Mexican Riviera Cruise 03/27/2011

I haven't booked through Hotwire, I'm looking and do you not have a choice, you just pick the star rating?:confused3 What was the Westin categorized as 3.5 or 4? They have a 3.5 listed as $82 would that be worth the gamble? Any tips would be great!

Sparkling

Nevermind just booked, got it for $82!
Thank you!!!

Sorry, I didn't get back to post fast enough, you should be able to get a 3 star hotel for around $60 without using priceline or hotwire. If you use name your own price on Priceline, then you should be able to get a 4-5 star hotel for about that.

I have not stayed at the Westin, so I am not aware of how nice or poor of a hotel it is, we will occasionally do a wekend "away" locally and will use name your own price on priceline or hotwire, as long as you stick to 3 star or higher, you should have no problems.

If it is the Westin in downtown Long Beach, it is fairly close. You could even take public transit to get to the port very easily, most of which would be free from there. It does look like a nice hotel, we have just never got it through priceline or hotwire.

Also, if you book with Priceline or Hotwire, be sure to call the hotel as soon as possible to make any requests, such as non-smoking rooms, the sooner you make the requests, the better the chance you have of getting them honored.

Just a heads up: Parking at the Westin appears to be $16 per day according to reviews on Yelp!

For those that choose to stay downtown, there are a lot of good restaurants there as well:
On Pine, there are:
Another location of George's Greek cafe (they have three locations in total)
Cafe Seville (Spanish Food)

At shoreline village there is Yard House, Parker's Light House.

There are also several chains around here:
Skarky's (Mexican food)
Islands (Burgers and Fries)
California Pizza Kitchen (Italian)

The free passport runs by all of these places, in downtown parking can run you a small fortune, so i recommend hopping on the passport from the hotel. For information on the passport bus, see the following site: http://lbtransit.com/Services/Passport.aspx

If you want good entertainment, there is the Melodrama at shoreline village. They will be running Back From the Future. The person that owns it plays the mayor of Frontierland at Disneyland, so there is usually a strong disney influence. It may be cheesy humor, but it is a lot fun and always family friendly. I know I tried seeing if anyone wanted to do the red car in San Pedro the day before and there was no real interest there, so I will fly the idea of a group going for the Melodrama and see if anyone is interested, I think it would make a fun start to the week.

On Saturday there are shows at 4:30 and 7:30 P.M. The costs are:
ADULTS $20.00

SENIORS (62 & over)
STUDENTS (with ID) $18.00
MILITARY(Active)

CHILDREN $14.00
(12 & under)

Special for phone orders only...Children 12 & under PAY THEIR AGE!
You can also usually get discount tickets on http://www.Goldstar.com

After looking at multiple sites, I have realized that there is a total lack of information about the Port of Los Angeles on the web, so I am going to add a section to the website listed in my signature below with this information and much more, so feel free to check it out. I am going to add it to that site, so that other cruise dates have a chance at seeing it as well. I ill also try to get the information posted to our group's site as well. It may take a few days to get everything in place though.

Thank you so much!
All of the information is so helpful! I was going to pay a bit more for the hotel, but I found a site that said which hotels would probably book and they were all quite a bit of airline miles for me- so yay!:cool1:

I would love to meet up earlier with everyone, but as we will be driving I'm not sure If me and the lil one will need to recover, or what time we might get in. I have two little girls, only one is coming, and I have to wait until the grandparents get in here for the baby to leave:goodvibes

But I can't wait to meet everyone soon!
Sparkling

I haven't booked through Hotwire, I'm looking and do you not have a choice, you just pick the star rating?:confused3 What was the Westin categorized as 3.5 or 4? They have a 3.5 listed as $82 would that be worth the gamble? Any tips would be great!

Sparkling

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier... We didn't really know where to stay we had narrowed it down to three or four and decided to take the gamble on hotwire, as you don't really know where you might end up! We did however choose the highest star available, which was a 3.5. It was our first time using the site but had heard positive things about the site. I think we will be fine at the Westin though. :) We are planning on doing the aquarium and the whale watching tour on the Saturday.

Wade, thanks for all the Long Beach info, it really helps us out as we have never been. We will have a rental, so we will return it prior to turning in for the night and forego the parking charges. And THANK YOU for the note about calling re a non smoking room... dh would be most upset if we ended up in a smoking room! :mad:

Hey ManitobaMickey

Just letting you know I'm on board! Lookiing forward to being your neighbor for a week!

Hi Darkwater and welcome!!

I know getting through all our postings can take time so in a nutshell, here are a couple of helpful links (the site below was created by DisneyHonu).

http://sites.google.com/site/disneymexicanrivieracruise/home

On the Cruise Meet and FE List, you'll see the list of everyone we've met through the DISBoards. When you see the checkbox, it indicates the family who wishes to participate in the FE Exchange. Click here -> for the Cruise Meet List

We'd like to add you to the group list! You can post the names of everyone traveling in your party here, or send me a private message. On my "penguinaddict" account page, there is a link to my email if the private message doesn't work.

And there's still time to join the Fish Extender Change if you'd like! Just let us know your cabin # now or, if you don't want it published publicly, let me know and we can add it to the list the day of the cruise.

We'll be gathering for a DISBoard meet on the first date of the cruise and those details are at the link.

Welcome to our friendly, fun Wonderful Wonderers group!

-----------------------------------

Your official unofficial Wonderful Wonderers coordinators:

penguinaddict (Board Leader and name tag maker)
CalDisfans (FE Exchange coordinator)
DisneyHonu (Google site creator/coordinator)
cmwade77 (DISBoard Cruise Meet coordinator)
Everyone else (Wonderful Wonderers!)

Does anyone know how far the port parking is from the terminal and check-in? Or if there are luggage carts available there? I'm concerned how I will manage luggage and the little one:)

Parking depends on when you show up, the earlier you get there, the closer you can park, especially if you time it right with people leaving from the previous cruise. When I say close, I mean you can be as close as about 20-30 feet from the entrance to the port.

There are porters available, I know they are available when you leave, but I think they are also available upon arriving.

It is really a small port, there are technically two terminals, but as far as I am aware, the second terminal is rarely used and Disney will always be at the main terminal.

Parking depends on when you show up, the earlier you get there, the closer you can park, especially if you time it right with people leaving from the previous cruise. When I say close, I mean you can be as close as about 20-30 feet from the entrance to the port.

Perfect! Thank you!:)

Unofficially, yes!:yay:

Our local Disney outlet store had kids t-shirts for $3 - $4, so DH bought DD some new Mickey, Toy Story, Tinker Bell ones to replace her old ones that are nearly threadbare from use. They are sitting in a pile in the guest room - no doubt more stuff will be added to the pile this weekend.

Is anyone dressing up for pirate night? We don't have anything to wear, but I thought about going to Party City to see what they have that is cheap and easy to pack. Do most of the adults get into it too, or is it usually just the kids?

Happy Friday all! 5 weeks from tomorrow, we are on our way!:boat:

By us there is a character warehouse, past time we were there they had some nice pirate Mickey ears, I will try to go today and see if they still have them and how much they are. I will post prices and if anyone is interested we can work something out.

By us there is a character warehouse, past time we were there they had some nice pirate Mickey ears, I will try to go today and see if they still have them and how much they are. I will post prices and if anyone is interested we can work something out.

Is this in Long Beach? Is it open to the public? We will be there on the Saturday with a car rental and our 5 year old REALLY wants a princess dress but i dread the ship prices. Can you let me know the location etc?

By the way, my husband will most definitely be dressed for Pirate night!

It is in Fullerton and about a 15 minute drive from Disneyland. The easiest cross streets for the shopping venteer to look up are Harbor and Orangethorpe. PM me the size and princess and I will look while we are there, they do not always have them, but sometimes they do.

It is indeed open to the public and has some great prices. Some values are better than others, so be sure to watch that.

It Official. We are in. it is paid for.

Me (Susan) age (hmm, not quite a Sr yet) I live in Woodland CA (thats Nor Cal) my work is Computers and Telephony Services
DD (Monica) age (26), she lives in Fullerton, CA, her work, well she is a college student getting her masters in Vocal Performane and is a Cast member at Disneyland, if you have visited the charaters you probably have seen her.

We will be joining you, it is our 6th cruise with Disney, but first on the Wonder. We are very excited.

We will not know our cabin number until the day we set sail, but we do want to be part of the FE. So please add us in.

Yahoo, time to start making magnets...

Oh WOW MyloveforDisney! I'd sadly taken you off the FE list before when you let Penguinaddict know you wouldn't be able to go, but happy you guys got on! :yay::woohoo: So I will put you back on the FE list. It's fine to let me know at the meet your cabin #, as mny won't know until on the ship. See ya there!

Is anyone dressing up for pirate night? We don't have anything to wear, but I thought about going to Party City to see what they have that is cheap and easy to pack. Do most of the adults get into it too, or is it usually just the kids?

Here's a photo from Pirate Night on our last DCL cruise (Dec 2008):

DCL001.png

It was tons of fun to dress up! When DH went to Oceaneer's Club to pick up DS, all the kids called out "It's Captain Jack!" :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter