• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mickeys Backyard BBQ

GoofyDisneyMom

Earning My Ears
Just made ADR for Mickeys Backyard BBQ.
In all the years we have been going to DW we have never gone to this dinner show.
Can anyone tell me what it was like?
How was the food and the entertainment?

Thanks so much!!

Open air covered Pavilion. Lots of dancing characters, kids and country bands. The rope trick guy is awesome. The food is chicken, ribs and beef brisket plus country fixins. Dessert is prepackaged ice cream. All you can drink beer and sangria. It's lots of fun.

Our Ratings of Mickey's BBQ: (*rev 4/1/15*)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: D
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: D
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: B

NOTE1: Tables are long picnic tables of about 40 people per table, so you sit with
others. No reserved seating, so the "mad dash" for seats can be interesting. There is
no "front row", just the end of the picnic tables. Folks start lining up about 1-hr prior
to the 5:30pm seating. Also, the characters are there for dancing and front interaction,
and usually do not go thru tables, so sometimes there is a long line trying to get to the
characters. Also noted the sides are open to the weather. They put up plastic diverters
for winter and simple fans for summer, but it does get VERY hot/humid or cold. This is
not a well heated or air conditioned pavilion. "Dancing" characters interact well with
kids in front of the stage, and younger kids love it.

NOTE2: Mickey BBQ was always about one-half the price of the Hoop Dee Do Review.
With the popularity of DDP, they jumped the price double, including 2-TS coupons.
WITH NO CHANGE IN MENUS; NO CHANGE IN CHARACTERS; NO CHANGES AT ALL. Cost
was barely justified at lower prices, and not worth the current price. At least just
not for ribs-chicken-burgers.

I went once in December 2013 and thought it was great so we went back in August of 2014 and were less than impressed. I think it's good to do once and that's it

:goofy:Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it is going to be a do once and thats it dining experience.
Just trying to do some different activities/meals than the same ones we seem to do everytime we go.
Appreciate all the help! :thanks:

We went last year at the end of Aug and we loved it. If you have ever eaten at Trails End, it's the same food. It's fun and loud and crazy. We had my nephew who was a little old in comparison to other children there but he and we (DH and SIL) had a great time. The entertainment was corny but fun. The band was really good and my nephew loves country music and knew most of the songs they did. The band did covers of lots of modern country songs/artists.
It was hot, noisy but fun and crazy. Some of the best character interaction I've had but it did have to be initiated. We had to get up and dance with the characters. There are normally two on the main dance floor area and then one on either side of the pavilion. While M&M were in the center, Goofy and Chip & Dale were on the sides and then they switched it.
Glad I did it but probably won't do again unless some one else really wants to.

One side benefit for WDW historians-you can see River Country over the fences and the RC Ticket Booth is still there.:)

One side benefit for WDW historians-you can see River Country over the fences and the RC Ticket Booth is still there.:)

1) Of course, when at The Settlement, you could simply walk around the back of the building and see RC.
2) There are some MINOR obstructions to keep out visitors, but it is actually easy to walk around them and go into parts of the RC area.
3) Sure, there is not much left, but Nostalgia still runs deep.
4) And, yes, I can still remember going there to swim and play around.

I'm so glad you posted this, I somehow missed that it had gone up to 2 TS credits.

It has been two credits for years, and I cannot understand why. I saw that someone called it a dinner show and I suppose technically you could refer to it as such, but I am not sure I would. It is really a dance party, IMO.
The BBQ is just s Rusty Scupper described, an open air picnic. You do not have assigned seating, so first come is first served in terms of table selection. You do not choose your seatmates either. Folks all sit at long picnic tables where ever there is room. The food is pretty good, and is plentiful. The character interaction is fun if your kids are comfortable to get up and go to them. they do not circulate, so it is on your family to make the character interaction work for you.

I know a lot of people enjoy this meal, but I think it is helpful to know what you are getting into before you book. We took my shy DGD, and while it was not a disaster, it was not a success either. We also did not get there early enough (I mean you need to be EARLY) to get seats close to the center of the room, so we were on the outer fringes. Nice becasue we had a breeze,, but not so nice for proximity to the character dancing.

The BBQ is the only meal I wish we had not bothered with. I know it is a lot of fun for a lot of people, but for the value, there are some character meals that we really enjoyed more.

1) Of course, when at The Settlement, you could simply walk around the back of the building and see RC.
2) There are some MINOR obstructions to keep out visitors, but it is actually easy to walk around them and go into parts of the RC area.
3) Sure, there is not much left, but Nostalgia still runs deep.
4) And, yes, I can still remember going there to swim and play around.
I tried to do that,but a Guard would not let me past the "Ticket Booth".:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter