Miami to Orlando: Renting a Car for 8 People

stickeymouse

DIS Veteran
There are 8 of us, which is providing quite a challenge in getting to Orlando from the Port of Miami. We wish to rent a car, preferably a large passenger van, so that we can all be in the same vehicle. I'm assuming the easiest way to do this would be for the rental driver to go pick the car up and then pick the others up from the port? Some rental companies provide a free shuttle to their offices, or the driver could simply take a cab to the rental office. I know it's wishful thinking, but I wish there was a rental car company that would drop the vehicle off at the port terminal so we could leave straight from there.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can make this any easier? Much appreciated, thanks.

We transported 9 from Miami to WDW on Black Friday in 2013. We rented 2 Minivans from Alamo at the Miami airport. We all took the free Alamo shuttle from the port to the airport (but 4 of us were authorized drivers).

We looked at renting a larger passenger van, but no one really wanted that much togetherness with all the luggage in a vehicle likely to have a horrible ride. For the ride from our Miami hotel to the port with 11 of us, we had a car service with a large van AND a trailer for our luggage. The cost of the 2 minivans for a week ended up being less than a one day rental of the larger van.

Best of luck -- Suzanne

I would second the two minivans. I think you could get a vehicle that fit all 8 of you without much issue (they rent 8 seat minivans), but your luggage would be an issue. For the price of a 15 passenger van, you could get two minivans much cheaper.

I third the minivan idea. We are renting a minivan from the Alamo at MIA on 10/14/15 for 6 days, dropping off at MCO for S210 total cost. This includes all rental car company fees and taxes. We will either take the Alamo shuttle from the port of Miami or take a cab, whichever is quicker at the time.

Thanks, everyone! Still leaning toward getting a 12-passenger van. We'll only need it for the 3-5 hour commute to Orlando, so a 1-day rental is quite reasonable. Again, I just wished that the rental company would magically pick you up with it at the port, but we'll deal with it!

Thanks, everyone! Still leaning toward getting a 12-passenger van. We'll only need it for the 3-5 hour commute to Orlando, so a 1-day rental is quite reasonable. Again, I just wished that the rental company would magically pick you up with it at the port, but we'll deal with it!
You might want to see if you can find a 15 passenger van, which should have 5 rows of seating. With 8 people in a 12 passenger, which should have 4 rows of seating 2-3-3-4, you are going to be very limited in the amount of luggage. If everyone has only carryon size luggage, a 12 passenger will probably work for 8 people. -- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter