Mexican Vanilla tastes like Coconut???

JJsmama

WDW addict
Dh bought me some vanilla in PV near the ship. It tastes a bit like coconut and smells a bit like suntan oil. Do you think this is the dangerous kind? It is brown and looks like real vanilla. I would just throw it out, but the problem is, it is delicious in baked goods!!! Is it normal for tropical vanilla to smell like coconut??

(To make matters worse, I live in a country which does not bake, so finding vanilla is a big deal to a baker like me!)

I think as long as the side of the bottle says "vanilla bean" and not "coumarin" or extract of the tonka bean I think you're good. I bought the exact same kind in the same place, but I haven't used it yet. I think the Mexican vanilla does smell different than the kind we buy in the US.

I have just remembered that Dh saw the vanilla in the port area, but actually bought it at the Walmart in PV. When i just told him about my concerns, he said that Walmart would not sell a dangerous brand. I said maybe mexican walmart had different standards. What do you think? I have lived in the land of fakes for so long that I have a very suspicious mind...

I have just remembered that Dh saw the vanilla in the port area, but actually bought it at the Walmart in PV. When i just told him about my concerns, he said that Walmart would not sell a dangerous brand. I said maybe mexican walmart had different standards. What do you think? I have lived in the land of fakes for so long that I have a very suspicious mind...

If you're that concerned about it, throw it out. No, the WalMarts in Mexico do not have different standards.

If it's what the locals buy, you should be okay.

Mexican vanilla is a little different from US vanilla.

I got mine in Cozumel and have used it several times. I just ran upstairs and opened mine and there is no coconut smell. the color is like dark caramel. I concur -when in doubt throw it out.

kate

I have always noticed that the vanilla we purchase in Mexico smells "coconutty". As a previous poster mentioned, look at the side of the bottle. If it lists vanilla bean as an ingredient, you should be fine.
We purchase LARGE bottles whenever in Mexico, and have had no adverse reactions.

A quick google search came up with a lot of people asking the same question as you. Probably OK to keep.

Similarly, I bought a LARGE bottle of V.extract from Sam's Club, and I swear it gave some cupcakes I made a coconut flavor. My DH also commented before that something tasted nutty when I baked it but I didn't add anything with nuts.

Sams/Walmart must distribute the same vanilla in the US and Mexico!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter