Mickey, Memories, and Magic Bands

ohboyx3

DIS Veteran

Here we go….. Welcome to my first ever PRE trip report! This trip has gone back and forth and back forth as to when we are going and where we are staying and I’m sure this isn’t the last of the changes! I’m sure no one here can feel my pain? Before I go any further I need to introduce the cast!

First up is Jonas. He shares the same name as his Dad and up until recently was referred to as “little” Jonas. His Daddy was “Big” Jonas… except now little Jonas isn’t quite so little anymore. He is almost as big as his dad. One of my friends started referring to them as “Big” Jonas and “Old” Jonas. LOL Yeah… my husband isn’t too fond of that! Anyways… He is 14, and soon to be a freshman in <gasp> highschool! He is on the wrestling team and baseball team and working on his Eagle Scout. He is a really good teenager. I keep waiting for him to not want to hang out with us, but so far we he still likes us. Isn’t that amazing???

Next is Jeremiah. He is 11 (will be 12 when we go on this trip) and getting ready to start <gasp> middle school. He plays football, baseball, and wants to follow in the footsteps of his brother and wrestle. Eek! I’m nervous about him starting middle school, but I know he will be fine. He just seems so young and innocent!!!! He is also a boy scout and is almost a second class. Oh… he also sings. Here is a short video of him during our school’s “TCAP idol” (its just a way to get the kids excited about standardized testing) in case anyone wants to check it out. He’s really good! Of course… I am biased.

http://youtu.be/3Y0IwE5Ohug

Next is Cole. He is about to turn 9. Poor kid didn’t have a name for three days… The whole pregnancy he was going to be Zeke. Then when he was born it just didn’t fit him. He was going to be Ezekial Cole. Lucky for him we finally settled upon Cole Phoenix. He is going into the fourth grade. Yes… you read that right. I will have three kids in three different schools. Yay me! He plays baseball and is a cub scout. He is a Bear. He took his first Disney trip at 18 months and I think that has made him the most Disney addicted! Except for me of course!

The one who gave the final go ahead this trip is DH. His name is Jonas too which I’m sure you already gathered. I have brainwashed him enough to wear he is almost as Disney crazed as I am… almost. I got a little choked up one day when I overheard him singing the “Yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me song.” Sigh… I have done my job. One day out of the blue he said, “We need to go back to Disney!” WOoooooo Hoooooooo! You don’t have to tell me twice! There was a lot surrounding this trip and the desire to go back which I’ll get into later. Oh yeah… DH owns his own construction company and does mainly commercial work. He works hard and is really deserving of a nice trip, so I hope this all works out. He is also an avid golfer and plans to take a couple afternoons or mornings to try a couple of the golf courses. Hey…. Whatever works!!!!
Then there is me…. I’m a stay at home mom and part time substitute teacher. I’m also in school to be a real teacher. I am taking my dear, sweet molasses time getting my degree…. Only taking two or three classes at a time. I will get there one day. Most of my free time is spent watching the three boys play their sports. I wouldn’t have it any other way! When I do have a day to myself you’ll find me catching up on The Bachelorette, reading a good book, or Disney Dreaming of course! Here is my favorite picture of us :)

So there you have it! If you think we are people you can relate to than I hope you continue on this journey with us as we chat about how this trip came about, but first a little walk down memory lane from some of our past trips….

Our first trip was waaaaaayyyy back in January of 2006. That was in the good ole days when Jonas was in the first grade and we felt like we could pull him out without doing any permanent damage to his education. It was also back when Jonas and Jeremiah were still considered kids and Cole was free and slept in a pack in play in the room! We went all out that trip (it was our first vacation ever) and stayed at the resort of my dreams AKL! We had the dining plan (back when the tip and an appetizer were included ) and spent a whopping $3,000.00! That was a huge amount for us back then (well it still is… lol) I would hate to see what that trip would cost us now. Sadly… being a family of five Wilderness Lodge and AKL are just completely out of the question. We had a fantastic time and my reservations about taking an 18 month old to Disney were for naught. I honestly don’t think it could have gone any better and we were completely hooked. Vowing to come back whenever we could afford to do so. Here are some pics from that first trip!

Fast Forward to 2008 and it was time for another trip. We wanted to squeeze one more trip in while Jonas was still considered a “kid.” Cole was over three by this point, so we had to get a room that could accommodate the five of us. Now with two in school it was a little more tricky with pulling them out. We still went in January, but went the week after New Years while they were still on Winter break. I do think they missed a few days… but I don’t think it was a very big deal. This was a surprise trip. They had no idea we were going back. We kept talking about how we wanted to, but just weren’t able to. Here’s the video in case you’re interested.  I sent them on a little scavenger hunt throughout the house. It was exactly the reaction I wanted. Lol.

We stayed at a Moderate that trip. POR and it was awesome, though I was definitely spoiled by the deluxe our first trip. This was during the “Year of a Million Dreams” promotion and though we didn’t get a castle stay, dream fast passes, etc….. we DID get picked as the Family of the Day and got to open up the Magic Kingdom. It was stinking A-MAzing!!!!! I won’t forget it as long as I live….. We got to ride through an empty park on a fire engine and catch the train in toontown (sad its gone) We met all sorts of carachters and just made an incredible memory! We had so much fun we ended up extending our stay and adding a day on to our park hoppers. Lol. We really didn’t want to leave!!! Here are some pics from that trip. Oh the memories!

Our next trip was in May of 2011. We decided that we wanted to try a different time of year other than January and it was getting to the point that we couldn’t very well pull kids out of school anymore.  We wanted to take a trip before Jeremiah was an adult. LOL. So this was our chance. This was another surprise trip! Well…. Little Jonas was in on it and loved helping with the surprise. We pulled the kids out two days before they were going to get dismissed for summer. Their teachers were all in on it as well. I think they were just as excited! We told them that Daddy had the day off and we were going to lunch and then we would take them back to school. We know the chef at the little diner and he hooked us up…. Worked like a charm. Here’s the video! So we successfully surprised all three of our kids with a Disney trip at some point. Cole was just too young the last time to really get it, so this was perfect. I still tear up when I watch his reaction.

 For this trip we stayed in a Value. Lol. So as our family grew up we went from a deluxe, a moderate, to a value. Lol. We got a family suite at ASMu. It was nice…. And I enjoyed the space, but I don’t think we will ever do a value again. You know what we missed most? Silly… but a HOT TUB! My husband likes to get in the hot tub and relax after a long day in the parks. He has back problems due to the construction work he does and it really helps him to get in the hot tub. SO…… that is the deciding factor from now on. Must have hot tub! … and a waterslide… per the kids. We have spoiled them  All in all it was another fabulous trip. We stayed 9 days and it was perfect though a lot more hot and a lot more crowded than January. We toured with a less commando style that time around and tried some things we hadn’t in the past. One of them being the Main Street barber shop. This is what happees when you stay behind to pay your lunch bill and your husband takes your son to get a haircut:

And here are some of my favorite pics from that trip….

Are you still with me? Or are you getting bored? Finally we come to our last trip. It was taken this past October over our fall break. We decided that we wanted to try something different…. We went on a Disney cruise to the Bahamas and followed it up with one night offsite and a trip to MNSSHP. Although I’m glad we did it… and we have some amazing memories… and we got some awesome photos… and the Disney Dream is absolutely BEAUTIFUL…….. <gasp> it just wasn’t our thing… <shudder> We REALLLY missed the parks. First off the cruise seemed so short. For what we paid we could have stayed 10 days in Disney! I don’t want to discourage anyone from trying it, but for our family we just love the parks, the resort, just everything about Disney World. Although… if you ask the teenager he would give his right arm to go on another cruise. Whatever they do in the teen club they do it right. He had an absolutely epic time and is begging to go back. Anyhow….. here are some pics from our (literally) once in a life time cruise.

So…. All that brings me to the fact that we are itching to go back to the parks. We want to stat onsite again and absorb every ounce of Disney magic that we missed out on last year! So who’s with me? Let’s start planning!

Up Next: The When and where of the next trip!

and I'm sorry for the pics being so big.... I will fix that in my next post.

Thanks to those who have joined in so far! As I said in the last post after our cruise we all felt like we missed out on our park time. It’s not even the theme parks as much as just that we genuinely love staying onsite and feeling all the Disney magic. My husband was the first to suggest another trip was in order. Usually we wait two or three years between trips, but he was insisting on going back this year. I started looking and we started talking about where we wanted to stay and when we wanted to go. We have a fall break every October. This time it’s towards the end of October, so we decided we would go then. I was fine with staying at POR again, but DH wanted to try something else and so we started looking at the cabins at FW. I was excited at the prospect and thought we would do the Hoop Dee Doo review one night and take advantage of the fun things they have to do there. The quietness of the resort sounded lovely. THEN the free dining promotion came out and I seriously, seriously contemplated pulling the kids out for a week mid September. The thought of low crowds was appealing, PLUS it would save us over 1,000.00! However… Jonas will be a freshman this year and after talking with a few high school teachers, I just don’t want to do that to him. He’s a bright kid and I don’t think it would hinder him in anyway really, but I don’t want him to be at any type of a disadvantage, so…. It looks like our only option is to go during the Fall break. I was set on the cabins, but then I started comparing deluxe resorts and realized that it was only going to be 500.00 more for us to stay at the Beach Club. It was going to cost almost that much to rent a golf cart at FW and so it just seemed like a no brainer to go ahead and switch to BC. My kids have been dying to swim in that pool and it has been so long since we have stayed in a deluxe. I think it’s time! I will also say that the more I looked at FW and saw how sprawling it was, I was getting cold feet. However….. sometimes I still wonder if I made the right choice. I know.. I know…. We are talking two TOTALLY different resorts. It’s just that with three boys I think both would be good fits for different reasons. I hope I’m not disappointed!

Up next: The tentative schedule and where are we eating?

Our schedule which I’m sure will only change about 1000 times!!!!!

I definitely want to take a more laid back/relaxed approach to this trip. We have been enough times that if we don’t get to something this trip it’ll be okay… and I also want to try a few things this trip that we haven’t done before. I’d really mike to try one of the mini golf places and my husband, of course, wants to go golfing a couple of times on the major courses. Here is what I have so far:

10/17- Check kids out of school a little early, leave from there and eat lunch on the road. We will stay offsite this night. Depending on what time we end up leaving, traffic, etc. Possibly eat dinner in DTD (will pay OOP for this meal)or go mini golfing.

10/18- Get up early and check in to BC. My initial thought it my husband could possibly golf in the morning after we check in. I know the boys will be dying to try the pool, so as long as the weather is cooperating (keep in mind that they swam every day during the January trips) we will spend most of the day at the pool, exploring the resort, a possible lunch at Beaches and Cream, unpacking and settling in. Then we will venture over to Epcot as soon as we are ready. Maybe do a few Phineas and Ferb adventures, etc. and have dinner at Via Napoli at 7:45. Illuminations is at 10 pm this night, so hopefully we will finish in plenty of time to watch it. I will say that I’m a little nervous about it being F&W and being there on a Friday night. I have heard horror stories about people having too much to drink and puking all over, etc…. Hopefully it will work out for us.

10/19- Hollywood Studios We have an early dinner scheduled for 4:00 at Sci Fi diner. I actually prefer Primetime 50’s and usually we at both, but this is the boys favorite restaurant and a trip wouldn’t be complete without it. So far there isn’t a Fantasmic scheduled for this night. I am really hoping they end up adding one. If not we will have to catch it on another night. It’s my favorite of the nighttime shows.

10/20-Animal Kingdom. AK closes early of course, so we will have a late dinner at Cape May back at the resort at 7:00

10/21- Waterpark day (weather permitting) We HAVE to do a waterpark (sometimes 2) when we visit. We like both, but our favorite is Typhoon Lagoon so that is where we will be going. The plan is to eat at WCC and then take advantage of the MK extra magic hours.

10/22- Epcot Dinner at Garden Grill (another one of our favorites)

10/23- Magic Kingdom Dinner @ LTT at 4:15. I really tried to score Ohana’s but there was nothing available until 9:45…. We have eaten there every trip and I really hate to miss it, but then again I guess it’s not the end of the world if we do. This is a MNSSHP night. I really wasn’t going to do that again. We went last year, and it was fun ,but I thought the crowds were huge. I also just didn’t want to spend the extra money…. However… I’m starting to lean towards doing it at this point.

10/24- Pack up and start the sad trip home….. There may be time for my husband to play one more round in the morning, while I get things packed up.

I just realized I have one more TS credit to use. I suppose I could keep looking for an Ohana’s reservation or book Primetime 50’s somewhere…. Or just play it by ear. Dare I do that?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I will be following along. You have a very handsome family. :cool1:

Looks like we already have some stuff in common. My Gabriel will be a bear next year when he starts third grade. He loves scouts! I also have a DS25 and remember very well when he first entered middle school. I was petrified:scared1:

I can't wait to read along as you plan your trip. I'm interested to see how you fit it in with all the boys activities:thumbsup2.

just read your update on your previous trips. I could not watch the videos:( Probably user error. However, your pictures are great. Especially the haircut picture:lmao:. Looks like we may have been there at the same time in 2011.

I know exactly what you mean about the cruise. We had one planned for September but cancelled because I know we will prefer the parks. We are just not cruise people. Now on to catch up on more of your report.

Just read the update about switching from the cabins to Beach Club. You know by reading my TR that Beach Club was not a good fit for our little family. However, it seems like it would be a good fit for your family. You will love being able to walk to EPCOT and take the boat to DHS. We also occasionally walk to DHS.

I think we have decided to stay in the Cabins for the second half of our September trip. We will be in our beloved Boardwalk for the first week and then the Cabin for our second week. We have never stayed at Fort Wilderness so I am excited because I think there is a ton to do at that resort but nervous because I do not like change when it comes to resorts (I prefer to be in the EPCOT area).

Its awesome that you got BC for just $500 more than the cabins. :cool1:

lsenquiz said:
just read your update on your previous trips. I could not watch the videos:( Probably user error. However, your pictures are great. Especially the haircut picture:lmao:. Looks like we may have been there at the same time in 2011.

I know exactly what you mean about the cruise. We had one planned for September but cancelled because I know we will prefer the parks. We are just not cruise people. Now on to catch up on more of your report.

Hey! Thanks for following along! Hmmmm... I don't know why the videos aren't working.... Re you on the mobile APP? I can't Get them to work through that, but if I pull up the regular website on my iPad it works perfectly. Strange.

Yeah... We enjoyed the cruise and I won't say we won't ever go on another, but probably not Disney. Just too much money and if I'm going to spend that much money on Disney we can stay club level. Lol!

lsenquiz said:
Just read the update about switching from the cabins to Beach Club. You know by reading my TR that Beach Club was not a good fit for our little family. However, it seems like it would be a good fit for your family. You will love being able to walk to EPCOT and take the boat to DHS. We also occasionally walk to DHS.

I think we have decided to stay in the Cabins for the second half of our September trip. We will be in our beloved Boardwalk for the first week and then the Cabin for our second week. We have never stayed at Fort Wilderness so I am excited because I think there is a ton to do at that resort but nervous because I do not like change when it comes to resorts (I prefer to be in the EPCOT area).

Its awesome that you got BC for just $500 more than the cabins. :cool1:

Honestly... I'm still debating upon switching to Fort Wilderness. I know my kids will like either resort, but FW has so much to offer... I really want to go to the Hoop dee doo and just enjoy the peacefulness of the cabins. I thought about the Boardwalk but my husband is freaked out by clowns. Hahahaha!m

Whatever you decide I don't think you will have a bad time. I would go where I thought the children would have the most fun.:goodvibes

I'm going to have to change the title of my report since our plans have totally changed! We are now staying at Fort Wilderness in the cabins. I just feel like its a better fit for my boys at the ages they are. I was also hesitant just because it was very hard to book BC to begin with as there was some type of convention going on and most rooms were booked! I was stressing about food and wine crowds, etc. Plus when FD came out I checked and there weren't any rooms at BC. I even checked at POR thinking we could really save some money, but they had nothing. Sooooooooo Fort Wilderness here we come! YEE HAW! With our cabin booked and in place.... I had to rearrange all our dining plans which is MUCH easier said than done when you are only a little over two months out. However, I am pretty happy with what I was able to score. Here's what I have so far, but I'm going to see if at the 45 day mark I might be able to snag a Ohana... Or the coveted BOG dinner. If not we will try for lunch there.

10/18- check in, possibly head over to the MK if we get in early enough. It's a MNSSHP night, so park will be closing early. Either way we will take the boat over to the Wilderness lodge for a late dinner at WCC. We have a ADR for 8:05. If we get in early enough and don't go to a park, I figure we will just take the time to explore the resort, get our bearings a little, unpack, swim in the pool, etc.... I'm leaning more towards this choice as I'm really trying to be less commando this trip and just enjoy the experience as a whole a little more.

10/19- our first full park day... And where are we headed? Hollywood Studios. I know... Bizarre right? We always start off our visit at the Magic Kingdom.... But according to all the crowd calendars HS is the place to be this day. I made a lunch reservation for Prime Time 50's. This is the night I designated to go to the camp fire sing a long with Chip and Dale and either watch the movie or try and catch Wishes from the beach and the light parade.

10/20- Animal Kingdom. Of course this park closes early so it's a perfect night to do the Hoop Dee Doo review! I am very excited for this and hope it does not disappoint!!!!!

10/21- This will be our waterpark day. I have a 7:15 ADR for Trails end, but I don't think we will keep it. I'm holding out for something to come available at the MK. If not we will just eat CS for both lunch and dinner this day. We will begin the day at the waterpark and then head over to the MK to hopefully ride what we can and catch the parade/fireworks. It's about time we get to the MK!

10/22- Epcot day. I think it's my favorite park. Love it here. My husband may venture off to golf in the morning which I'm sure will turn into afternoon... and catch up with us for dinner. We have a 7 pm ADR for Garden Grill which has me thinking we will watch Illuminations the next night.

10/23- Another Epcot day. This time focusing on the WS and food and Wine. We get to sleep in and head there when that part of the park opens. I have a ADR for Via Napoli. We have never eaten here, but I'm really excited about it. I think we will pay OOP for this meal. It just seems easier after all I have read! Will definitely catch illuminations this night if me missed it before!

10/24- A nice full day at the MK! I snagged a ADR for LTT for 4:15. Hoping something else comes available. We have eaten here every trip. I do like it.... But we wanted to change it up and eat at Crystal palace... Or Ohana's..... Or BOG. Either way... The time isn't very good... But. I took what I could get and there was literally nothing available at any restaraunt.

10/25- possibly head to a water park in the morning and then to HS in time for a 5:15 ADR at Sci Fi diner. We love it here and it's a must for every trip. Will definitely catch Fantasmic as this will be our last night. :( oh... And it just so happens that it's our 16th anniversary. Didn't plan it that way..... Just happened to fall on our trip! :)

10/26- pack up, check out with maybe a quick stop at DD for any souvenirs we may have forgotten.

So what do you think? It's too late to reserve a golf cart... I already tried. Even checked a place offsite that I found out about here on the boards. Hoping it won't be TOO much of a hassle. That is my biggest fear is transportation. To anyone who has stayed at FW... Is there a particular loop that's best? Close to transportation? Close to the pool? Is there a place to fill our mugs nearby?

Feel free to critique my plans. I would love to hear from you.

I think you made a smart choice with the Cabins. We are staying their for the first time in September so let me know if there is anything you want me to check out for you while we are there.

Our check in days sound very similar. We are also planning to enjoy the resort and then head over to Magic Kingdom.

HS is our favorite park so it is not unusual for us to do that on our first full park day. We also plan to eat at 50's prime time. I just loved their food when we went for our May trip.

I can not wait to watch Wishes and the Light Parade from Fort Wilderness.

We are also doing Hopp De Doo review on our Animal Kingdom day. It will be a first for most of the people in our group.

Have you done Food and Wine before? We haven't but I would love to some day.

I know what you mean about taking what you can get with your 4:15 ressie for LTT. Making last minute dining reservations during free dining is just not easy.

Congratulations on getting to celebrate your Anniversay at Disney. Ours is in July so I do not see that ever happening for us.

I am also interested in the best loop choice. We do not have a golf cart but I have not given up on trying. Did you try Kenny at Tee Time? That is who I am trying to get ahold of now but he is very difficult to track down.

It's been awhile since I have posted and I have tons of plan changes! When my classes start I don't have much time to update unfortunately. I had a physics test today and hoping I did ok on it. Anyway..... I did manage to secure a golf cart at FW yesterday. We could only get it for the last half of e trip, but I figure by then we will really appreciate it! We also get to try the magic bands! We booked a one night at POR the night before we check in the cabins. We were going to stay offsite anyways, so this worked out. I customized them and they came UPS yesterday morning. We got our Mickey mail the day before that. I am so excited. You know when you start getting that stuff it's getting close. I'll be back with another update soon on our epic schedule and dining changes. Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter