Metro New Orleans DISers - check in!!! - 09/2009

hey sorry i haven't posted in a while. still trying to get over the crud and running here and there. but I have been in a really good mood since right before my birthday and I am enjoying a great amount of peace too. preparing to go to Alexandria this weekend to present at a youth conference retreat...

hugs to all :) gonna read back later. G needs the computer for homework

Good to see you!:)

lori - I hear ya on the roaches. I have 3 of the plug ins in my house. And I keep 2 cans of Raid on opposite ends of the house - so I won't have to cross its path on the way to the Raid! I used to make Tony kill them, but now I have to be brave enough to get within spraying range. And I have designated a long pair of bbq tongs as the roach disposal tongs. So far there's only been one, but it took ALL of my courage. (Yeah, I had the tub incident when I was little, too.)

serena - glad kodi is doing well, good luck with the new job

shovan - so if i plant ivy along my chain link fence, do you promise it will grow and cover it? b/c i need something really disaster proof. i've got a black thumb, and i feel sorry for all those rose bushes tony and i planted last year. they will be relying on me this year and i just don't know that it's going to work out.

lorie - good luck to sienna with the testing and getting in. i'm sure she'll do fine wherever she goes b/c she has caring and involved parents.

lauri - hope your pup gets through surgury ok. and good luck with the computer issues. nothing drives me more crazy than computer issues.

julie - good to hear that you and rie are both doing better

kristina - glad to hear you've been able to keep in a good mood

I am still in a little bit of a funk. Tony showed up out of the blue yesterday to pick up some mail and didn't even acknowledge Louie. :sad2: I guess I shouldn't be surprised. My boss switched me from salary back to hourly, which is about a 3k/yr paycut. My brother is on the fast track to nowhere. And my cousin is maybe sober, maybe not and has some kind of tumor behind his eye that is causing seizures. (sob, sob, whine, whine, etc.) Gonna cheer myself up by watching the Saints kick some Viking and Colt behinds tonight. NFL game rewind FTW!

Sorry you're having a rough go of it:hug:. You know what else would cover is Confederate jasmine. My friends bought a 100 year old house. The previous owners installed a cyclone fence around the yard! Ada planted Confederate Jasmine, watered it like crazy with Miracle Gro and 2 years later, you couldn't see the fence. The 4 sides of her yard looked like a hedge wall you'd see in a landscaping magazine.

Julie – Sorry, no, we didn’t stay club level at BWV.

Lauri – I will keep you and your furbaby in my prayers, please keep us posted on what the vet says.

Lorie – Peewatch, too funny!!!!! It is a crying shame what is needed to get our kiddos into a decent public school, really makes me mad.

Thanks Kat!

Lorie, told my friend, who frequents your neighborhood party spot NOT, I repeat DO NOT pee in your driveway or yard. I didn't tell her which one was your house (hopefully to save all the houses in the area that are occupied) but told her you were there watching and ready to turn on the sprinklers. She looked pretty guilty though, like she knows of the sprinkler house... you are infamous :lmao:Sorry you have to go on peewatch.

It always cracks me up how insane people get for St. Patrick's day. I was practically raised by a first generation Irish woman (both great grandparents were born in Ireland) who did where green (wearing Orange today is an insult for those not in the know), made lamb stew and soda bread, the traditional meal and went to church. She does not approve of all the wild parties and green beer. She will tell you she has no idea where the corned beef and cabbage came from as that is an American thing. I like the corned beef and cabbage and hate lamb stew but I tell her as an American I can celebrate how I choose. We will wait until the weekend to make it because St. Patrick's day snuck up on me this year. I haven't even bought the children their leprechaun gifts yet (and they are expected... oops:rolleyes1)

As far as the subpoena goes, I don't think it is a threat per se as much as the lawyer supposedly is supposed to make sure I get one. Whatever. Like I said before, I wasn't there. She can try to school me all she wants (twice today... ugh) but I am not going to say any of that since I don't know the facts of the why and what. I only know about the who was involved. I am more upset that JP lost the case for so long and I don't have leave for this issue. Well, I do, I just didn't want to use it for THAT. I wanted to take a personal day to be by myself before the summer, when it will be KIDS KIDS KIDS all day and night. Not sure I will be able to now :sick:

Zipuzee: sorry about your dog needing eye surgery. and your computer.

Sorry you're going through this. Hopefully, it will be over soon.

My Aussie has a genetic eye disorder that basically wears down the cornea; she needs a cornea transplant to cover the area where the cornea is destroyed. Her right eye is much worse than the left, but the eye vet would like to do both eyes. We're looking at 1600 - 3000 dollars depending on if we do both eyes. She was diagnosed 6 years ago, so we've done good to go this long. The surgery probably won't be until mid-summer, depending on what my payment options are. I'll know more next month when we go back for a checkup.

:hug:

ALY:

BirthdayCake.gif

shovan - no, i won't be looking for another job, just sucks b/c the salary was my yearly raise - which was 6 months late anyway. the hourly rate is still more than before, but still hard to stomach.

julie - thanks for the suggestion of the jasmine. i googled it to see pics. just a friendly suggestion to you guys - don't google the word "ivy". :eek:

cara - you are a bigger person than i. i would be furious and probably want to testify against the daughter. all i can think about is "what if he been taken into custody" or "what if no one had called police and he stayed in that car for who knows how long".

no progress on any of the previously mentioned issues. i told my dad he needs to have my brother drug tested. if it's positive send him to rehab, and if it's negative get him into therapy. normal people don't break a hand punching a window and then a few months later punch a hole in their bedroom wall. :sad2: but the good news is that when i watched the super bowl last night, the saints won again ;) :cheer2:

Thank you guys for the birthday wishes; Aly had a great day. :thumbsup2 I took her an 2 of her friends this evening to see Alice in Wonderland 3D then to Cherry Berry. She also had a Laser Tag party this weekend with a large group of friends, so needless to say she had a GREAT 11TH birthday. I honestly can't believe that she's 11 already...time sure is passing too fast for me. :sad1:

Lorie - girl you crack me up with the pee watch. I'm sorry you have to jump through so many hoops to get Sienna into a good school.

Lauri - wow I'm sorry about your sweet baby...I too will be keeping her in my prayers. :hug:

Cara - so did you wear green today?? Aly was able to wear green accessories along with her uniform today but boy after school she was all decked out in green. :) So what are leprechan gifts??? Do tell. Also wth...that incident is just wow...I wouldn't go to court either if I didnt receive a subpeona. Yes thank goodness it was not in the summer.

:hug: to you Jaime. I hope your brother gets the help he needs.

Leprechaun gifts are little trinkets (think ring pops, a pack of Pokemon cards, or in my case jelly bracelets and later nail polish) that the leprechaun leaves when he breaks in the house to find and steal a hidden piece of gold (we use a gold ball off a mardi gras bead) He makes a "mess" of the room the gold is hidden in, usually the kitchen, opening drawers and turning over chairs and slightly disorganizing the pantry. (Keep in mind, I got to clean it up so I don't tear it up too bad) I usually put the gift under some upside down bowl or plate. The boys eat it up. Believe it or not, my great grandfather was from Belfast in Northern Ireland, and he started the tradition for our family in his corner store in Brooklyn with penny candy for the neighborhood kids and it kind of grown from there. I don't know of that many families who do that tradition, but there are some. Evidently it was something that his family used to do to make him feel not so bad about being a Catholic in his homeland. I did meet someone once who also does the tradition and she mentioned that her grandmother used to get candy from a messed up store in NYC so I wonder if it was his store, or a bunch of corner stores did it. Eventually, he moved and bought a larger chain store in Long Island and stopped doing it for the neighborhood kids and only for his family. My grandmothers thought on the matter was he did it to put the Irish in better light as they were heavily discriminated against as a people when they first arrived in America. He originally owned a granite quarry in North Carolina, but was extremely unwelcome so that is how he ended up in the grocery business. I am kinda sad about it, what I would do for granite countertops.. :laughing:

but the good news is that when i watched the super bowl last night, the saints won again ;) :cheer2:

Don't you love watching the game again and again? My husband and I were discussing tonight the fact that it's been several days since we watched the game so it's about time we watched it again.....hehe. And we were there in person but we just can't get enough of it!:cheer2:

no progress on any of the previously mentioned issues. i told my dad he needs to have my brother drug tested. if it's positive send him to rehab, and if it's negative get him into therapy. normal people don't break a hand punching a window and then a few months later punch a hole in their bedroom wall. :sad2:

Continued prayers that he gets help soon.:hug:

Morning y'all,

Terry, So happy that Aly had a great birthday!

Jaime, I hope things improve for you & your family!

Laurie, I'm sorry about pup's eyes! :hug: How old is she?

Lorie, I hope pee watch didn't have to go on too late!

Cara, I'm surprised you don't like the lamb stew, I LOVE Irish lamb stew! I was hoping to fix that for yesterday, but had a hard time finding any lamb. Finally found some at Langenstein's but it was sirloin chops & I wasn't stewing that.

TTGL I'm getting my hair done today! I am in desperate need! Wish me luck, I'm trying a new stylist to try & save some money. I've been spending way too much.

Then A's Mom & I have a meeting with A's teacher.

no progress on any of the previously mentioned issues. i told my dad he needs to have my brother drug tested. if it's positive send him to rehab, and if it's negative get him into therapy. normal people don't break a hand punching a window and then a few months later punch a hole in their bedroom wall.

:hug: I hope your dad listens to you.

Leprechaun gifts are little trinkets (think ring pops, a pack of Pokemon cards, or in my case jelly bracelets and later nail polish) that the leprechaun leaves when he breaks in the house to find and steal a hidden piece of gold (we use a gold ball off a mardi gras bead) He makes a "mess" of the room the gold is hidden in, usually the kitchen, opening drawers and turning over chairs and slightly disorganizing the pantry. (Keep in mind, I got to clean it up so I don't tear it up too bad) I usually put the gift under some upside down bowl or plate. The boys eat it up. Believe it or not, my great grandfather was from Belfast in Northern Ireland, and he started the tradition for our family in his corner store in Brooklyn with penny candy for the neighborhood kids and it kind of grown from there. I don't know of that many families who do that tradition, but there are some. Evidently it was something that his family used to do to make him feel not so bad about being a Catholic in his homeland. I did meet someone once who also does the tradition and she mentioned that her grandmother used to get candy from a messed up store in NYC so I wonder if it was his store, or a bunch of corner stores did it. Eventually, he moved and bought a larger chain store in Long Island and stopped doing it for the neighborhood kids and only for his family. My grandmothers thought on the matter was he did it to put the Irish in better light as they were heavily discriminated against as a people when they first arrived in America. He originally owned a granite quarry in North Carolina, but was extremely unwelcome so that is how he ended up in the grocery business. I am kinda sad about it, what I would do for granite countertops.. :laughing:

It's wonderful that you are carrying on your a family tradition!!!

Morning y'all,

TTGL I'm getting my hair done today! I am in desperate need! Wish me luck, I'm trying a new stylist to try & save some money. I've been spending way too much.

Then A's Mom & I have a meeting with A's teacher.

I hope you like your new stylist.

My housekeeper colors my hair for me. I just buy the color at Wal Mart. I pay her $30. She came up with the price and is happy with the extra money. My hair grows very fast. I have to color it every 10 days to hide the gray roots. It was costing over $200/month!

Julie, Every 10 days!!:eek: Oh my, I'd be broker than broke! I start to notice it at about 3 weeks, but I can force myself to wait until 5-6 weeks. I went 9 or 10 weeks this time, but did a touch up myself.

I'm back from getting my hair done. Jury is still out on the stylist. She didn't listen very well, it's shorter in the back than I wanted it. She kind of changed the color too & I asked for the same thing. BUT it's look pretty good, so I'll see.

:scared1: The last time I got my hair cut was in August! And the time before that was in February! :eek:

No....it was September 13th that I last got my hair cut. Guess it's about time....:rolleyes1

Sheryl – How did the meeting with A’s Teacher go? Sorry your stylist changed things up on you, I’ve been going to the same gal since I was 16 and I thank God for her!

Julie - $200 a month???? Wow, I’m thanking my lucky stars I don’t have gray to deal with, I can stretch my color out for about 2 ½ months.

I'm so ticked off at Sandra Bullocks's husband, what an ***....

Julie, Every 10 days!!:eek: Oh my, I'd be broker than broke! I start to notice it at about 3 weeks, but I can force myself to wait until 5-6 weeks. I went 9 or 10 weeks this time, but did a touch up myself.

I'm back from getting my hair done. Jury is still out on the stylist. She didn't listen very well, it's shorter in the back than I wanted it. She kind of changed the color too & I asked for the same thing. BUT it's look pretty good, so I'll see.

Give it a couple of days. I always hate my hair for the 1st day or two until it settles down a bit.

Sheryl – How did the meeting with A’s Teacher go? Sorry your stylist changed things up on you, I’ve been going to the same gal since I was 16 and I thank God for her!

Julie - $200 a month???? Wow, I’m thanking my lucky stars I don’t have gray to deal with, I can stretch my color out for about 2 ½ months.

I'm so ticked off at Sandra Bullocks's husband, what an ***....

Yes, $200/month:scared1:. At one time I let it get completely gray. When Rie got to 5th grade, she said I looked like her grandmother, so I started dyeing it again. Funny when I look at pics with my gray hair- Rie was 100% correct. OMG, I can't believe I ever did that. When I'm 90, instead of blue hair, you can bet the bank, I'm going to be the little old lady with dark brown hair. You know the ones you see that look like really old hookers?:rotfl:

You're right about Sandra Bullock's husband. I never could believe she married that loser. She moved out according to what I just read.

All I can say is thank goodness for haircolor. I've been using it since I was 28 years old. Usually I need it once a month, but I do use the touch up kit sometimes to stretch it to 6 weeks.

I agree about Sandra Bullock's husband. I watched the Barbara Walters interview and she said she waited until she was 40 years old to get married and she seemed so happy. I feel bad for her.

Morning everyone! Looks like our 1st weekend of Spring will really be spring-like. Wonder how long before we start griping about the heat?

I'm itching to get out in the yard to start tackling the neglected landscaping, especially after all the recent talk here! Of course, my body will probably regret it since the beds are due for some overhauling now that we've been in the house for nearly 10yrs.

Rie's mom - loved the suggestion for Confederate Jasmine on the fence! It's one of those plants that just sort of hangs out in the background, then POW, erupts into a gorgeous springtime bloom-fest! I also think it's a better vine than ivy because it's not as invasive, plus it has pretty flowers.:goodvibes

North Shore gang - what's the report on strawberries so far?? This week was the 1st time I saw ads for LA berries, so I'm hoping the crop is finally starting to come in. I'm craving fresh berries.

Craving crawfish too, but not at these prices! It needs to warm up just enough to wake up those mudbugs.

Lori - Did you finally make it to Casting? How did it go?

Lorie- Fingers crossed for all of you on S's evaluation. That seems like an awfully long time, but I'm not in psych or early childhood ed, so what do I know?:upsidedow

Mornin' y'all!

I'm not sure how Sienna's testing went- we'll get the results next week. The dr said she would test her 1 to 1 1/2 hours, and she was in there the whole time (1 1/2 hours). I hope that is a good sign!

Sienna haha of the day (not really haha, but kind of humorous): "Daddy has to go to work so he can buy me a chocolate cake for my birthday" (her birthday is tomorrow). If only life were that simple, huh? I would love just to work for cake- not the bills, mortgage, food, possible tuition, etc.

Peewatch wasn't bad at all- the crowds were MUCH better behaved this year! No one ventured into my driveway (at least, not that I know of....). But they did have more port-a-potties down at the bar this year, so that could be why.

I must have missed the confederate jasmine conversation- I LOVE confederate jasmine! The scent is heavenly :cloud9:. I have one growing on the side of my house. But beware, they can get invasive if you let it get out of control.....I have some growing in my gutters and attic, and no matter how much we hack it down, it still grows up there. :upsidedow At least it smells nice!

I have never colored my hair. I'm putting that off as long as humanly possible!

Monique- I'm craving strawberries too! I can't wait!:woohoo:

TGIF ladies.

I don't have anything planned for this weekend other than to rest a whole lot! ;)

I'm ready to buy some color for my yard too but I'm scared we will have another cold snap. I think I'll wait another 2 weeks.

Aly is counting down til the end of school...::rotfl2: I haven't even started to think about summer camps yet. I think it's almost time. :rolleyes1

Lori - I'm glad the testing went ok. Did Sienna say anything about the test? What are you doing for her big day?

Strawberries...yum!

Hey y'all,

Lorie, I'm glad the testing went smoothly! Seems like it didn't bother Sienna at all! :goodvibes

Kathy, You don't have to worry about gray??!!! Mmmmpppphh & grrr on that! No I'm not jealous at all!

I had to go look up what's going on with Sandra Bullock. I always thought that was an odd marriage, but I feel really bad for her. She should smack him in the head with her Oscar & then kick his butt out of her life. I sure hope she signed a really good pre-nupt.

We are going to redo the whole pool. Bob & I are literally making ourselves crazy trying to decide on decking, coping & tile! We've been up way too late everynight just scouring the net & the books. We're gonna go with a stamped concrete deck ( like our front driveway) but that's where the problem comes in, the choices are limitless! I want a french quarter look, either brick or slate. There are so many color choices in that, my mind is fried.

Once it's all done, I'll I have to get our resident garden specialist Lorie, to help me pick out the plants!

I found Amite strawberries at Rouse's this week! They were good!

Lorie - Glad to hear peewatch wasn't too bad.:laughing: I'm hoping Sienna's test results are good but even more so hoping she has a great birthday! What are the bday plans?????????

Sheryl - I know the planning for the pool work is time consuming and driving y'all nuts but it will be so nice when it's all done!! I really envy you, I'm still trying to get Johnny to work on Katrina repairs.:sad2:

Kyle is coming in for the weekend and he wants to go to Grand Isle restaurant tonight.:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter