Michigan to Orlando - spring break advice

I live in Michigan too and have made the road trip to Florida many times. I would never ever drive straight thru. It is a long drive, and you will arrive exhausted and waste your first day anyway. Not to mention I've also been in the car when the driver who said they were fine fell asleep at the wheel in the middle of the night. Not worth the risk.

There is widening in Lexington that gets really ugly if an accident occurs.
Yea, I'm still trying to figure out why they're widening there... it's three lanes each direction already. Things only get tied up if there's an accident (usually further south or north), so widening doesn't really help.

Yea, I'm still trying to figure out why they're widening there... it's three lanes each direction already. Things only get tied up if there's an accident (usually further south or north), so widening doesn't really help.
Southbound stacks up through there in the afternoons, especially on Fridays. Never have really had issues NB at all. I'm also not sure why they chose to widen that part either. I would have 3 laned the northern 75/64 split 2 miles north of there before adding a 4th lane further south.

Southbound stacks up through there in the afternoons, especially on Fridays. Never have really had issues NB at all. I'm also not sure why they chose to widen that part either. I would have 3 laned the northern 75/64 split 2 miles north of there before adding a 4th lane further south.
I used to get on SB at the 113 M-F around 5-530. It did slow down slightly, but I think it was more people not realizing 64 EB is a LEFT exit. That southern split is where things normally cleared up. Again, if they don't widen the splits, the 4 lane won't really matter.

As mentioned above, there is a Buc-ee's north of Atlanta (Calhoun) and also one south of Macon (Warner Robins). Great gas prices, very nice restrooms and a generally over-the-top experience.

As mentioned above, there is a Buc-ee's north of Atlanta (Calhoun) and also one south of Macon (Warner Robins). Great gas prices, very nice restrooms and a generally over-the-top experience.
There's one at exit 83 in Kentucky. I don't know about other Buc-ee's, but you can NOT see what the gas prices are from the highway (actually can't see them until you get to the parking lot/pumps). BUT, every time we've been, it's been five-ten cents cheaper/gallon than others in the area.

I would try to see if it fits in my scheduled gas refills, but at the same time, it's easy to lose a LOT of time shopping.

On a 17 hour drive, every two hours would be 8-9 stops. That would add an hour or two of time. Don't get me wrong, that might be fine for you, I'm just the kind who doesn't "enjoy the drive".
Yes I suppose I should clarify that statement. We have a 9 year old and a 2.5 year old. I'm not at all worried about the 9 year old on a long road trip. If we let her, she could sit all day on the couch and watch her iPad. So a trip in the car should be no issue.

The 2.5 year old is the wild card. She generally does pretty good in the car, but my thought was to stop about every two hours just for her to get out and get the wiggles out. We would get about 6-7 hours of the 17 done, stopping every 2ish hours. Then it would be bedtime and we should be able to do some long stretches uninterrupted.

I live in Michigan too and have made the road trip to Florida many times. I would never ever drive straight thru. It is a long drive, and you will arrive exhausted and waste your first day anyway. Not to mention I've also been in the car when the driver who said they were fine fell asleep at the wheel in the middle of the night. Not worth the risk.
I hear you on this. I've driven straight through before and yes that first day is wasted. But honestly, even when we fly we figure it as a travel day anyways and don't make any plans for that day.

I'm not sure that taking two days and spending 8.5 hours each day driving sounds a whole lot better either. But safety is paramount and need to be very conscious to not push it too far. I do recall on previous overnight trips that the tiredness can come on suddenly. Important that if you even feel a little tired, just stop.

We have family about 14 hours south so could stop there but not sure I want to do that. Figure worse case we drive straight through and dh and I nap while girls hit the pool and lazy river or parks.

Are you banking on your room being ready? If it is not, what is your back up plan?

If you have ANY thoughts of stopping overnight, be prepared that many others may have the same thought and a hotel may or may not be available. I'm sure that this may no longer be the case, but when we last drove from Michigan in 2010, we made hotel reservations for the trip home. We had 6 people (4 drivers) but we knew we were going to stop overnight. I can't remember where we made the reservation, but while we waited to check in (mobile check in wasn't a thing back then), we saw multiple people get turned away due to no vacancy. We heard many lamenting that they would "have to keep going" and that they'd been "checking for miles" because everything was full.

When we drive, we leave in the afternoon, drive 4-5 hours and then stop for the night (usually southern Ohio/Northern KY) and then get up and make the remaining drive the next day. If we have time, we take it easy and stop around Lake City, FL and stay there for the night and then make the 2-hr or so drive to Orlando on the third morning and arrive rested and ready to go. We have driven 4 times and we have done it both ways.

If you have ANY thoughts of stopping overnight, be prepared that many others may have the same thought and a hotel may or may not be available. I'm sure that this may no longer be the case, but when we last drove from Michigan in 2010, we made hotel reservations for the trip home. We had 6 people (4 drivers) but we knew we were going to stop overnight. I can't remember where we made the reservation, but while we waited to check in (mobile check in wasn't a thing back then), we saw multiple people get turned away due to no vacancy. We heard many lamenting that they would "have to keep going" and that they'd been "checking for miles" because everything was full.

When we drive, we leave in the afternoon, drive 4-5 hours and then stop for the night (usually southern Ohio/Northern KY) and then get up and make the remaining drive the next day. If we have time, we take it easy and stop around Lake City, FL and stay there for the night and then make the 2-hr or so drive to Orlando on the third morning and arrive rested and ready to go. We have driven 4 times and we have done it both ways.
DH hates to commit to a motel on the road as he worries we won’t leave on time, traffic issues, etc. Now I will make a reservation with my phone mid-afternoon for the area we think we will want to stop. Works for us. I also recommend the GasBuddy app.

Also to OP, we have rented cars for long road trips many times. Saves wear and tear on our car and might be more reliable (tend to do it when our cars are getting older).

We are in Cleveland, so it's a good day and a half drive. We do not like the non-stop drive and even with one night in a hotel each way it still works out significantly cheaper to drive.
We are considering driving for the first time from the Cleveland area. Where do you like to stop? DH didn't want the pressure of booking a hotel, but then I started looking and realized that some hotels on our route still had smoking rooms.

We are considering driving for the first time from the Cleveland area. Where do you like to stop? DH didn't want the pressure of booking a hotel, but then I started looking and realized that some hotels on our route still had smoking rooms.
We just made the drive this week. Stopped in Savannah, right off the highway near the airport. Nice, clean hotel. We stayed at the Springhill Suites. We left Cleveland a little late, 10am and arrived in Savannah at 10pm but the last few hours was really slow due to heavy rain. It's about 4 or 4-1/2 to Disney from there. Honestly it's a really doable drive. I just don't like the roads in West Virginia, so curvy.

We just drove to Kissimmee from the Ann Arbor area. We stopped overnight in Cleveland, TN. There were 3 hotels just off of I-75; Holiday Inn, Best Western, and La Quinta. Not a bad drive to Cleveland and then to Kissimmee the next day.

Cleveland isn't a bad place to stop from Michigan. It's about 8 1/2 hours to Orlando. However, if you're travelling to Orlando on a weekday, you can't leave it too early. I wouldn't leave Cleveland until about 7:30 to 8 AM. It's about two hours from Cleveland to Atlanta, and you don't want to be caught up in Atlanta rush hour.

If you're driving on a weekend, I'd think about staying in Chattanooga, rather than Cleveland. There's a better selection of hotels in Chattanooga, especially at exit 1, right on the border. And you're a half hour closer to Orlando. The drawback on weekdays...you'd have to leave later to avoid Atlanta rush hour traffic.

Thanks for all the replies so far. We are currently watching airfare from another state 😳 and pricing out that verse driving. We'd most likely visit a relative who recently moved into a new house in that city and is really bummed no one has visited the new house yet - if we fly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter