worth it. Also we tend to eat different when it’s so hot out…a heavy meal and then walking around in 100 degree heat is a big nope from me. I don’t understand how people can eat those giant turkey legs in summer in WDW 😜

We instead do pool first thing in morning (and you get loungers before everyone who tried the parks in the morning and retreated to the pool),shower and clean up, have a late lunch inside, and go to parks about 5.

We are stopping in for one night before a cruise in July even after all my complaining and vowing to never go back in summer 😜

Last edited:
I must be odd, because I love the heat and humidity. I actually like when it storms mid-day. Maybe it is nostalgia, but it just feels like vacation. As I’m experiencing a 55 degree rainy “summer” in Cleveland I can’t wait to be there Monday and we will be back in July! 🔥

We’ve done some end of summer trips.
We usually go from about the 13th or 14th to the 20th or 21st. But it all depends on what dates are discounted. The December AP discounts usually come out around the first week in July, so we're waiting.
Goodluck! They used to have free dining in December (i think in 2019 the checkin date went all the way to Dec 18). That’s not back yet but with attendance finally settling back down, some cool offers may come later this year.

I must be odd, because I love the heat and humidity. I actually like when it storms mid-day. Maybe it is nostalgia, but it just feels like vacation. As I’m experiencing a 55 degree rainy “summer” in Cleveland I can’t wait to be there Monday and we will be back in July! 🔥

I do have to say, after dealing with the neverending June gloom down here in Southern CA, I am actually ready for some sun and warmth. We have had MONTHS of cloudy, rainy weather with highs in the 60s. I want it to actually feel like summer on our summer vacation. 😆 We haven't had a full day of sun in I don't know how long.

I realize it'll be hot in mid-July at WDW, but how much worse will it be than it was the 2nd week of May this year? Because it was pretty darn hot then--we were there May 3rd thru the 11th--and we survived with the rope-drop-and-leave-by-noon-then-return-in-the-evening strategy.

Or is it just unbearable in July? Sun directly overhead, heat beating down on a person, and all that. Because . . . the AP discounts are pretty good for July and we're contemplating doing this but not if we end up having to stay in the room the whole time!

Thanks!
Seems like the responses are all subjective. With that… it’s too hot. Forget about it. Ugh.

Just be prepared and you will be fine. We went last year in the first half of August since that's what works for our family. My husband and middle child, in general, do NOT do well in the heat so I was definitely worried. Everyone did great. The weather probably wasn't as bad as it could have been but we were there for 10 days with plenty of hot ones. Lots of electrolytes in our water bottles, we brought little mini spray fans we only pulled out once or twice, and brought cooling towels that we didn't pull out at all! We had the time of our lives and are actually doing another summer trip this year. You've got this!

We are going in late July. We last went to WDW in mid July 2018. We didn't go into the parks in the daytime after one disastrous attempt at a morning in MK. We thought we would try to ride Splash Mountain, and it was awful how hot it was. I had to take my younger son back to Contemporary because he was not able to tolerate it. We went straight into the pool.

After that, we stuck with late afternoons amd evenings in the parks. We had 10 day tickets, so we felt like we got more than enough park time in by doing 4 or 5pm to close every night.

We have a similar plan of attack this year. 8 day tickets, will only do late afternoons into the evening at the parks. Planning to do 3 resort EEH nights (2 MK, 1 Epcot). What I like about that is the lower sun angle and additional cloud cover that the afternoons tend to have make it MUCH easier to tolerate the heat and humidity. It's the blazing sun that makes us miserable.

We also like hitting the resort pool or waterparks in the mornings after breakfast. It's so nice because there is hardly anyone there at that time. I remember I was able to literally swim laps in Stormalong Bay because it was so empty.
We are planning on using your plan of attack, not going to the parks until 4 or 5. The only park this is a problem for is DAK, which is our favorite park, since I believe they close at 7 every night, but maybe that will change.

Almost all our trips have been in July due to work / school schedules. All good advice given here. Be prepared (light clothing, UV umbrella, light backpack, sunscreen), drink a lot of water, take mid day breaks (or have Table Service lunches to get out of the heat), see indoor shows in the early afternoons.

Our strategy for MK has been rope drop, midday break, then back for dinner fireworks & stay till park closes. The rest of the parks vary, depending on our rides preferences for the individual park.

Happy planning & enjoy your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter