Mid January -- Keys to the Kingdom -- Which time to do tour?

kathy884

DIS Veteran
Wanting to do the Keys to the Kingdom tour and spend the balance of the day at the MK on Tuesday, January 12th.

We are staying offsite but will have a car. Park hours are 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tours are offered at 8:30 a.m., 9 a.m., and 9:30 a.m. Which time would you recommend that we sign up for? Crowds are expected to be pretty low and we have a modest list of attractions we want to hit after the tour that we should be able to get in easily, so from that stand point, starting at 9:30 a.m. would be fine. I'll also try to pick up a few fastpasses for later in the day at the 30 day mark if there are any times that would work well with our post tour touring plan. The good news too is that lines look very reasonable based on touringplan.com projections -- put in a custom plan there even without any fastpasses I'd have no problems with the waits projected. There is not really time to get any rides in before the tour either, given that the park officially only opens at 9 and you need to get to your tour meeting place before the actual start time. 9:30 a.m. might be a little warmer than 8:30 a.m. at that possibly quite chilly time of year. DS would also get to sleep longer with the later time. For Disney, though, we are always willing to get up early. Is it fun to see that park empty at 8:30 a.m. or is that just kind of strange? Anyway, I'd be happy to do any of the times, but would love to hear which you would pick and why. Thanks so much. Just two of us are going -- me and my 20 year old son.

Also, I'm not aware of any extra magic hours at the MK on that day, based on this.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/hours/jan16.cfm

Side note: This is something that I've had in the back of my mind as something I'd like to do for about the last eight years, so I'm really excited to finally be planning it. It's just really never worked out with our plans till now.

Last edited:
I've never been in MK before open but I have been in AK before open and it was pretty cool. I would imagine it would be neat to get pics in front of the castle without lots of people around.

I picked the 8:30 tour for first week of January! It will be nice to be inside the park before open but I mainly chose it to maximize my time after the tour. Also, if the park opens at 9, the rope drop crowd may be a bother for the later tour times (mainly just getting in the park)

First tour of the day would be best. We took the second one because the first one was sold out. The first group was slowed by someone in an ECV and we kept catching up to them and had to wait. We even missed an attraction because of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter