Micro sim for iPad 2

Lilybee

and Spikey
Hi

My DB and I are going to our happy place in under 2 weeks. We would like to get a micro sim for our iPad 2 so we can roam the net whilst we are over there.

Can anyone explain how we go about doing this ?

Cheers

Lilybee :banana:

Looks like your staying on site in dvc?, we got a wireless router from super target and plugged into room $26 cost there was cheaper but the one we got was small and fitted in suitcase better(uk wireless routers wont work due to power they are available but couldn't get in time before we went)
As were dvc the internet was free to use then we will take it back with us next time as we can do the same again
If your not DVC and staying cash think its $10.99 per 24 hour periods
Paul

Everything stated above by paulh is correct, which will give you wifi access in your room.

However, I don't think you could buy a micro sim to use the ipad2 out and about unless the ipad is unlocked i.e. not restricted to one carrier like 02 or T-Mobile. If it is unlocked it should work as you can therefore put whatever (micro) sim in you wish.

Are the iPad2's locked to a carrier as standard? I know my original iPad was carrier free and i could put any sim I wanted in it.

As to getting a micro sim, I think getting a PAYG is going to be near impossible (I'm assuming you're not going to want to sign up for a contract, even if you could!).

What you could do is get a standard sim and use a microsim cutter to convert it.

They're pretty cheap so it wouldn't be a bank breaker. Just buy onw on ebay to be delivered to your hotel room.

Be aware though that unless things have changed you only get EDGE\GPRS on PAYG, not 3G. It does me fine in my iPhone but I wouldn't use it as my only method of accessing the net.

Thanks guys. The idea was to use a micro sim whilst on my trip. Pay $15 on PAYG for the 2 weeks rather then $10 a day for the 'tinternet' in the room.

Thanks anyways. :thumbsup2

Looks like your staying on site in dvc?, we got a wireless router from super target and plugged into room $26 cost there was cheaper but the one we got was small and fitted in suitcase better(uk wireless routers wont work due to power they are available but couldn't get in time before we went)
As were dvc the internet was free to use then we will take it back with us next time as we can do the same again
If your not DVC and staying cash think its $10.99 per 24 hour periods
Paul

Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question:idea:but this is really relevant to us as i was just about to go out and buy our iPad and had planned to buy it with 3G so can use a US micro sim when there (am told by the chap in the "3" shop that it can be unlocked for about £15). Are you saying that when you got to the States you bought a wireless router which you then plugged into the internet connection in the room which made that connection effectively wireless?? You would still then pay the daily Internet rate to Disney (unless travelling as a DVC member) but using their connection wirelessly?? thanks :banana:

Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question:idea:but this is really relevant to us as i was just about to go out and buy our iPad and had planned to buy it with 3G so can use a US micro sim when there (am told by the chap in the "3" shop that it can be unlocked for about £15). Are you saying that when you got to the States you bought a wireless router which you then plugged into the internet connection in the room which made that connection effectively wireless?? You would still then pay the daily Internet rate to Disney (unless travelling as a DVC member) but using their connection wirelessly?? thanks :banana:

yep all we did was pug in router and used ipad to set up easy peasy, we could also use iphones ect on it as well.Range was quite good as SIL was 4 rooms away and they just picked it up
There are rumours that there installing wi-fi throughout (about time) think there starting at OKW
At home we use home wi-fi or when out and about its the my-fi
Paul

Are you saying that when you got to the States you bought a wireless router which you then plugged into the internet connection in the room which made that connection effectively wireless?? You would still then pay the daily Internet rate to Disney (unless travelling as a DVC member) but using their connection wirelessly?? thanks :banana:

Yes, that's right. I've done exactly the same thing for our trip next week, although I bought a travel router here.

Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question:idea:but this is really relevant to us as i was just about to go out and buy our iPad and had planned to buy it with 3G so can use a US micro sim when there thanks :banana:

We went down the non 3 g version as its cheaper to get a my-fi than a contract for it,plus you can conect 4 devices to a my-fi but if on a 3g contract only ipad
Paul

Ok forgive me if I am repeating stuff
This year we went to okw and I took my iPad. But it was a waste of time as I couldn't use it because the Internet cable didn't fit!
As you can probably tell I am rubbish with technology!
Soooo, this is my question -if I buy one of the devices you are discussing above I can plug that into the cable at okw and then my iPad will work wireless?
If so can you tell me what to buy and where I would get one from?
Once again sorry if I sound daft but I am a bit ridiculous when it comes to all this:confused3:confused3

We used apple airport express at OKW for iPad/iPhone/iPod touches - worked really well. But I've heard that Disney are rolling out wifi at OKW so depending on when you're going you might not need a router.

Be careful at Universal though. They tried to charge us the daily Internet rate per device - would have been more expensive than the room!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter