Mexican Riviera Yes or no?

We just came back from the MR cruise on 4/3 and we had a blast!! The Disney Wonder is a beautiful, well-maintained ship and the crew members are all very friendly. We did the snorkelling and 4x4 in Cabo and ziplining in PV. The snorkelling was bad but the 4x4 jeep adventure and ziplining was just absolutely fab!!! I had such a great time! And I thought I'd chicken out from the ziplining since I'm afraid of heights, but the fun of the adventure went above and beyond my fear. It was awesome!!! The guides were all very professional and funny. The 4x4 drive was exciting considering I've never driven one (even if hubby had it) and I want to do it again!

I guess it'll all depend on your comfort level. The drive to the zipline area may be agitating to some since we drove mostly on barren land. It didn't bother me. Plus, we go on vacation to relax and have fun, so if Mexico ain't going to give that, then you may have to look at other options. :)

I'm curious, do you avoid WDW because of the violence in Detroit, or Boston for that matter? :confused3

Mexico is a very big country and the violence is not as wide-spread as many of you seem to think.

Mike

I go to Disney every year. I avoid places where I don't feel safe. Every person is entitled to their opinions and feelings. I am happy that all the PP's had wonderful Mexican cruises. I realize that the port and tourist areas aren't the same as Mexico border towns full of gang violence, however it is the government I have a problem with.

The cruise lines are well aware of the corruption and drug cartel violence in Mexico. That's why DCL and other lines no longer stop in Mazatlan. Which wasn't our favorite port, so that's fine with us. Cabo and Puerto Vallarta are friendly and we didn't hesitate to get off the ship in January. Would we go near a border town? No way.

As for pan-handlers, it used to be a lot worse in Mexico than it is now. Jamaica has more, persistent pan-handlers than Mexico, or they did when we were there. Your results may vary.

The weather varies enough that you really can't predict exact temps from a year out. The ocean in January was chillish, but do-able. Much warmer in July, but by then it was scorching hot wandering around the port towns. We've frozen on a whale-watching boat off the coast of Maine in August, but were quite comfortable whale watching off Cabo in January.

We did the MR in late February, and as previous posters have said, it was cool on the day coming out of L.A. and back into L.A.--seas were rougher than I had experienced on our other cruise (out of Port Canaveral) as well. That being said, we had plenty to do on the first sea day without being in the pool, and by the 2nd sea day it was sunny and beautiful, and warm enough to lay out. And of course the weather was beautiful in Mexico--definitely swimsuit weather on the beach, but not blazing hot.

We did a Disney sponsored excursion that actually got us out of Puerto Vallarta and into some historic towns in a nearby area (which were very interesting but very poor places), and we still didn't feel unsafe at all. We did some beach time in both PV and Cabo, on our own, and I can't emphasize enough how normal and safe it felt. The tourist areas felt just like any tourist area in any beach place I've ever been.

We would take this cruise and have, DW and I did the Wonder Panama Canal cruise. We got off the ship at each port in Mexico, felt very safe, had a good time and not only would I recommend it, we would do it again.

I am going on the repositioning cruise on Sept. 20th and it stops in Ensenada. I had the same concerns, but after reading so many of the positive replies, I'm much more assured. However, the MR cruise doesn't stop in Ensenada. I'd like to hear if people had any problems with that port?

We have been going to Mexico (Cabo) for years now. Never before have we felt unsafe. We have gone in early January and the weather is great! (80's) and since it is before the Spring Break sets in, there are not the crowds that Cabo has in the springtime.

Cabo is at the very South of Baja. Cabo knows that their town is dependent on tourist $$. In other forums, there is detailed info on the ins and outs of Cabo San Lucas. It reads like pretty much any other city. Just because you are on vacation, don't do silly things like flash cash or other 'asking for it' actions. :)

Sure, the government is different, but it's all part of the fun.

However, if someone asked me if I wanted to take a vacation to Tiajuana, or Juarez, I am certain I would pass. :)

We went on the March 20 MR and absolutely loved it! We are also booked for the MR over Christmas on the Wonder as well. We never felt unsafe in either port. We did do only DCL excursions- I'd highly recommend that in Cabo in particular due to the port times. We did see a tender that came after our set departure time- and since the guests were wearing those DCL character stickers I could see they were a DCL excursion.

As for the weather... I live here in Southern California, and we do have winter. However, we had hot and sunny weather most of January! February and March were cooler. It's not predictable. I have left Port Canaveral in weather as cool as what we had leaving the Port of LA. I've also had sea days on the Western that were as cool as our sea day going toward Mexico. Both were in March. So ya never know.

However, we DON'T have hurricanes...:thumbsup2 or any humidity to speak of.

We have been to the MR before and really are not fans of Mexico, but we did book a MR cruise next year as a "try out" cruise for our son to see how he does. We're not planning to get off the ship at all. This cruise is a real convient way to get a cruise in without having to fly somewhere. And really it's a trial cruise before we book something out of Port Canaveral and have to deal with airlines, WDW and the cruise.

We did the MR 3/27 and had a great time. Never felt unsafe, and the people were very friendly and happy to see us (and our money). We enjoyed it so much, we rebooked on board for the same cruise next year.

We did do only DCL excursions- I'd highly recommend that in Cabo in particular due to the port times. We did see a tender that came after our set departure time- and since the guests were wearing those DCL character stickers I could see they were a DCL excursion.

Our whale watching excursion was scheduled to finish after the departure time printed in the Navigator. Not wanting to be late (since DH almost missed the ship in a previous port -- ahem), we double-checked at the port adventures desk and they told us that the "all aboard" was intentionally listed early because not everybuddy would fit on the last tender. DCL wanted the non-shore-excursion people back on board before the DCL shore excursions finished, so there would be room on the tenders for the scheduled shore-excursion people.

We just did the MR and never felt unsafe. We even wandered away from the bustle of the port area to find a post office, and we were fine. The ports are very busy and safe. The people are very friendly. Plus we had perfect weather.

The storms So Cal experienced in late March are NOT typical. Of course we have cold weather and storms but that storm system was the worst I can recall in years. You'll see that the cruise prices in Jan-March are cheaper than April through summer. Part of that is due to spring break and summer vacations but it's also due to the weather. If you book a cruise in winter, then you run the risk of cold or rainy weather.

IT was so much fun!! We stayed in the 2 deck rooom 2646 . The room was not very quiet . But overall it was so great . We going again , Next yr to Eastern Carabbean - Disney Fantasy.

That's so funny son. I wondered if you'd reply. What are you doing awake right now LOL! Even the caribbean option stops in Cozumel and Costa Maya though and that's Mexico though, so surely no better?

I just wanted to say that I thought his exchange was hilarious. Nothing like battling it out on the Dis Boards! :lmao:

I really fancy the Mexican Riviera cruise Easter 2012 with a few days at Disneyland at the end, but just spoke with DS who is a regular DCL cruiser and he said not to do this because Mexico is not a good place to visit right now, and he and his wife don't want to come!

Aw come on and join the Easter 2012 fun! We have 12 of us booked for the MR April 2012 cruise.:goodvibes

We enjoyed our stops at PV and Cabo on the January Panama cruise, I'd take those ports over Nassau anytime.

I just wanted to say that I thought his exchange was hilarious. Nothing like battling it out on the Dis Boards! :lmao:

Yes I thought it was hilarious too. He was supposed to be asleep when I posted darn it!

Aw come on and join the Easter 2012 fun! We have 12 of us booked for the MR April 2012 cruise.:goodvibes

We enjoyed our stops at PV and Cabo on the January Panama cruise, I'd take those ports over Nassau anytime.

Ohh that sounds fab. I'd love to but son is sticking to his word, so we are booking Eastern Itinerary on the Magic.

However, all the comments have reassured me, and so I know I'll take this trip at some point or perhaps have a vacation just staying in either PV or Cabo sometime in the future.

I really fancy the Mexican Riviera cruise Easter 2012 with a few days at Disneyland at the end, but just spoke with DS who is a regular DCL cruiser and he said not to do this because Mexico is not a good place to visit right now, and he and his wife don't want to come!
Now I have heard about stuff happening, but surely you just have to be a bit vigilant right like many places? I can't imagine Disney compromising the safety of thousands of guests taking them to dangerous places!
How does everyone here feel? Would you take this cruise, and presumably some folk are. Is anyone else worried or is my son worrying unnecessarily?

We just did it in February and it was fine. I was not, however, comfortable doing anything that would take us inland. The ports seem to be fine, and Disney did not go to one of the ports because it was deemed too dangerous...so Disney definately takes that into account.

But at the end of the day, I'm there for the boat anyway...so if you don't feel safe, just stay onboard and enjoy the empty ship!

DZ

Now I have heard about stuff happening, but surely you just have to be a bit vigilant right like many places? I can't imagine Disney compromising the safety of thousands of guests taking them to dangerous places!
How does everyone here feel? Would you take this cruise, and presumably some folk are. Is anyone else worried or is my son worrying unnecessarily?

We went to the Mexican Riviera (March 20-27). Our family had a GREAT time! 2 days in Cabo San Lucas (went to Medano Beach one day and did some shopping the next day). One day in Puerto Vallarta was enough. Our kids went swimming with the dolphins and enjoyed the rest of the day at the Water Park. We never felt at risk or scared. Our 11 yr old daughter and 8 yr old son really enjoyed, not only the cruise, but, the activities at the Ports of Call as well.

Just use your common sense and judgement, just as you would do in the States. Don't forget you are on vacation... have FUN!:banana:

We were also on the Mar 20 MR cruise, and did excursions in both PV and Cabo, and loved them and never felt unsafe. Weather on the sea days left something to be desired. I would like to go to those ports again, but without the cold, rough days on the journey out and back. I am wondering whether the fall months would be better on that point?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter