Miami Port Car Rental Help

wtpfan

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are taking our first cruise on the Magic in March and flying into Fort Lauderdale the day before. We want to rent a car for the one day at FLL and return it the next day before the cruise. We are then going to rent another car when we get back from the cruise for a few days in the Keys and return it to FLL and fly home. Can someone help me with the location in Miami that is the easiest to accomplish this? Is it easier/quicker to return the first car and pick up the second car at the Miami airport and will we be able to take the rental car company's free shuttle to/from the Port each time? Do you know what rental companies have the shuttle to the Port? I read there are possibly other locations (other than Miami airport) that offer the shuttle to/from the Port but they take longer due to less staff. Please help...so confused and I don't want to make the wrong choice!

My recommendation is use an airport location ..... they are BIG and have the most flexibility.

Check but I'm pretty sure National/Enterprise/Alamo (same company) and Budget shuttle to the port .... there are probably others too ....

one warning: if you drive on highways around Miami very much (esp'ly the 'best route from the airport to the Keys) you WILL encounter toll roads that have NO cash lanes, the tolls are 'electronic payment only'. You are wise to factor in the company policy for electronic toll payment (and mistakes) when you choose.

See https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

note, with some companies, if you fail to signup for their program they can charge you $20 per toll in penalties - this is the rental company NOT FLORIDA. With some others, the signup is 'automatic' and reasonable ...... READ THE ENTIRE PAGE

Last edited:
We are then going to rent another car when we get back from the cruise for a few days in the Keys and return it to FLL and fly home.

Do your research on your rental company's toll fee if you're headed to the Keys unless you have a SunPass. All Turnpike toll booths south of FLL are cashless now and some car companies will absolutely rip you off on your toll fee and their attendant admin fees. If you want to avoid tolls you'll have to take US1 (you don't want to do that) or go out 41 to Krome Avenue (which I don't recommend either). From all my research, Silvercar seems to be the only one that doesn't have some kind of shady practice. They only charge the toll. Period. They have locations in Miami and FLL, and you get to drive an Audi A4. I've not used them yet, but the next time I want to fly in and drive to the Keys (not likely. I just fly straight in) I will be.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info Capt_BJ and phinz...
I have factored in the different rental costs along with their toll policy but now have more questions lol
If I get the "PlatePass all inclusive tolling" with Thrifty does anyone know if that covers the actual tolls as well? And would that cover tolls on all toll highways from Miami to Key West and back to FLL?
For my one-day rental before the cruise, we would be driving in and around Fort Lauderdale and then to drop off car downtown Miami . Would there be a lot of tolls or if I just take the I-95 to down town Miami to return the car (that is what Thrifty and Budget suggest) would there be no tolls? I checked google maps and they are saying I-95 has no tolls...?
I need to know everything in advance because I don't want any $$ surprises to run my day once I'm there.
Thanks!

The only tolls from Miami to Key West are on the turnpike. There's a toll calculator on the SunPass website that I can't get to from my phone. As soon as you use PlatePass once they start the admin fee. $4.95 a day regardless of whether you use the turnpike or not. So if you go to Key West for three days, you'll accrue $4.95 per day even if your car is parked in Key West and you aren't passing through toll booths. You'd do better to just drop the car off at the airport, catch a cab to Old Town and then go back to the airport to rent a car for the trip back when you leave. Or just fly out of EYW if that's feasible. There is little to no penalty for one way rentals from FLL or MIA to EYW, though. That's my experience. YMMV.

The only tolls from Miami to Key West are on the turnpike. There's a toll calculator on the SunPass website that I can't get to from my phone. As soon as you use PlatePass once they start the admin fee. $4.95 a day regardless of whether you use the turnpike or not. So if you go to Key West for three days, you'll accrue $4.95 per day even if your car is parked in Key West and you aren't passing through toll booths. You'd do better to just drop the car off at the airport, catch a cab to Old Town and then go back to the airport to rent a car for the trip back when you leave. Or just fly out of EYW if that's feasible. There is little to no penalty for one way rentals from FLL or MIA to EYW, though. That's my experience. YMMV.
Thanks for the additional info! We definitely want the car while in key west because we plan to check out the whole area and know we would enjoy the drive. Now to find the best rental price for before and after while factoring in the toll policies!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter