Mickey Pants on the Hub Grass!: A June 2015 Dining Report - Complete!

Okay all, we are now back to our regularly scheduled programming. Our travels next take us to the oft-dreaded Downtown Disney for a lively dinner. We, like many others, had not been to Downtown Disney in some time. There has just been so much construction in that area it hasn’t been worth the nightmare of parking, etc. However, we had heard one of the garages was open, making getting in and out easier. The last time we ate at Raglan Road it was very good, and my dad still talks about the Dalkey Duo, so we decided to give it a whirl and made an ADR for 7pm.

We left for Downtown Disney between 4:30 and 5:00 to ensure we had plenty of time to make it for dinner. Plus, it would give us some time to look around at all the new additions. I am happy to report that the garage worked out very well and we were parked and in the shopping area less than 20 minutes after we left the Polynesian.

Since it was so quick getting there, we were left with plenty of time to explore the area.

Our first stop was Splitsville, which we had never been to before. Kathy and Jeff actually met through bowling while in college (nope, we’re not Midwestern at all...). We didn’t actually bowl, but we might sometime in the future, if we could ever fit it into the schedule of endless activities. It looks like fun!
As we continued making our way towards Raglan Road, we took the opportunity to slip into shops and check out the progress towards Disney Springs. I think this area is going to be awesome once it’s done. The theming and architecture of the newly imagined shops are right up my alley. One place high on my bucket list to visit is the Boathouse. This restaurant has “Mary” written all over it.

We got to see one of the amphicars take off while we were there. They look pretty cool, but there is no way I’m paying those outrageous prices for a boat ride. I’ll just watch.

Soon enough, it was time to check-in! Raglan Road is pretty much always busy, so we were given a pager and waited about 20 minutes for our table. The only unfortunate thing about this meal was that our table was in the corner to the left of the stage. We could see the middle stage where they sometimes do solos and such, but not the actual stage. It wasn’t a big deal as we weren’t there for the dancing, but it always sucks to get that corner table. Someone has to get it, though, right?

Our waitress came by to take our drink orders and mentioned they were running a bit slow that night. I appreciated her honesty.

Kathy and Jeff ordered ciders.

Bob got what I think was the Irish Amber. He thought this was a great one. It was from their proprietary draught rotation.

I went with a flight. I don’t remember what 4 I got, but I enjoyed each one, once it finally arrived. The 3 pints came out quickly, but the flight ended up taking until after the appetizers were even delivered to come out. The bar must have been backed up! I would just go with a pint next time.

For our appetizer we got 2 orders of the Dalky Duo. these are deep fried sausages with a dipping sauce. They are kind of heavy, but man are they good! There is a light batter and the sausages have a nice snap and flavor, just like they should. The dipping sauce adds that extra zing that makes them irresistible.

We had to ask for the Irish Soda Bread with Guiness reduction. Even though I don't need extra bread in my life, I wanted some of this stuff.

Kathy went with the shepherds pie for her entree. She ordered this last time and is a big fan of shepherds pie in general, so she enjoyed this immensely. It doesn’t look like much, but it’s filling and has good flavors.

Jeff chose the pie of the day: in this case it was a chicken pot pie. The crust looks perfectly buttery and flaky on this baby. He said it was super hot, but once it cooled down it was great.

My dad and I both chose the ham. It was a huge portion! We each got 3 slices of ham, along with the bacon. The ham is more like a pork loin than what we would traditionally think of as ham steak. Seeing as just one piece of ham was about my normal serving, I did not finish it, but I loved what I was able to eat. I thought the raisin cider jus was an interesting (in a good way!) and flavorful accompaniment. That could also be because I am generally a sucker for all things either au jus or side sauce… I think my dad finished his; he also enjoyed it.
Raglan Road actually has quite the dessert list. One of my favorite pastimes is watching whole tables each order their own bread pudding and then realize that just one would have been more than enough. I love their bread pudding, but we did not get dessert here this time around. We had something else in mind.

Our meal here was very good and I would not hesitate to continue recommending it to others despite the service being slow that night.

We had to walk off some of our dinner before we could get dessert. After checking out the co-op and a few other shops, we found ourselves at a brand new spot to end the evening.

Vivoli il Gelato is an Italian gelato shop out of Florence, Italy. I had heard of this well-known gelato shop and was very excited when Disney Food Blog revealed it would be opening a 2nd American location in Disney Springs. We did not go to the real one when we were actually in Florence last year, so I was pretty excited to walk by and find it open!

Vivoli wasn’t too busy when we walked by before dinner, but it was slammed on our way out! We waited in line and saw quite a few cast members and other Disney enthusiasts who had also heard the good news. They have about 16 different flavors to choose from. These are traditional flavors found at gelato shops all over Italy.

There is also display case with panini’s and other sweet treats if you so choose. We did not.

Ordering is similar to the ice cream shop in France. You place your basic order at the register (small cup, medium cone, etc.) and then actually choose your flavors down at the the gelato case where they will scoop it for you.

Each of us went with a small cup with 2 flavors. I picked my favorite gelato combo - Straciatella and pistachio. Somehow I ended up with 3 spoons, but I was definitely not sharing! The gelato was creamy and flavorful, just like it’s supposed to be. Other flavors sampled were the salted caramel (a favorite from the caramel brigade), strawberry, and coffee. All got high praise. I would recommend trying Vivoli out if you’re in the area and craving some gelato.

That’s all for now. We had to get some rest in anticipation of a big day of wedding planning!!

Last edited:
It is a bummer that the service wasn't quite where it should have been at Raglan Road; the food looks fantastic though! RR is one of our favorites.

The gelato looks delicious. Between Ghirardelli, Goofy's and the new gelato shop, I think I am going to be very conflicted about desserts in DTD on my next trip.

Great report! I am loving all of your Poly pictures. I am dying to stay there next year and can hopefully make it happen now that they have DVC. You really could just stay there and never really need to even visit a park.

The new gelato place looks fantastic! Now I have a new foodie to look forward to!

OK, caught up! We had dinner at Raglan Road in March and I'm so regretting not getting the Dalky Duo! It was between that and a potato soup; got the soup which was really good, but I know I'd love the Dalky Duo. We aren't eating at RR on our Nov. trip but I may ask DH if he wants to go back on our adults only trip in January which we just booked.......and we're doing a split stay between AKL and the Poly :cheer2:It'll be our first time at both so I'm totally loving all your Poly pics :goodvibes

I knew Vivoli opened up in DTD but yours are the first pictures and review I've seen/read; that will definitely be a stop in Nov. :thumbsup2 And I'll be getting gelato and some cookies :rolleyes1

It is a bummer that the service wasn't quite where it should have been at Raglan Road; the food looks fantastic though! RR is one of our favorites.

The gelato looks delicious. Between Ghirardelli, Goofy's and the new gelato shop, I think I am going to be very conflicted about desserts in DTD on my next trip.

The choices are becoming endless! I'm not a huge sweets person, so I really have to pick and choose when I'm at Disney. There seem to be so many sweet snacks, it's almost overwhelming...almost! Since they took away peanuts/peanut butter at Ghiradelli it's basically off my list, but it sure is good. I'm chalking RR up to a fluke this time around!

OH that gelato!

It's awesome! And the staff were super nice and friendly.

Great report! I am loving all of your Poly pictures. I am dying to stay there next year and can hopefully make it happen now that they have DVC. You really could just stay there and never really need to even visit a park.

The new gelato place looks fantastic! Now I have a new foodie to look forward to!

You do! I highly recommend the gelato...and the Poly!

I'm so excited to have some of that gelato during our next trip!

It's awesome. Another great place to choose from!

Loving all the pictures!! Can't wait to go!!

Thank you! The anticipation for a trip is so hard, and yet, so fun!

Welcome back, readers! We’ve officially made it to Wedding Planning Day! Knowing we would have a full day of decision-making ahead, we made sure to start the day off right.

It’s breakfast time!

Our destination for breakfast was, of course, Captain Cook’s. For the most part, the resorts have great options for CS (except for the Yacht/Beach and Boardwalk, which I find weird, but whatever), and Captain Cook’s is no exception.

This was the first time we had been here since they refurbished the place. For the most part, it looks and feels exactly the same. I do like the larger seating area and the new-ish artwork is fun.

Kathy and Jeff decided to go with pastries. Once again, they were Disney pastries.

I prefer my breakfast to include more protein. I decided to go with the breakfast burrito. It included egg (obviously, look at all that egg!), cheese, and bacon. I would recommend this for breakfast in a heartbeat. It’s not phenomenal, but it’s got good flavor and you get a side of salsa, which is always a good thing. Definitely hits the spot and readies you for your adventures ahead.

Bob chose the breakfast sandwich. Another good more savory choice, especially if you like croissant sandwiches. This one is also egg, cheese, and bacon. The lack of sausage in choices at Disney baffles me. Do they not know that sausage is one of the main food groups in the Midwestern diet??

From Captain Cook's, we took the brick pathway to our next destination...Franck's Studio!

Is it really called Franck's studio? Like from Father of the Bride? If so, that's a hoot. And I assume, intentional?

Agreed on CS at Beach Club. We stayed there two years ago and they've got nothing. Basically just to go stuff in refrigerated cases.

Looking forward to trying the gelato at the new place. Pistachio is a fav of mine too.

I agree with you regarding the cupcakes at BOG. They were "meh" in my opinion. And I love cupcakes. We had one a couple of days before at Roaring Fork, cs at WL, and it was delicious! Strawberry with lemon curd on the inside. OH MY!! Raglan Road was simply amazing when we were there. I had booked our ADR on my birthday. I wanted a specific dish. One that I had seen a picture of on another review. It was the Gnocchi Sea Gnocchi Do. I would check every so often to make sure it was there. About 6 weeks before we left, they took it off their menu. I was so bummed. I emailed them just to verify that it was really gone. A girl can dream. Well it was. However, she took down my reservation number and date. We were seated right next to the stage and the chef made it specially for me that night. Best dinner of our trip hands down!! They went above and beyond for us.

I love your reviews and am so happy to be along for the ride. In the planning stages of our next trip.

Looks the pictures all around Captain Cooks. Plan on trying it next trip for the tonga toast, but good to know they have some decent savory options too. Was the coffee press served there too????

Can't wait to read more!

Welcome! There are some fun posts to come!

Is it really called Franck's studio? Like from Father of the Bride? If so, that's a hoot. And I assume, intentional?

Agreed on CS at Beach Club. We stayed there two years ago and they've got nothing. Basically just to go stuff in refrigerated cases.

Looking forward to trying the gelato at the new place. Pistachio is a fav of mine too.

Haha! It really is called Franck's! I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but we most definitely made a joke or two about the connection. We maaay have also sang the song...

I agree with you regarding the cupcakes at BOG. They were "meh" in my opinion. And I love cupcakes. We had one a couple of days before at Roaring Fork, cs at WL, and it was delicious! Strawberry with lemon curd on the inside. OH MY!! Raglan Road was simply amazing when we were there. I had booked our ADR on my birthday. I wanted a specific dish. One that I had seen a picture of on another review. It was the Gnocchi Sea Gnocchi Do. I would check every so often to make sure it was there. About 6 weeks before we left, they took it off their menu. I was so bummed. I emailed them just to verify that it was really gone. A girl can dream. Well it was. However, she took down my reservation number and date. We were seated right next to the stage and the chef made it specially for me that night. Best dinner of our trip hands down!! They went above and beyond for us.

I love your reviews and am so happy to be along for the ride. In the planning stages of our next trip.

Thanks for reading along! That Raglan Road experience sounds great! How fun about an upcoming trip! The planning stages are one of my favorite parts! I'm sure you'll have a great trip!

Looks the pictures all around Captain Cooks. Plan on trying it next trip for the tonga toast, but good to know they have some decent savory options too. Was the coffee press served there too????

Haha, it was not. We stopped upstairs before getting our food :thumbsup2

When we left off, we had just arrived at Franck’s Studio. Yep, it’s really called Franck’s! Not sure if that's intentional from Father of the Bride or not. Disney Fairytale Weddings actual offices are in celebration. Many people are sad to learn the planners don't actually have offices in Franck's, but rather, work out of Celebration and come over as needed and share the space. Most, if not all, planning session do take place here.

I made the happy couple take a few pictures before entering.

Once inside, the team had already set-up our room and told us to take a seat. This was our first time actually meeting the wedding planner, Carol, in person. Everyone had told us she was awesome...and they were 100% right! We just love Carol. Like any good wedding planner, she is upbeat and firm about what will happen. She’s one of those people who is able to manipulate everyone to do what she wants/needs without you even realizing it until hours later. Not gonna lie, I’m impressed with people like that, when they put it to good use!

The wedding planning session is broken up into 2 parts. Part 1 was going through the whole day and making all of the decisions regarding decor, ambiance, flowers, transportation, etc. If anyone is familiar with Disney Imagineering, you might know that the teams often start with a “blue sky” session when they are in the beginning stages of something new. I like to think of part 1 as a “blue sky” session because the planners encourage you to put down everything you think you might want or need for the day. Nearly everything can be changed up to 30 days prior, and some things need as few as 5 days, so their thought process is that it’s easier to take it off then add it later. I tend to agree here. They are also good about working around your budget and offering suggestions if something you want might be out of your price range.

About halfway into the session, we got to do the cake tasting! In the second pic you can see Kathy's fork at the ready to dig in, haha!

Each group is permitted 4 types of cake to taste along with 4 fillings. You also get a piece of vanilla cake and a tub of buttercream icing. The cakes we tried were: Lemon, Yellow, Marble, and Chocolate. Our fillings were: Strawberry, Peanut Butter, Boston Creme, Amaretto Crunch, and inside the white cake was plain Amaretto. We were left to our own devices while tasting the cakes and making some decisions. Although we tried 4 cakes, we had the choice of any type to order.

Kathy and Jeff decided on a Mad Hatter Style cake with 3 tiers and added a sheet cake to ensure we had enough to go around. That meant we could actually choose 4 different types of cake and filling. Kathy and Jeff chose: Marble w/ Amaretto filling, Red Velvet w/ cream cheese, Yellow w/ peanut butter cup, and Almond w/ Amaretto for their 4 options. One of them will be their top tier, which Disney wraps up and saves for the 1st anniversary.

After cake tasting, Disney Floral came in to discuss that piece of the wedding. By this time, Carol and the flower lady were getting to know us pretty well and we were having a grand ‘ole time. It’s not often until we start talking Disney that we are reminded of just how big of Disney theme park fans we really are. Carol was constantly impressed (and perhaps a big unnerved) by how much we knew or had done with Disney. We also have 90-95% of our guests booked already, which apparently is extremely rare. However, our family is pretty big and my dad can be quite intimidating, so we really tried to get people to commit early.

We finished our planning session about noon and had a couple hours to kill before part 2 was to start. Although we knew there was a lot of food to come, we decided to stop by Captain Cook’s for a couple of shared snacks before the food tasting. I also snapped a picture of this sign. Maui Tiki with a hard hat is one of the cutest things of all time. Seriously, Disney. Cuteness overload on an informational sign?!

We all shared a pepperoni flatbread. It was your typical flatbread, but I much prefer these to the doughy pizzas.

And some Hawaiian pulled pork nachos. I love the pulled pork nachos. They are a mix of homemade chips topped with a Kalua style pulled pork, pineapple, red onion, tomatoes, and of course cheese. Between the 4 of us, this was a good snack.

After we spent some time relaxing, we headed over to the Boardwalk where we were to meet our chef for the food tasting! This is what we’ve been waiting for! I'm actually going to split this up because the next post is picture heavy. But, exciting for you, I'm going to post it now. No waiting!!

Ah, we have arrived at the post you've all been waiting to read. Wedding food tasting!!

Since Kathy's reception is at the Boardwalk, our tasting took place in the Boardwalk convention center. Look, it’s a sign just for us!

They had a beverage cart all set up and ready for us. Sadly, no wine or beer.

This was the empty buffet, soon to be filled with lots of yummy foods.

Our very own table. They put out a variety of napkin displays, but I believe in our case we can only choose one type. Only the starched white napkins have the ability to be configured multiple ways. One of the most-requested right now is the rose from BOG, though it’s not a standard choice. My favorite is the one pictured.

Soon enough, our chef, Redgie, came out and introduced himself. Kathy and Jeff had filled out a menu and sent it along. Chef Redgie used this as a guide and prepared a variety of offerings for us to sample. He also told us he added a few things to round out the meals.

Time to fill up!

Up first was an appetizer selection: mini cuban sandwiches. These will be served during the cocktail hour prior to the reception. These we liked. Spoiler alert: we liked it all.

Next we have a macaroni and cheese. It was cheesy and delicious. The mac n’ cheese is a fan favorite for sure. I'm messy and/or clumsy with serving tongs and accidentally threw a green bean onto the mac n cheese. Whoops!

In this bowl is roast pork loin with a mango chutney, green beans, and yellow rice. It’s a bit of a caribbean theme. The pork was juicy and we thought the chutney paired well. The rice was an add-on for the tasting, we won’t actually be having that one during the reception.

The next bowl contained Le Cellier’s famed cream cheese mashed potatoes, carrots, and a stuffed chicken. The chicken was stuffed with spinach and cheese. Holy moly was that chicken amazing. It had a ton of flavor and was kept super moist by the spinach and cheese filling. The cream cheese mashed potatoes were delightful as always, though Chef here made them with the skins on for some added texture. At Le Cell they were served more whipped and sans skins.

Also included was a beef loin with a thick sauce. This one is pretty self-explanatory, but it was yummy and cooked perfectly. I believe they said there will be a way to make the meat more done for people who want that during the reception. Not that we’d allow it from our guests...

For our dessert taste, we had the almond crusted cheesecake from Narcoossie’s. This one will actually be featured at the dessert party welcome/rehearsal the night before. Om nom nom! I’m not a huge fan of cheesecake, or dessert in general, but this baby is awesome. Even if i can only eat 4 bites and then call it a day.

Throughout, Chef Redgie kept telling us to tell him what we did/didn’t like and what we would change. Apparently we’re easy to please because we thought it was all fantastic, and told him so.

Overall, we loved the reception food tasting and Chef Redgie. It was kind of sad when it was over because that meant the planning was done and all that was left was the bill, haha! The nice thing about Disney is that they can make pretty much anything you want. They’ll even make a family recipe if you give it to them. Some of the things we requested for the reception, but not featured here are: the beef skewers with chimichurri from F&W, the Banoffee Tart from Scotland F&W 2013, HBD Cobb Salad, and I feel like I’m forgetting one. They are very accommodating, the food is spectacular, and we can’t wait to celebrate in October!

I love how they give you the options for cake and icing. So much easier to mix and match yourself vs them making a variety of little cakes with all the flavour combinations.

I'm really loving reading all about the wedding planning, it sounds like so much fun :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter