• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

mexican riveria port excursion related question

mrosen

Mouseketeer
We signed up today for our port excursions with Disney for the Mexican Riveria cruise. I wanted to ask about Cabo and see what advice anyone has here. We signed up for the whale watching with Disney but its only 2 hours and I can't seem to find a 2nd port excursion to book as everything I pick overlaps in time with what I already booked. We still have alot of hours in port and I wanted to understand what advice any one here has on what we could do on our own in Cabo once we finish the whale watching excursion. Any suggested things to see or do that would be safe for us to do on our own? We have 2 kids (10 and 12).

Sorry I don't have any info. to give you, but I saw that no one had responded to your post yet and wanted to suggest you check out some general cruise boards for info. on various port excursions. Since it's been awhile since Disney cruised the Mexican Riviera, you'll find much more recent info. on general port options other places, I've found.

Just wanted to let you know you weren't being ignored--I just think folks don't have a lot of info. yet since the MR cruises haven't begun and it's been a few years since the last ones on DCL.

You could go to "The Office" and have lunch. You can sit right on the beach and the kids can play in the ocean and you can relax with a Margarita!

You could go to "The Office" and have lunch. You can sit right on the beach and the kids can play in the ocean and you can relax with a Margarita!

How far is this restaurant from the tender drop off? Walkinng distance or cab ride?

Thanks

I have sailed the Mexican Riviera twice. The second time in Cabo, I didn't sign up for a shore excursion at all, instead, my family just did a glass bottom boat and walked around town a little after that. The glass bottom boat was awesome and one of my favorite "excursions". They take you all around the the bay and the end of Baja California. I am sure it depends a bit on who your pilot is, but I would do a glass bottom boat again in a heartbeat. Great pictures of the ship as well.

The first time in Cabo I did a city tour and then drinks/food at a hotel up on one of the cliffs. Honestly, I much preferred the glass bottom boat.

I have sailed the Mexican Riviera twice. The second time in Cabo, I didn't sign up for a shore excursion at all, instead, my family just did a glass bottom boat and walked around town a little after that. The glass bottom boat was awesome and one of my favorite "excursions". They take you all around the the bay and the end of Baja California. I am sure it depends a bit on who your pilot is, but I would do a glass bottom boat again in a heartbeat. Great pictures of the ship as well.

The first time in Cabo I did a city tour and then drinks/food at a hotel up on one of the cliffs. Honestly, I much preferred the glass bottom boat.

Do you know the name of the boat (what company)? How did you find it, just by walking around?

Also, do you remember any good restaurants you ate at?

I am also curious if anyone has snorkled in Cabo. I love snorkling but I've only done it off Cancun and I'm worried the water in the Pacific just isn't as clear.

That boat tour sounds very interesting. I would be interested in if you booked doing the glass bottom boat in advance or just went some place the day in port to do this. As the other post asked, what is the name of this place that does this and how far from the port? Is this something you can easily get to? Also, walking around town, is it easy to do this from the port where the cruise ships dock? I also assume water is clear so you can see alot of fish in the water with the boat tour?

Hi OP,

We've been pondering excursions for our MR cruise and I'm wondering what you picked for the other ports? For Cabo, we are sending our teenager on the surf excursion and contemplating the beach options.

I am going on the WBPC, and Cabo is one of our stops. Some of the people in our cruise meet are going outside of Disney and whale watching using this company: http://www.pezgato.com/ I am not joining them, but they seem to be happy with the service received so far. Some are going to a restaurant "Cabo Wabo" near the ship. It sounds like a bar and grill kind of place. Good luck planning!

Hi OP,

We've been pondering excursions for our MR cruise and I'm wondering what you picked for the other ports? For Cabo, we are sending our teenager on the surf excursion and contemplating the beach options.

We picked whale watching in cabo. As it is done in the morning, looking for something to do when we get back from that as there are still plenty of hours to see the sites in Cabo. I couldn't find a 2nd excursion with Disney too book that didn't conflict with the whale watching one. My youngest wanted to do the Pirate ship with snorkeling and treasure hunt but the times conflicted with the whale watching which I wanted to be sure we got to do.

In PV, we are doing a zip line adventure. We picked that one in PV vs doing the zip line one in Cabo as it says the heights are 90 feet on the PV version vs 200 feet in the air on the Cabo one which I thought might work better for a first time since we've not done this before. In Mazatlan, we are doing the mexican folklore excursion. We had to eliminate quite a few options in that port as our youngest is 10 and they have a # of these that you need to be 12 or older. We found that port the toughest to close on the excursion to book.

How far is this restaurant from the tender drop off? Walkinng distance or cab ride?

Thanks

We took a boat tour around Los Arcos first and then they dropped us off on the beach at the restaurant. On the way back we took a cab to Cabo Wabo and then walked to the tender from there. I think though that it is walkable to any of these points without cabbing it.

That boat tour sounds very interesting. I would be interested in if you booked doing the glass bottom boat in advance or just went some place the day in port to do this. As the other post asked, what is the name of this place that does this and how far from the port? Is this something you can easily get to? Also, walking around town, is it easy to do this from the port where the cruise ships dock? I also assume water is clear so you can see alot of fish in the water with the boat tour?

We did this also. There are many of these boats right at the pier. You just talk to a vendor and haggle a bit if you want. I think we paid 15-20 pesos and they took us all round the bay to the Pacific side and back. We saw lovers beach and the seals and he dropped us off at the beach right at the restaurant.

Yes, "The Office" and also "Mango Deck" are two places we enjoy eating. Both relaxed places, not too expensive and basically on or next to the sand. Cabo Wabo is a fun place to see, but probably not with kids. You can walk around downtown safely. It is very touristy. There is also a mall close in walking distance to the port. Don't know what stores are in it but it is pretty fancy. We love Cabo and have flown there to stay at a resort for a week. The people are very nice and I have not felt unsafe there like I have felt in the other ports.

Been to Cabo 5 times, the 6th coming in January. Here are my thoughts:

Whale watching is pretty good, but not after February.

Snorkeling is never good. There's just really not that much to see, and a lot of times there are jellyfish.
The water is not all that clear and on a glass-bottom boat, or snorkeling, about the only time you'll see fish is when the boat operator tosses food in the water. Don't expect ANY pretty colored fish.

A couple of times we've grabbed a taxi and had them take us to the Glass Blowing Factory. It's really interesting for kids and adults, and they have some good prices on the items they make. Bargain for a good price on the taxi before getting in. It shouldn't be more than $15 round trip and they will wait for you while you tour. Always open to the public.

The Office is not the place to take kids. You can just as easily take a taxi or water taxi (right at the pier) and park yourselves anywhere along Medano Beach.

It's an easy walk into town, where there are a lot of shops, and Cabo Wabo. If you get tired coming back, there are the guys with the bicycle taxi's....that's fun.

In PV, we are doing a zip line adventure. We picked that one in PV vs doing the zip line one in Cabo as it says the heights are 90 feet on the PV version vs 200 feet in the air on the Cabo one which I thought might work better for a first time since we've not done this before. In Mazatlan, we are doing the mexican folklore excursion. We had to eliminate quite a few options in that port as our youngest is 10 and they have a # of these that you need to be 12 or older. We found that port the toughest to close on the excursion to book.

We are also having the same issue in that DD11 will not be 12! She'll be just two weeks shy of 12, which makes it a little annoying, actually. We are also considering the zipline in PV and the Tequila and more tour in Mazatlan.

If you're going soon, I hope you'll report back! TIA!

Snorkeling is never good. There's just really not that much to see, and a lot of times there are jellyfish.

The water is not all that clear and on a glass-bottom boat, or snorkeling, about the only time you'll see fish is when the boat operator tosses food in the water. Don't expect ANY pretty colored fish.

That's what I was thinking. I've been snorkeling off Cancun and did a glass-bottom boat in the Bahamas. So I think I've been spoiled with the crystal clear water in those locations.

Thank you for your insight; it is very helpful!

That's what I was thinking. I've been snorkeling off Cancun and did a glass-bottom boat in the Bahamas. So I think I've been spoiled with the crystal clear water in those locations.

It took me at least four different trips' worth of trying to finally give up on it. :guilty: And there's nothing I like better than to snorkel. Oh well.

So what can you see in the glass bottom boat? Sounds like nothing in the water but you might get a scenic view of things on the landscape from a boat ride?

So what can you see in the glass bottom boat? Sounds like nothing in the water but you might get a scenic view of things on the landscape from a boat ride?

On the GBB I took in the Bahamas, we stopped at one point and fed the fish (bread, I think)? That was pretty cool as there were TONS and TONS of fish and they were all jumping on the surface to get the food.

They took us out into the ocean away from the shore so there was nothing to see really, except the horizon (which was very pretty). Maybe it's different in Cabo; maybe they stay close the shore. I can't say for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter