Mickey Ears Baseball Cap

ilovefh

Is it Disney time yet?
I read in someone's PJ that they made a grooms mickey ears baseball cap. I think Dfiance would like this better than the top hat. Does anyone know whose journal it was?

I believe ElleBren and Donald'sGirl have done this. Here are the instructions I've been giving out:

We used a cheap groom ball cap I bought as a set (with a bride cap) for $10 on eBay. For the groom ears, just buy a cheap-o set of classic black mouse ears and cut them off, leaving a bit of the material at the base of them.

We made slits in the sides of the ball cap and pushed the fabric left at the base of the ears through, then covered it on the inside of the cap with black felt that was affixed using Barge, an industrial-strength adhesive they use to put soles on shoes. You can also use contact adhesive/cement made by Dap or 3M (and found at the hardware store). But DH doesn't recommend hot glue because it isn't a strong enough bond.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! That was very helpful! He wants to wear the top hat, but I think he'll be more comfortable in this!

Definitely! That's exactly why we made the ballcaps - they are WAY more comfy than the top hat and the headband, plus they keep the sun off! :)

Carrie is correct. I am going to be doing this. I have bought all the stuff (finally!) and I just need to put them together. When I am done I will post pics in my PJ (link is in my siggy).

They were super easy to do, and I know my dh is more adapt to wear the baseball cap rather than the top hat. I think I posted a pic of mine, but I'll toss it up one more time.

I used plain black ears for the groom cap, but I don't like sequins so I used a pink infant hat for the bride ears. I also just bought pink tulle and hot glued it to the hat. I used hot glue for everything. It was very easy & strong.

DSCN0937.jpg

heres the inside, I didn't use the extra fabric because I didn't see a need.

Photo33.jpg

ETA: I got the ears from ebay and the hats from Florian Studios

OK - I have my baseball caps from eBay, the Mickey hat w/black ears to cut out for the groom cap and the bridal ears for the bride cap.

Question - how do you get the sequined ears off the headband to attach them to the baseball cap, since the ears are attached to the headband? I am thinking I may just have to glue the whole bridal ears w/headband to the cap, LOL!

DH says the ears are just wired to headband and covered in fabric. As he remembers it, he just cut the fabric on the headband away at the base of the ears and clipped the wire....

Carrie how far did he clip the wire? I finished mine and they turned out awesome but I left the full lenght of the wire and just folded it back but I am thinking that clipping it might be better.

Hmmm... I'm not sure (and we don't have them anymore :sad1: ) but I would say that if you can clip the wire and have them remain stable, go for it!

Thanks Carrie! Hmm... I don't know. I might try cutting them a little bit but still leave them long enough so that do stay in place.

i know this is an old post, but i thought i'd bump to warn anyone doing this.

DON'T use gorilla glue. it leaked through the fabric of the hat and bleached the black out of the groom hat. i now have to buy a new groom hat and start over. boo.

I would definitely recommend Barge Cement as an adhesive over Gorilla Glue or hot glue.

I went crazy and sewed the wires on my bride cap and for the groom cap I used enough fabric in the button that they were fairly stable on their own and then used Badge Magic, the fabric glue that I use at attach my son's cub scout insignia to his uniform. Also, I then attached some silk cording around the ear base as trim. It cleaned it up a little and those ears are super sturdy.

My big concern now is getting them to Florida without crushing them.

Juli,

Thanks for the advice on the Badge Magic. I just ordered some. Any hints about using it? I am also using it for to make the baseball hats.

Next month.....:yay::yay::dance3:

The badge magic is pretty awesome but if you use too much, it will saturate the fabric so just be careful!

I ended up using some silk cording to go around the ears on my groom hat to hide the slash in the fabric.

We finished ours last weekend. I ordered the hats from Etsy, since I found someone who could whatever colors I wanted and had the Disney font. We used regular Mickey ears for Paul's and the Bridal ear hat (not the headband) for me. Cut them up the way we wanted and made the new hats using Badge Magic. We love the way they turned out.

2FDC340A.jpg

Bumping this up...planning to this for our wedding trip and I thought there might be some other brides interested in these as well...

Brooke

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter