• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Michigan's Adventure

Ew, 8 hours. You're not any closer than I am :goodvibes

That said, it sounds like it'd be right up your alley. 90% of the water rides are akin to "gentle" rollercoasters. My family isn't into the big thrill rides at typical theme parks, but loves water parks. Accomodations at The Dells can be quite nice, and there's plenty of other stuff going on aside from the water parks.

Yeah not too close but doable for a good family trip. I'll look into it for sure!

If you want to spend a few days around the area I would suggest staying at Double JJ Resort. Indoor and outdoor waterpark, horseback riding, rodeos every Saturday night with a pig roast. Great golf and activities to keep everyone busy. A trip to michigan's adventure would last you a day. If you wanted to stay closer to the park, I'd recommend the weathervane inn in Whitehall, mi. I live in Whitehall and I love it here!

Double JJ Resort?? That's the first time I've heard of it. I'll do a search for more information. Sounds great.

I don't like huge rollar coaster myself and I think that there is plenty to do at Cedar Point and they have a water park too. You could always look at their on-line brochure to see what rides they have. I was just there last May after not having been there for many years and was suprised how much they offer. Whatever you do - have a really good time!
I was really glad to read this since we are wimpy when it comes to roller coasters. I'm looking forward to taking advantage of all that's in the area. Kalahari has been on my mind for awhile. Combining the two would be great. Thanks!
MI Adventure is fun, but not for more than a day. I would do the Double JJ like someone else said and pair it up with MI Adventure OR I would rent a house on or near Lake Michigan and incorporate MI Adventure into my plans. There are some gorgeous beaches along MI's west coast. Also, tons of campgrounds if you are outdoorsy. I could be a fabulous (but different and not deluxe) vacation.

I do think we can do this!! Have a fabulous, nice, vacation not in Disney! Did I just say that?? Lol. I do love beaches.

The price is great for Michigan Adventure. I think it is $25.

My family really enjoys the waterpark. They would rather be there than the ride the rides.

We have stayed in Grand Rapids at a nicer hotel.

The price for Michigan Adventure is what caught me to begin with. 25 for all that they have seems quite reasonable. I wish there were better accommodations around the area. We could easily take a day trip to check it out because I still think it would be fun. Just maybe not a vacation. Thanks!

I know meijer here in Ohio offer Cedar point tickets. other places to check ticket prices on are AAA, Cedar point website itself, plus request fun book there always seemed to be coupons in there for hotels, tickets etc. If you think you might do MI Adventure this year along with CP there is an annual pass that gets you both. MY bff raves about Double J resort and wants me to come up and join her for a weekend.

I live in Muskegon, about 10 mins away from Michigan's Adventure. If you are use to Disney, Michigan's Adventure does not come close. When I was younger we use to get season passes, not we usually go once a summer. However last summer was miserable. My fiance and I went for the day. We got there right when they opened and within an hour the park closed due to capacity.

It is kind of like two parks in one (hence there motto "two parks for the price of one") The 'ride' side is okay. Nothing too exciting. It does have shivering timbers which for awhile, or maybe it still is, was the biggest wooden roller coaster. But the rides are so so.

The water park is fun. two wave pools. slides. tubes ( at a fee) some water rides.

The park is very exspensive we thought. The food is way over priced, not much variety. But that's not surprising.

The theme of the park is snoopy & friends. So they come out sometimes to meet & greet.

Also there is not really any good hotels in Muskegon. Only a few in downtown muskegon, holiday inn and shoreline inn. but this is not the greatest part of town and would avoid it.

Weather Vane Inn is nice, and located across the street from dog & suds. Of the double JJ is nice, but not too close to MA. You could come camping in West Michigan is you guys are into that sort of thing. It is popular here, then go to Michigan's Adventure for the day!

I would suggest Chicago. We just went there by train a few months ago. We had alot of fun, we went shopping, rainforest cafe, shedd's aquarium, Sears Tower. They have alot. two zoos. american girls place and lego store. museums.

Have a great trip!!

My parents have a place in Whitehall/Montague. My DD and I visited Michigan Adventure, I think in 2005. We thought it was a fun way to spend the day. We liked the roller coasters and the waterpark features. I second the idea of staying at the JJ Ranch and doing thing there on another day. (We've only done winter things there, but had a great time, so figure the summer activities are good too).

You might think of trying Boyne Mountain as an alternative.

We are HUGE Disney fans and have done 6 flags, Michigan Adventure, Cedar Point, and Double J Ranch. We have stayed at the Weathervane Inn in Montague, MI. We have also stayed at the Ramada Inn and Comfort Inn Whitehall (YUCK) we stayed there when picking up children from Blue Lake Music camp. I would not stay at either of those last two unless I had to. The Weathervane was OK….in my opinion similar to the Disney Moderate Hotels.

Michigan Adventure was OK…smallish, the other visitors are nice. Cedar Point is fun but frankly last time we went there we spent almost as much as we would to go for a short trip to Disney (minus the travel to FL expense). Last time we did Cedar Point we stayed at the on site Hotel, and did one day at each the park and the water park. Its nice enough, clean enough and since we haven't been in about 5 years we are thinking about going back.

How about going to Traverse City and staying at Great Wolf Lodge, and taking day trips to the sights….like the Sleeping Bear Dunes. All the cute little towns up there, hiking, canoeing, horse back riding, Traverse City has a minor, minor league baseball team, go to a game, Traverse City has a drive in theater also! :yay:

Hi neighbor! We too are from SE Michigan and it wouldn't be summer if we didn't go to Cedar Point. :goodvibes There are so many rides of all different levels that your family is sure to find ones they like. I haven't been to the waterpark for many years, but hear it is fun.

The past two winters we have gone to Kalahari and my kids LOVED it! Check their website often for good deals. We have done both years at a rate of $108 per night. The theme of the hotel is awesome. Really reminds me of a deluxe disney resort.

Port Clinton, which is close to Sandusky, also has a drive through safari park which I heard is a lot of fun.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!:)

Hi neighbor! We too are from SE Michigan and it wouldn't be summer if we didn't go to Cedar Point. :goodvibes There are so many rides of all different levels that your family is sure to find ones they like. I haven't been to the waterpark for many years, but hear it is fun.

The past two winters we have gone to Kalahari and my kids LOVED it! Check their website often for good deals. We have done both years at a rate of $108 per night. The theme of the hotel is awesome. Really reminds me of a deluxe disney resort.

Port Clinton, which is close to Sandusky, also has a drive through safari park which I heard is a lot of fun.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!:)

I would LOVE to do Kalahari! I'm hoping they have some type of deals in the summer though since that is when we would go!! AKL is my favorite resort so I must stay at Kalahari one day! Soon!! Thanks!

We are HUGE Disney fans and have done 6 flags, Michigan Adventure, Cedar Point, and Double J Ranch. We have stayed at the Weathervane Inn in Montague, MI. We have also stayed at the Ramada Inn and Comfort Inn Whitehall (YUCK) we stayed there when picking up children from Blue Lake Music camp. I would not stay at either of those last two unless I had to. The Weathervane was OK….in my opinion similar to the Disney Moderate Hotels.

Michigan Adventure was OK…smallish, the other visitors are nice. Cedar Point is fun but frankly last time we went there we spent almost as much as we would to go for a short trip to Disney (minus the travel to FL expense). Last time we did Cedar Point we stayed at the on site Hotel, and did one day at each the park and the water park. Its nice enough, clean enough and since we haven't been in about 5 years we are thinking about going back.

How about going to Traverse City and staying at Great Wolf Lodge, and taking day trips to the sights….like the Sleeping Bear Dunes. All the cute little towns up there, hiking, canoeing, horse back riding, Traverse City has a minor, minor league baseball team, go to a game, Traverse City has a drive in theater also! :yay:

Ahhh, my DH loves Petoskey so this is something to consider!! Have never been to Great Wolf Lodge either so maybe we'll look into that. Thanks for the tip. Went to Sleeping Bear Dunes with my DG who recently passed away when I was younger so that has sentimental value too!

My parents have a place in Whitehall/Montague. My DD and I visited Michigan Adventure, I think in 2005. We thought it was a fun way to spend the day. We liked the roller coasters and the waterpark features. I second the idea of staying at the JJ Ranch and doing thing there on another day. (We've only done winter things there, but had a great time, so figure the summer activities are good too).

You might think of trying Boyne Mountain as an alternative.

That's what I'm hearing. A day trip mostly. I just looked into the JJ Ranch this morning and am so surprised I'd never heard of it before this thread. Crazy to me since I've been here my whole life. Thanks!

I live in Muskegon, about 10 mins away from Michigan's Adventure. If you are use to Disney, Michigan's Adventure does not come close. When I was younger we use to get season passes, not we usually go once a summer. However last summer was miserable. My fiance and I went for the day. We got there right when they opened and within an hour the park closed due to capacity.

It is kind of like two parks in one (hence there motto "two parks for the price of one") The 'ride' side is okay. Nothing too exciting. It does have shivering timbers which for awhile, or maybe it still is, was the biggest wooden roller coaster. But the rides are so so.

The water park is fun. two wave pools. slides. tubes ( at a fee) some water rides.

The park is very exspensive we thought. The food is way over priced, not much variety. But that's not surprising.

The theme of the park is snoopy & friends. So they come out sometimes to meet & greet.

Also there is not really any good hotels in Muskegon. Only a few in downtown muskegon, holiday inn and shoreline inn. but this is not the greatest part of town and would avoid it.

Weather Vane Inn is nice, and located across the street from dog & suds. Of the double JJ is nice, but not too close to MA. You could come camping in West Michigan is you guys are into that sort of thing. It is popular here, then go to Michigan's Adventure for the day!

I would suggest Chicago. We just went there by train a few months ago. We had alot of fun, we went shopping, rainforest cafe, shedd's aquarium, Sears Tower. They have alot. two zoos. american girls place and lego store. museums.

Have a great trip!!

This is what I'm afraid of about everywhere we go now. Nothing comes close to WDW. What have I done? Chicago is looking like a good alternative and this would be a great reason to see the city since we've been wanting to. Thanks!

I know meijer here in Ohio offer Cedar point tickets. other places to check ticket prices on are AAA, Cedar point website itself, plus request fun book there always seemed to be coupons in there for hotels, tickets etc. If you think you might do MI Adventure this year along with CP there is an annual pass that gets you both. MY bff raves about Double J resort and wants me to come up and join her for a weekend.

Thanks! I knew there were discounts for CP often. I faguely remember them offering a great deal to us Michiganders last year but I think it was more towards fall maybe. So much to think about now. Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions!

Its always fun to try something new....Chicago or Up North, or Cedar Point. But if your heart is really into Disney how about trying a different level hotel to save the difference? The Mod's have been up dated Port Orleans have the cool new rooms, or the brand new Art of Animation is opening this summer...would be fun to stay there. We have driven from Michigan it is about 4 tanks of gas...for my SUV that would be about $300 each way plus a hotel night (great places south of Atlanta). You might find you would spend as much to go to the other places you are considering....crunch your numbers.. we are waiting to go back to WDW until the new Fantasyland is all open....but I might be tempted by a brand new hotel....My boy child plays baseball all summer otherwise I might be going myself! Good Luck!

If you want to spend a few days around the area I would suggest staying at Double JJ Resort. Indoor and outdoor waterpark, horseback riding, rodeos every Saturday night with a pig roast. Great golf and activities to keep everyone busy. A trip to michigan's adventure would last you a day. If you wanted to stay closer to the park, I'd recommend the weathervane inn in Whitehall, mi. I live in Whitehall and I love it here!

That's what we usually do. Between the resort and Michigan's Adventure it is a trip worthy of 3-4 nights. We also like combining Michigan's Adventure with a trip up the Lake Michigan coast to Ludington, our vacation property near Baldwin, Sleeping Bear, etc.

I also live in the Detroit area (Belleville area) and have done Disney as well as Cedar Point etc. Another suggestion would be King's Island in Cincinnati. It has great rides for kids (if you are not into all the big ones at Cedar Point) Kings Island might be ideal. There is a lot to do in the area like the zoo etc. For our family it is only a 4 hour drive (a little more for you since you are on the north side of DTW). We had a great time there (my son was 6 at the time and could ride many of the rides). There were not horrible waits in line. There were lots of hotels near the parks in all price ranges. It may be something to consider. Hope this helps!:cheer2:

I also live in the Detroit area (Belleville area) and have done Disney as well as Cedar Point etc. Another suggestion would be King's Island in Cincinnati. It has great rides for kids (if you are not into all the big ones at Cedar Point) Kings Island might be ideal. There is a lot to do in the area like the zoo etc. For our family it is only a 4 hour drive (a little more for you since you are on the north side of DTW). We had a great time there (my son was 6 at the time and could ride many of the rides). There were not horrible waits in line. There were lots of hotels near the parks in all price ranges. It may be something to consider. Hope this helps!:cheer2:

I was going to suggest Kings Island, too. They have a lot of milder rides and there is a Great Wolf Lodge nearby.

We went to Cedar Point last year and had a great time. My family of five only has 2 big coaster fans but we all managed to find plenty to do and have a great time doing it. In addition to the Kalahari, there is also a Great Wolf Lodge near CP that we have stayed in many times. My kids loved it!

As for Michigan's Adventure, I've never been but I haven't heard much bad about it. It's a cute, fun, well run, little park. However, you cannot come close to comparing it to Disney. There is plenty to do on Michigan's west coast besides the park, though. It's absolutely gorgeous over there!

We are from Chicago, and going to MI Adventure this summer. We're going camping with friends for 4 days in Muskegon, in one of the state parks where the campground is right on Lake Michigan. So MI Adventure is just kind of an 'add on' for our trip.

While I don't think you could necessarily make an entire trip out of MI Adventure, there are definitely other things to do if you want to jump around a bit. The South Haven area is beautiful, there are 'high end' restaurants and lovely beaches. Oval Beach has been rated one of the top ten beaches in the US, although personally I think there are others nearby that are really nice too. If you are outdoorsy, check out the MI State Parks web site--many things to do including fun beaches with dunes.

By the way, MI Adventure is owned by the same company that owns Cedar Point (and Knott's Berry Farm and many others) so they have the same Peanuts theming.

I would head to Sandusky Ohio to Cedar Point. If you can swing it, stay at one of their resorts on the beach. Very nice to relax after hitting the park all day. Or, there is also a Great Wolf Lodge or Kalahari Resort in Sandusky.

Kalahari Resort is a huge indoor/outdoor waterpark, maybe more than twice the size of Great Wolf Lodge. It is a riot, fun for all ages. Plus they have the mini petting zoo and challenge courses outside. There are nearby restaraunts to eat and some shopping.

Both the waterparks are a short drive to Cedar Point. There is also another waterpark but I have never stayed there.

We did a Chicago trip two summers ago and it was fantastic. It is a 6 hr drive for us. We are going for another 5 days this July for our kids birthday. We will be going to the Six Flags park just outside the city.

Have fun !!!

IF I were coming across to hit Michigan's Adventure I would spend the night in GR for deluxe accommodations. Michigan's west lake shore is home to nothing but Holiday Inns, Ramada's and Comfort Inns. We have had fun at Michigan's Adventure but it is nothing like Six Flags or Cedar Point for things to do.

South Haven is nice, a great family beach area but again home to the Holiday Inn Express type hotel.

You could stay in GR, do MI Adventure for the day, and drive down to South Haven for the next day. Then go on the 3 hours to Chicago from there for the weekend. The gas might not get you but the parking will in Chicago! We leave our car in Dune Park Indiana at the South Shore line station. We take that train in so we don't pay parking everywhere we go!

In Chicago I would hit Shedd, Science and Industry and Lincoln Park Zoo. We like to stay at the Wyndham for its small pool for Dd.

The Best Western Plus River North Hotel in Chicago offers the ONLY FREE PARKING in Chicago. We stayed here our first trip and will be again this July. Great hotel and fantastic staff. It is also in a great location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter