MGM to MK ?

Claudia Kellenberger

DIS Veteran
On Sat. Dec. 8th, I already planned to be at MGM for the day,
but that is the only day that I will be able to see SPECTRO.

What is the fastest way to go from MGM to MK, for the 9pm
SPECTRO, using Disney Transportation ? What time should I
leave MGM ?

Thanks So Much !

There is no direct transportation. You will have to change at the TTC. From MGM take the bus to the TTC (first bus stop on your left as you exit the park). At TTC transfer to the Resort monorail. It will take you non-stop to the MK entrance. Total time - 25 minutes, not counting any time you spend waiting for bus or monorail.

Keep in mind that people start staking out the best Spectro viewing site about an hour and a half before the parade. Have fun!

At the TTC, get on the MK monorail. It is non-stop to MK. The resorts monorail will stop at the Polynesian & Grand Floridian before reaching MK. :)

A better way to get to MK quickly from another park. Take the bus to the Contemporary Resort, and walk the 5 minute path to MK.

BUT Claudia!!- check the hours again! The only Spectro for Dec. 8th is at 6 PM!!

Thanks,Jody, I discovered the new
hours yesterday. It looks like much of
my schedule will be last minute decisions. I want to see Spectro, but it will be run only ONE time of my week's vacation. I've got only 14 days left to go !!

Claudia - I'm going to try to see the Dec. 8th parade too. Wear your lime green ribbon!

We're leaving also on the 8th and returning the 15th. This is the only day we can see Spectro. We should be in the parks by 1 pm, but I am concerned about the crowds at MK.

This is my first trip to WDW and my first time posting to the boards. I have been avidly monitoring since March and I know my trip is going to better as a result of the helpful information and tips. Is it best to just spend the day at MK? My original plan before finding out about Spectro was to spend the day at Epcot and save MK, since many "experts" have said the kids may not be as happy about the other parks after seeing MK.

Good luck :) We hit Spectro on November 10 @ 6pm (it was the only one we could make...we already had plans for Fantasmic on Nov 9, and the next one after that was Nov 17 the day we left). We started the day at MGM, went back to our resort (Boardwalk), then walked to Epcot for a while, then took the monorail over to TTC, then the monorail over to MK, where we arrived around 5:15 and got a primo viewing spot right on the train platform over Main St. Then we rushed out after it was done to make our 9pm Cirque show! It was a hectic day but it was sure worth it, I love Spectro and I couldn't bear the idea of being there for 10 days and not seeing it once!

Lisa, I'm sure others will disagree, but if this is your first trip to WDW and you have small kids, I'd make your first MK experience one where you can arrive first thing in the morning and soak in the magic - And I would NOT make that a Saturday. MK is a ZOO on Saturdays. And even if it means not seeing Spectro on this trip, I'd skip MK that day. If you try to arrive later in the day, the crowds will be horrendous and you will have to stand on the curb for over an hour to have a spot for the parade. I think you and your family can have a wonderful day at Epcot, skip Spectro this year, and arrive at the MK first thing Sunday morning and watch your kids' eyes light up when they see the castle for the first time. Just my two cents, and I LOVE Spectro, but there is PLENTY of magic without it I assure you!

Thanks for the advice. I am going to take it. I can just imagine how frustrating it would be for the kids to see so much around them that they want to explore and then we tell them that we just want them to sit on the curb for an hour so we can watch the parade. I really hate to miss it because my parents took pictures of this parade during their trip ('98, I think) and I have wanted to see it since.

Lisa,

How old are your kids? We went 2 years ago (2nd day of millenium celebration)and our kids were 2 & 4. Our first day we got to Epcot at 2 p.m. and did the ice cream social at The Garden Grill. We did some things at Epcot and then went to MK around 6 and did a few things until about 1-1/2 hours before Main Street Electrical Parade. (You may want to get there around 2 hours prior and look around a little). We got a good spot, then I went to get some hot dogs, fries, and drinks and had a picnic on the curb while we waited. It was kind of a pain being so crowded, but after it was over we were very happy we did it, since it was our only chance to see the nighttime parade. We got a couple of light up toys from the carts passing by for the kids and they had a good time. If you're really wanting to see the parade, I say go for it. Of course, you know your kids better and whether they'll handle the wait. Have fun.ºoº

The kids are 5 and 13. I spoke to my Mom about missing the parade and she said we absolutely must not! I am now leaning again towards going because, when it comes right down to it, I think this would be one of the highlights of our visit. Our flight arrives at 11:30 am and we will take Tiffany Town Car to Shades of Green. I figure with minimal delays we can be in a park by 2 pm. I think transportation times would make it impractical to go to another park first, so I figure we could go right to MK. I may hit the planning board for suggestions on what to do while we are waiting for the parade. We'll have several hours before we need to save our spot.

Me again Lisa -
Yes! If you can arrive at MK by 2, and you really want to see that parade, it will be doable. Between 2 and when you have to find a spot you will have time to wander and ride and soak in the magic. Try for a spot on the "inside" of the park - closer to Splash Mountain. It won't be "quite" as crowded. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter