• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mickey's Fun Wheel, Ride or Not?

I was also clueless...took my DH and DD (8 or 9 at the time). I really liked it, DD was "eh" about it, but I think my husband hated it! I thought it was cool. But the motion sickness bags should have been a clue (thankfully no one got sick).

We tried it for the first time last week and have to admit it was a little nerve-wracking a few times...especially when the car starts to slide and then comes to the end and swings. My 9-yo daughter who LOVES Screamin' (5 times in two days) was a bit trepid on the Torture Wheel and decided she didn't need to do it again. Have to admit the view is pretty nice up there, but would definitely put the swinging cars into the thrill category if you have any degree of vertigo, claustrophobia, or motion sickness.

I went on the swinging cars three times in a row (it was early morning, no one lined up). I had to question why I agreed to the third time and I don't think I would do it again, but I like the swinging gondolas. You have to have a strong stomach though.

It is fun, but like others said it is a "thrill" ride. If you like the sensation of falling and swinging, then you will like it. If you are someone would could ride Tower of Terror more than once, then you'll probably be okay. We took DS on it at 15 months and he laughed and laughed. We'll see if he still likes it on this next trip since he will be 4 and will realize how high up we are this time!

I have yet to go in the swinging ones. DH is too nervous that he will get sick. Hoping I get DD7 on it when we go in 2 months. It looks fun!

I can get squeamish at heights, but this doesn't scare me at all, since it feels like you are very safe in a secure cage. Never tried the swinging one and probably won't.

Man i thought i was just a wimp for not liking the swinging cars. I've never tried the fixed cars. Dh thought it was pretty lame, so i guess it depends on your level of thrill. It didn't look that scary from the ground but that first slide down had me worried. In retrospect is not as bad as other rides with air sickness bags, eg mission to mars in epcot. You might get me on Mickey's fun wheel again but I'll never try mission to mars again.

We got in line for MFW once a couple of years ago and since neither the line nor the wheel moved in seemingly forever, we got out of line. How long does it take to go around, anyway? It seems to barely move at all, which is so unusual compared to normal ferris wheels. I get that the swinging motion is most of the movement, but to me, I don't want to be stuck in line and on a ride for forever, views or not.

DD5 and I ride this once every trip - we like to do right at regular rope drop after we ride Toy Story. DH can't stand it (he gets motion sickness) so he goes and gets RSR FP's while we ride. DD5 loves swinging back and forth and I love the view! She's loved the swinging cars since our first trip when she was 3 1/2. She likes most of the other rides she's tall enough for (Indy, BTMR, Goofy's, etc.) but does not care for Space Mtn.

I like it but I don't understand why there is nothing to hold on to! I'm always gripping the sides of the car like a maniac while my daughter squeals with glee. It's fun but I'm usually glad when it's over.
My husband has never been sick on a ride ever, and we are roller coaster junkies. The first time he rode it he turned green.

Rode it once and NEVER again. I don't think anyone in my house will. There is only one other Disney ride I can't do, and that is Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios. Nope...no way!

I thought it was OK. I'm not afraid of heights and I rarely get motion sickness; it was kinda ho-hum for me. It's certainly not on my priority list of things to do. If the line is less than 5 minutes, I might consider riding it. The view is much better in the non-rocking gondolas if that is what you are looking for. Something else to consider, the Wheel, once loaded only goes around one full time without stopping; then they start unloading/reloading guests again.

We love it. Was terrified the first time as we just thought it was a normal ferris wheel but we ride it every trip-even the little ones giggle

Definitely doing it this year, will be joining another family/group though as the rest of the McNs will be in a standard one...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter