Mickey light post directions

Gonna try my own version - got most of the parts. However, my head is glass, not plastic. All the glass places I've contacted say I've got a slim to none chance that the globe will survive trying to cut 2 holes. Anyone got any ideas whether I can do this myself - and if so, how? The professionals will try to use a hole saw with diamonds, but again, they say the globe will probably shatter.

I read the directions on here and made a couple of these myself. I changed it up just a little. Made the head and the pole detachable so it would be easier to store in the camper. (for those of you who know what a "fernco" is, I used one of those to make it easier to take apart) and put a electrical plug between the light and the pole so I can just run the extension up the pole and plug it in. I found the light online
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100467334
it was about $55 then after I ordered it I was at a home depot in a different town and found the same thing for $26. All together, I have about $50 in the complete light. If anyone needs any info, feel free to pm me.

John

This thread has given me the idea to bring new life to my solar lamp post! Maybe some small stakes to put around the patio! Thanks for the great ideas!

One place we camp doesn't have electricity and the generator takes away from the quiet we sometimes crave so we use alot of solar lights... lay them in the sun for the day and use them in the camper at night. Now Mickey will guide us!

Thanks!

Well, our lamp post is almost finished. We just have to glue some pieces together and do a little bit of wiring. But here is a picture of what it will look like unlit.

mmlight.jpg

I will post a picture of it lit up when we get it finished.

That's great!!!!! BTW, that picture you have on your wall with the monorail~ I have it on a mug! It says "Mom" and I get cranky when I don't have it for my morning coffe ;)

Well, our lamp post is almost finished. We just have to glue some pieces together and do a little bit of wiring. But here is a picture of what it will look like unlit.

mmlight.jpg

I will post a picture of it lit up when we get it finished.

Looks great, what did you use for the base?

The base is a christmas tree base that I painted to match the post. I have a 4" to 3" reducer in there to keep it from wobbling too much. (That's one of the pieces that I need to glue in :thumbsup2 )

Well, my two lamps were up for 2 weeks, through about 3 thunderstorms, and a couple of good wind storms and held up great! If anyone wants directions, go to www.RvUsa.org and check em out!

My dad took the directions and made me a HUGE Mickey Lamppost! The head was a 16 inch globe with 8 inch ears! He followed the directions given here and it looked fantastic! Had several compliments on it. It too survived the daily deluge and wind.

My dad took the directions and made me a HUGE Mickey Lamppost! The head was a 16 inch globe with 8 inch ears! He followed the directions given here and it looked fantastic! Had several compliments on it. It too survived the daily deluge and wind.

Photos please :goodvibes

I cant find a BIG ENOUGH globe for the head....my local HDepot and Lowes have the same ones that Flrickd used..THOSE LOOK GREAT, I dont mean that thats arent good enough...but i feel like the head part should be larger....but cant find the dang acrylic globes in any larger sizes...OR even if I could find smaller ear globes would be great, Ive never checked on ebay though....uhohhh....I feel an ebay binge coming on!!!!

Rodger, I can get you the globe at home depot here and mail it to you with the mickey decal if you like, It was about $26. Let me know. John

Dad ordered the 16 inch glove off the internet and bought the 8 inch ones from HD. I think the big one was around $30.

As soon as I can figure out how to post a pic I will!

The head was a 16 inch globe with 8 inch ears!

I just picked these up the other day at my local HD. The first time I've found them in stock at HD or Lowes in my area. The 8" globes were around $12 each and the 16" was around $25 (I think) so right off the bat I'm about $50 in the hole. The other parts should come to around $15 so not too bad overall (imagine what Di$ney would charge). Yesterday I spent about an hour at HD looking at the PVC and the parts (time well spent in my opinion). Of course I didn't have my globe with me, or the parts list, so I grabbed another one to use and found what I needed. I get the parts home and look at my globe (16") and realize it is much larger than the one I used for measurements (12"). Doh! So today I'll go back to HD, with my globe, to get the right sized parts.

I do have a question for the more experienced since I've never done this before. When wiring the light socket to the wire, does it matter which wires are connected to which wires? I "assuming" that since I'm just making a circuit, opened and closed by the light switch, it won't make a difference but I wanted to check before I electrocute myself. :scared:

When wiring, remember white to silver, black to bronze. There should be 2 different colored screws on the plug, and the colors are on the wire.

John

I have finally started putting together my Mickey lamp post, I'm working on it in bits and pieces due to other projects/issues, so I thought I'd post a few pictures of my progress thus far. I'm not good with these technical terms so bear with me. Those of you in the construction or do-it-yourself-home remodeling field will know what these are.

Here is a picture of the parts I have gathered. All purchased at Home Depot. I'm using the big globes, 16" and 8".
Parts.JPG

I think this is a 4" coupler. Inside of that is a 4" to 2" coupler. I borrowed a rubber mallet at Home Depot to pound it in. We, meaning DW, decided I should use 2" PVC pipe for the post so this will sit right on top.
4%20and%202.JPG

Here it is flipped over.
4%20and%202%20Flipped.JPG

I found this light socket in the section with the metal and PVC conduit. It was on a low shelf and I looked past it a few times. It is encased in rubber for outdoor use.
Socket.JPG

I can't remember if this is a 1" or 1 1/4" threaded PVC conduit coupler. I found it in the same area as the light socket. I bought it because of the size, it just happened to be threaded.
1%20quarter%20inch.JPG

The light socket fits very snugly into the small coupler and that fits somewhat snug into the 4" to 2" coupler. I'll hot glue the coupler in place.
Adaptors.JPG

The large globe fits perfectly onto the 4" coupler.
Big%20Ball.JPG

This is the first time I've really used a Dremel type tool. I have a small rechargeable Dremel that I use on occasion for light stuff but it wasn't cutting it for this job so I purchased a Black & Decker RTX. Man, does that thing have some torque. The first ear hole I cut out didn't go so well. It's not really that round (even though I did manage to trace circles where I wanted the ears) but I figure I can patch it up with the silicone. The second ear hole went almost perfect. I'm going to tack the ears in place with hot glue then silicone them. One thing I have to figure out is how to keep the Mickey head on the 4" coupler. I'm thinking some sort of screw through the globe into the coupler so I can remove it as needed.

Here are pictures of the Mickey head so far. I bought an 8' replacement power cord at Wally World.
Lights%20On.JPG

I was hoping the ears would be brighter. This is using a 60 watt equivalent compact fluorescent bulb I had on hand.
Lights%20Off.JPG

I like the way this is turning out but I may opt to redo the large globe. I'm sort of OCD, according to DW and DS, and the not-round ear hole (you can see it below the left ear above) is going to bug me. It makes the one ear look a little off.

Cant you splice into the wires just below the globe and run a smaller socket to each ear, using like the large christmas bulbs?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter