• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mickey's Backyard BBQ

nklooz

Mouseketeer
We will be going with our 2 yo and 12 yo. Last week of March. Could anyone provide reviews, thoughts? I saw some reviews that made it not sound so great. My 2 yo really loves to dance and sing so I thought this would be perfect for her. And, big sis will have her back w/the older kids. These are my thoughts, but who knows? Opinions? Thanks!

Id like to know too. I was thinking about how much fun this sounds. One thing I have learned while on these boards is everyone will have an opinion about the food/experience-good or bad. I for one love places like CM and CP, 1900 and 50's PT. Other ppl do not. I sayno matter what is said, still go and experience it for yourself and then decide if its something you would do again or not.

We have done the BBQ twice. We liked it. It is traditional bbq food: burgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, watermelon, etc. There are ice cream bars and popsicles for dessert and beer and wine for the adults. The food is pretty good. The show is very entertaining. The kids can get up and dance with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip and Dale. The kids always seem to have a good time. I haven't seen many good reviews, but we always enjoy it. We are skipping it on our next trip. We are going to try HDDR this time, but I would definitely do the BBQ again.

That is 2 meal credits we will never get back!

Out of all the places we have ever dined in Disney this is the one place I would say we didn't like at all. It was crowded, the food was basic BBQ food (burgers, dogs, ice cream). The character interaction was not good as they did not go to the tables but were on the dance floor with the HUGE herd of kids so it was stressful just trying to keep our eyes on the kids while they were on the dance floor. They also ran out of beer early which did not make the guys in our group happy. Not that they are big drinkers but they weren't even done eating the kegs were empty and they said they would not be refilling them...to me for the money this one costs I thought that was just wrong.

Maybe your kids will love it but I'd much rather spend my $$'s at someplace where they actually get a little bit of one on on time with the characters like Crystal Palace, Garden Grill etc and be able to relax and enjoy our meals too. JMHO :upsidedow

I loved it and have done it twice! Plenty of food, singing, dancing and characters. If your kid likes to dance and sing and go a little nuts, this is the place for her! :woohoo:

Can someone tell me if the characters pose for photos during Mickey's Backyard BBQ? I know that they don't sign autographs here, but do they at least pose for pictures? This would be a lot of $$ to spend on a character meal to not at least get a decent photo with the characters out of it :lmao:

We've been twice & all of us loved it!!! Totally bummed on last trip as we waited too late to try to book & couldn't get it. We went in Sept & Nov. Didn't find it too crowded either time. The kids loved being able to get up and move around. And who can resist all you can eat Mickey Bars???

Can someone tell me if the characters pose for photos during Mickey's Backyard BBQ? I know that they don't sign autographs here, but do they at least pose for pictures? This would be a lot of $$ to spend on a character meal to not at least get a decent photo with the characters out of it :lmao:

When you first get there before you get to the pavillion you get an autograph & can take a picture with a character. First time we went it was Goofy & last time it was Chip & Dale. After the party starts tho the characters don't sign autographs, just mingle & dance with the kids on the dance floor. You can take pictures but they are not actual poses. I have some good pics of my grands & the characters on the dance floor. Before it gets started you can sign a book with your b'day, anniversary etc & they will announce it.

When you first get there before you get to the pavillion you get an autograph & can take a picture with a character. First time we went it was Goofy & last time it was Chip & Dale. After the party starts tho the characters don't sign autographs, just mingle & dance with the kids on the dance floor. You can take pictures but they are not actual poses. I have some good pics of my grands & the characters on the dance floor. Before it gets started you can sign a book with your b'day, anniversary etc & they will announce it.

This sounds great! Thanks :thumbsup2

Characters will pose, take pictures AND sign autographs. They are very interactive and excellent!

We just did Mickey's BBQ on our trip a few weeks ago and the kids LOVED it. The food was just okay...but the 'included' beer & wine helped. The kids had no complaints about the food. Prior to the BBQ starting the kids were able to get pics with Goofy & Chip & Dale. Once the show started they danced with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip, & Dale. There was singing and a guy who does lasso tricks. Overall it was a very fun night.

I will second the above poster though that said at times it was a bit stressful to keep an eye on your small children. The kids (and parents trying to watch their kids) flock onto the dance floor and it's very easy to lose sight of your child in the crowd. My boys are 8 & 5 so I didn't have to worry about them too much, but I can totally see it being difficult if you have smaller kids. Otherwise, I'd definitely do it again.

We recently got back from taking our 2 yo daughter there. SHE LOVED IT!!!
Now that being said let me make it even better. She hated when characters came up to her anywhere, however when it came time to dance, she was able to dance with the other kids without the characters getting to close, but we still have some good pix with some characters in them from the right angles.
We loved the food. Don't go in thinking you are getting a five star meal. It is a BBQ so it had the typical BBQ foods. Burgers, Hot dogs, Ribs, Chicken, watermelon, corn on the cob. Oh and all you can eat of it too! They had plenty of desserts too.
We showed up an hour and a half early (probably overkill, lol). we were first in line to get in which was neat because they made us family of the night so we got to ring the triangle to let people in!
I also noticed they were seating people, so there is no more running to get the perfect spot, your order in line determined where you sat.
As far as character pictures and autographs, like a previous poster said, they came out before hand and had a photo op. There was also a time when the lasso guy was doing his thing that the characters had a line for pics and autographs. While they are dancing they don't do poses or autographs, but you get more natural pictures that way in my opinion.
Overall, this was our 2yo's favorite meal of the week. We paid out of pocket for it even though we were on the dining plan and I don't regret it one bit.
I say enjoy!

Thanks for all of the info everybody! I think we're going to do it, based on the feedback I got. I don't expect anything but BBQ food and I just think the dancing with the characters will be so fun for DD2 and DD12 will have a great time out there w/her! :banana:

When you say "when you first get there", what does that mean? If it is at 6:30, what time should we try to arrive? Do you wait in a line to get in and then you enter then they pose for pics and sign autographs then you get seated and eat then dancing?

We recently got back from taking our 2 yo daughter there. SHE LOVED IT!!!
Now that being said let me make it even better. She hated when characters came up to her anywhere, however when it came time to dance, she was able to dance with the other kids without the characters getting to close, but we still have some good pix with some characters in them from the right angles.
We loved the food. Don't go in thinking you are getting a five star meal. It is a BBQ so it had the typical BBQ foods. Burgers, Hot dogs, Ribs, Chicken, watermelon, corn on the cob. Oh and all you can eat of it too! They had plenty of desserts too.
We showed up an hour and a half early (probably overkill, lol). we were first in line to get in which was neat because they made us family of the night so we got to ring the triangle to let people in!
I also noticed they were seating people, so there is no more running to get the perfect spot, your order in line determined where you sat.
As far as character pictures and autographs, like a previous poster said, they came out before hand and had a photo op. There was also a time when the lasso guy was doing his thing that the characters had a line for pics and autographs. While they are dancing they don't do poses or autographs, but you get more natural pictures that way in my opinion.
Overall, this was our 2yo's favorite meal of the week. We paid out of pocket for it even though we were on the dining plan and I don't regret it one bit.
I say enjoy!

Would I be able to send my husband to get in line early and then we come and meet him so 2 yo doesn't get restless?

Thanks for all of the info everybody! I think we're going to do it, based on the feedback I got. I don't expect anything but BBQ food Don't forget the all you can eat Mickey Bars!!)and I just think the dancing with the characters will be so fun for DD2 and DD12 will have a great time out there w/her! :banana:

When you say "when you first get there", what does that mean? If it is at 6:30, what time should we try to arrive? Do you wait in a line to get in and then you enter then they pose for pics and sign autographs then you get seated and eat then dancing?

You should pick up your tickets ahead of time at your resort then you can get to Fort Wilderness early & walk over to the BYBBQ area. There you just wait til a certain time where your tickets are checked and then you are allowed farther in and can line up for pics with whichever character they have that night. We usually take the picture & use the facilities(they are not too close to the pavillion so we don't want to walk over there once the fun begins) before heading for the line. There are a few tables in the waiting area that are set up for playing checkers & a little play area for the kids so your dh could wait in the line while the kids play.

Would I be able to send my husband to get in line early and then we come and meet him so 2 yo doesn't get restless?

Answered in quote section.

Thought I would post a few pics of our last BBQ:

Lucky enough to get a ride with Tom(the horse):

DisneySept10089.jpg

Almost there:

DisneySept10091.jpg

Pictures with Chip & Dale:

DisneySept10094.jpg

Play area while waiting:

DisneySept10096.jpg

A few tables were set up for playing checkers. Cups of punch & lemonade were brought out:

DisneySept10097.jpg

Seating area:

DisneySept10099.jpg

Answered in quote section.

How early should we arrive? Leave Contemporary at 5:15 on boat to get tehre by 5:45 or earlier?

Thought I would post a few pics of our last BBQ:

Lucky enough to get a ride with Tom(the horse):

DisneySept10089.jpg

Almost there:

DisneySept10091.jpg

Pictures with Chip & Dale:

DisneySept10094.jpg

Play area while waiting:

DisneySept10096.jpg

A few tables were set up for playing checkers. Cups of punch & lemonade were brought out:

DisneySept10097.jpg

Seating area:

DisneySept10099.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing!!!! :goodvibes I love the pics. Are Chip and Dale always there?

We have been three times now. The most recent, October 2011, there actually wasn't a character outside before the show. That could have been an anomaly. I think it is fun, but my kids think it is fantastic. They both listed it has their #1 place to eat in Disney. I also wanted to mention the country music band, which I really enjoy. I also like the corny jokes from the hosts.

Picture of the group during show time:
Mickey_BBQ.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter