Mid December - weekend vs weekdays

ukstitch

<font color=deeppink>I'm not sure I'm quite your a
I'm going between 12th and 19th December. I've got 3 full days to spend in the Disney parks, so I'm wondering if there's any "advantages" in visiting at the weekend compared to on a weekday?

I noticed looking at last years opening hours that there seems to be an extra hour at the weekends, but I assume it's likely to be busier then as well? Also - are there any events that traditionally only take place at weekends around that time?

I'll just bump this up once as i'm hoping somebody must know something about this :worship:

Do the weekdays -- crowds will be way less!!!!! Especially for things like the Jedi Training Academy -- if that kind of thing is important! They might not do the fireworks, Fantasmic or the Electrical Parade -- so may want a mix. But definitely go on as many weekdays as you can. Only the crazy people go on the weekends! :goodvibes

December weekends are always packed with locals coming in for a peek at the holiday happenings. The holiday fireworks and parades are shown nightly during Dec, so go weekdays -- you won't regret it.

]December weekends are always packed with locals coming in for a peek at the holiday happenings[/B]. The holiday fireworks and parades are shown nightly during Dec, so go weekdays -- you won't regret it.

This is especially true in the evenings. I think alot of local AP holders come down for a few hours to see the lights, the parades etc. at night.

Our experience in mid Dec. on a Sunday/Monday was:

Sunday morning....as it always is. Empty till 10:30am then builds & was crazy crowded by 6:30-7pm. Very important to have a pocket full of FPs for the evening.

Monday morning....same as Sunday. Park starts to build & although not anywhere near as crowded as Sunday, it's still crowded after 6pm.

Thanks - looks like I'll try to use my 3 whole days monday - friday then.

That probably works out better actually as it means I can fit sea world in on Saturday (yes it will be busy but they only seem to do their christmas stuff on weekends so I guess that would be a plus) and magic mountain on sunday (which is only open weekends anyway).

The only downside with that plan is I'll be going to DLR on friday, then won't go again until monday. I wonder how I'll survive those 2 days ;)

If anybody has any opinions the other way or wants to confirm what's already been said then please do - I want to try to get the most out of the time that I'm there as I don't get to visit DLR very often as I'm UK based.

Do at least one DL day after your other visits. DH and I went to DLR and Magic Mountain for my 40th b-day 2 years ago and were very glad we did DLR after M Mountain. We went to MM on a Sunday and left by 2 pm - it got really crowded, there is really no way to bypass 1.5 hour long lines and the park was dirty, the bathrooms were gross and we were really tired of the hills. We did ride a few rollercoasters, but were ready to leave by 2.

We went to DLR the next day (Monday) and just marveled at the differences between the two. Clean bathrooms, friendly people, more food choices, FP and just overall better theming. So, I would do DL as your last *memory* day. That way, you stand a better chance of having really great memories of your whole trip.

I don't have any experience with USH, though, sorry.

Do at least one DL day after your other visits. DH and I went to DLR and Magic Mountain for my 40th b-day 2 years ago and were very glad we did DLR after M Mountain. We went to MM on a Sunday and left by 2 pm - it got really crowded, there is really no way to bypass 1.5 hour long lines and the park was dirty, the bathrooms were gross and we were really tired of the hills. We did ride a few rollercoasters, but were ready to leave by 2.

We went to DLR the next day (Monday) and just marveled at the differences between the two. Clean bathrooms, friendly people, more food choices, FP and just overall better theming. So, I would do DL as your last *memory* day. That way, you stand a better chance of having really great memories of your whole trip.

I don't have any experience with USH, though, sorry.

Thanks - Sea World and Magic Mountain will be the first weekend I'm there, so I'll still have all 3 full days at DLR.

Your comments on MM are interesting to me - I'm a big roller coaster fan so I'm quite looking forward to it but there's nothing I can do to avoid the weekend visit so I'm hoping it won't be too bad.

I also wouldn't make anywhere but DLR my final full day - I'm hoping to tour 4 of the other SoCal parks (SW,MM,USH and Knotts) but DLR is definitely my main reason for visiting so I'd want it to be the last thing I do before flying home :goodvibes

Your comments on MM are interesting to me - I'm a big roller coaster fan so I'm quite looking forward to it but there's nothing I can do to avoid the weekend visit so I'm hoping it won't be too bad.

Get there early - it can be kind of a drive from Anaheim. The 5 freeway is terrible - but there is almost no way to avoid it. It gets down to 2 lanes in some spots. So plan extra driving time. Then I would just pick the coasters that are most important to you. Tatsu is the best coaster there, IMO, and we went on that one first thing. Then we added some others that weren't as important to us. The lines didn't get really, really bad until about 12 or 1, and it was hot. But, we were there in Sept., not Dec. so I think the heat made a big difference, too. You could skip the raft ride that is like GRR at DCA. It was worth a miss, if you are just interested in the coasters. My DH did find a coupon for buy one get one free tickets to MM, but I haven't looked in 2 years, so I don't know if they are still available. I hope you have a great trip. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter