Metro New Orleans DISers - check in!!! - 09/2009

hey sorry i haven't posted in a while. still trying to get over the crud and running here and there. but I have been in a really good mood since right before my birthday and I am enjoying a great amount of peace too. preparing to go to Alexandria this weekend to present at a youth conference retreat...

hugs to all :) gonna read back later. G needs the computer for homework

lori - I hear ya on the roaches. I have 3 of the plug ins in my house. And I keep 2 cans of Raid on opposite ends of the house - so I won't have to cross its path on the way to the Raid! I used to make Tony kill them, but now I have to be brave enough to get within spraying range. And I have designated a long pair of bbq tongs as the roach disposal tongs. So far there's only been one, but it took ALL of my courage. (Yeah, I had the tub incident when I was little, too.)

serena - glad kodi is doing well, good luck with the new job

shovan - so if i plant ivy along my chain link fence, do you promise it will grow and cover it? b/c i need something really disaster proof. i've got a black thumb, and i feel sorry for all those rose bushes tony and i planted last year. they will be relying on me this year and i just don't know that it's going to work out.

lorie - good luck to sienna with the testing and getting in. i'm sure she'll do fine wherever she goes b/c she has caring and involved parents.

lauri - hope your pup gets through surgury ok. and good luck with the computer issues. nothing drives me more crazy than computer issues.

julie - good to hear that you and rie are both doing better

kristina - glad to hear you've been able to keep in a good mood

I am still in a little bit of a funk. Tony showed up out of the blue yesterday to pick up some mail and didn't even acknowledge Louie. :sad2: I guess I shouldn't be surprised. My boss switched me from salary back to hourly, which is about a 3k/yr paycut. My brother is on the fast track to nowhere. And my cousin is maybe sober, maybe not and has some kind of tumor behind his eye that is causing seizures. (sob, sob, whine, whine, etc.) Gonna cheer myself up by watching the Saints kick some Viking and Colt behinds tonight. NFL game rewind FTW!

Just popping in to say hi! I haven't read back so I'm seriously behind; my computer at home died, so I'm very limited in time and access. It will probably be that way for a while. The money I was gonna use for a computer is now gonna go to eye surgery for my dog. I'll try to stay in the loop, but we'll have to see how well that works!! Hugs to all!

I'm sorry, I totally missed this. What's going on?

I am still in a little bit of a funk. Tony showed up out of the blue yesterday to pick up some mail and didn't even acknowledge Louie. :sad2: I guess I shouldn't be surprised. My boss switched me from salary back to hourly, which is about a 3k/yr paycut. My brother is on the fast track to nowhere. And my cousin is maybe sober, maybe not and has some kind of tumor behind his eye that is causing seizures. (sob, sob, whine, whine, etc.) Gonna cheer myself up by watching the Saints kick some Viking and Colt behinds tonight. NFL game rewind FTW!

Oh my, you sure do have a lot going on, I'm keeping you in my prayers.:hug:

hey sorry i haven't posted in a while. still trying to get over the crud and running here and there. but I have been in a really good mood since right before my birthday and I am enjoying a great amount of peace too. preparing to go to Alexandria this weekend to present at a youth conference retreat...

hugs to all :) gonna read back later. G needs the computer for homework

Glad to hear you're in good spirits, have a great weekend!:hug:

Hello. I am waiting in the Walmart line. I figure I have a good 10 to 15 minutes to post!

Lauri, sorry about your dog.

Kristina, glad you are feeling better about things.

Ok the lady that got in line behind me has probably 100 rolls of toilet paper in her buggy. She's got whole cases of it!

Jamie, sorry everything is coming up at once. Enjoy your football games!

I didn't have to deal with roaches until I lived in NYC. They are nasty but they don't really phase me much anymore. There were way more of them in NYC Han I have here, but they were smaller. We did have the huge ones at work. They are gross but I don't even own a can of raid at this point.

It's almost my turn to unload, so I'll ttyl!

Jamie, so good to hear from you. Sorry things are not going the best, but I sure hope it gets better fast. I never had the bathroom issue with the roaches... but my worst experiences were in high school. We lived in a woodframe house with woods on three sides. That equals a ton of roaches. I once woke up with one crawling on my face, which is why I know sleep with a pillow on top. Not so great for my oxygen levels, but worked so far for keeping the roaches off. Then I was washing dishes in jeans. I kept feeling something... and yep, a roach was crawling up my leg under my jeans. I don't think I have ever taken my clothes off faster. I am not sure who was more scared, me or the roach cause it left in a hurry.

I hate this time of year at work. As happy as I was to welcome Spring, I hate that the kids get Spring fever. Plus, the time change in losing an hour kills me for a good month. I do appreciate the warmer weather, wherever that ran off too, and the extra hours of PM daylight between the hours of 4:30-9:00 and weekends.. :laughing:

Hey y'all!

The gifted testing appointment is made (this Thursday :eek:) and I nearly fainted when they told me the cost ($625 :scared1:), but fortunately my wellness account is going to cover it. I am going to be a nervous mess until Thursday...they evaluate us for an hour (DH is not thrilled) and then Sienna for 2-3 hours. This seems very extreme- I hope it is worth it!

Erik is crying- BBL!

OMG, that is expensive! I ended up paying for Fletcher's privately, because the person who did the first one never passed one the second time around. She was a bit vindictive. I used the same group that ended up getting doing the schools a few months later, so if I had waited, I could have had it for free. :sick: But what I payed was much less than that...

The are not really going to evaluate you, per se. At least, it should be all about her, and only a few questions about you. You should be expected to answer what the highest level of education you completed. Other than that, activities Sienna participates in, when she potty trained, walked, crawled, her birth and complications. That kind of thing. I will say that what they are going to try to measure how she processes information as opposed to what she already knows. It is tricky with the little ones to get it right though.

I hear you on the nervous wreck part, been there, done that. Good luck to you guys and Sienna. Just tell her to do the best job she can and leave it at that.

Julie- Glad to hear you and Rie are doing better.

Lauri- Good luck with the puppy surgery- and the computer issues (I hate those too!)

Kristina- Glad to hear your sprits have been lifted. :flower3:

Jamie- My, you do have a lot on your plate. :hug: I hope everything works out.

What are these plug in roach thingies? I may have to look into that....

OMG, that is expensive! I ended up paying for Fletcher's privately, because the person who did the first one never passed one the second time around. She was a bit vindictive. I used the same group that ended up getting doing the schools a few months later, so if I had waited, I could have had it for free. :sick: But what I payed was much less than that...

The are not really going to evaluate you, per se. At least, it should be all about her, and only a few questions about you. You should be expected to answer what the highest level of education you completed. Other than that, activities Sienna participates in, when she potty trained, walked, crawled, her birth and complications. That kind of thing. I will say that what they are going to try to measure how she processes information as opposed to what she already knows. It is tricky with the little ones to get it right though.

I hear you on the nervous wreck part, been there, done that. Good luck to you guys and Sienna. Just tell her to do the best job she can and leave it at that.

I don't why this is so expensive and intense...maybe because it is a child psychologist? I have no idea...but the cost nearly knocked me out! Oh man, I don't like those questions because she did everything late! But, I had her examined by her ped for all of this lateness (walking, crawling, potty-training) and she said it was because Sienna chose not to do things until she wanted to...her stubborn and questioning personality rather than developmental problems. I hope that isn't held against her.

So there really isn't anything I should go over with her to prepare, is there? It sounds like it is more about innate intelligence.... oh boy... yep, I'm a nervous wreck!

Ack, does anybody know how far in advance of a courtdate, one should receive a subpoena? Here's the story....

After Katrina, I didn't have childcare right away, but had a job to go to. My friends daughter, who had a baby six months older than Spencer watched him for me and I paid her to do it (more than my regular babysitter too) A month went by with no problem until one day, I got called down to the office to receive a message that he was okay and the friend had him.

Turns out the daughter had been arrested for leaving both babies in the car on an 86 degree day with nothing more than a slight crack in the window. Spencer was a few weeks away from making his first birthday. The story of what exactly happened is ever changing even up to this week. Originally, she went into the store to make a return and it took longer than she anticipated, but now it is she went in to get a cart and came right back. This is what I do know for sure. He was left in a car on a warm if not hot day (it was Nov and I have a hard time calling the 80's hot) long enough that a complete stranger saw them, got concerned, called the police, they came and were at the car waiting to see who would come out while someone was trying to undo the locks to get them out. Originally, the State was going to take them into custody but my friend arrived first and managed to get them released to her instead (mainly because mine did not belong to the daughter, the daughter was not the usual sitter, and I was at work)

So, besides being extremely upset, we decided the daughter was punished enough by spending a few days in jail and figured we would leave the rest of the punishment up to the judicial system. Spencer wasn't seriously harmed, at least it wasn't July or August. Then I asked what happened with that and was told that her lawyer took care of it and she was off the hook. Not thrilled, but whatever. Turns out that couldn't be further from the truth. JP lost the case, found the case, and the daughter went in front of the judge a few weeks ago and I guess didn't plea guilty so the case is being heard on Monday in a trial.

My friend tells me that I have to be there and I was going to be getting a subpoena. First, other than identifying the second child as mine and telling the circumstances of why she had him, and even possibly if there was any long tem effects or damage, I don't see what else they would need me for. I wasn't there. I don't know how long he was in the car, what she did or where she was. The one who was there was a baby and doesn't remember a thing about it so he is no use to them either. Meanwhile, my friend (she is still a friend since she didn't do it, though the term is used somewhat loosely at this point) is still trying to school me in what happened. Ugh. I just shrug and nod so she goes away cause if I do anything else, she won't. Also, no subpoena either. I gave her my address like she asked for. And for me, if there in no subpoena then I am not going... though I am tempted to just to find out her punishment first hand, I do have work to go to. I will be ticked off if a subpoena arrives over the weekend though when I haven't planned to be out on Monday. or worse, I receive no subpoena, but was supposed to and am found in contempt. :scared1: This whole thing is a ball of stress.

Sorry to whine and vent...

Jamie, so good to hear from you. Sorry things are not going the best, but I sure hope it gets better fast. I never had the bathroom issue with the roaches... but my worst experiences were in high school. We lived in a woodframe house with woods on three sides. That equals a ton of roaches. I once woke up with one crawling on my face, which is why I know sleep with a pillow on top. Not so great for my oxygen levels, but worked so far for keeping the roaches off. Then I was washing dishes in jeans. I kept feeling something... and yep, a roach was crawling up my leg under my jeans. I don't think I have ever taken my clothes off faster. I am not sure who was more scared, me or the roach cause it left in a hurry.
.. :laughing:
wow- no wonder you shared with me the roach issues here. That is why I am so phobic of them- they are sneaky and you are almost always suprised by how they get in those spots.
I ahve been barely sleeping, with my covers over my mouth. I am a mouth breather and I am trying to train myself to nose breathe.:eek: Yeah, I am crazy, but THIS is why. I am freaking paranoid.
Truly, if it is as bad as I am envisioning, we'll be back in 2 years. I will NOT live with roaches. That is worse than living in the north and being snowed in for months to me.
I LOVE this house though- so i am praying it isn't as bad with all the prevention we are doing.
I may pass out and die if either of those things happen to me.
I have thanked the good Lord that there is a screen over the pool. I am also going to patch the few holes there are in it. There is one on the roof of it that we cannot get too- so i may actually see how much it is for someone to do that.
I am going to borax the woods once a month!

Lori

Good luck Lorie- if it is meant to be , it'll all work our beautifully!

Ok, so I read Paul my promise and he said to make sure you all know his murder of the Birds of Paradise(Bird of Paradises?) was a crime of passion..................or manipulation!:goodvibes He needs a happy wife, whose happiness depends on as much a roachless existence as possible. So a bugman in place, less roach loving palmy type mostly dead Birds of Paradise, all foliage and bushes cut back from the house, and those plug in thingys all about the house- should just about be everything we can do in our power to live a hopeful roachless existence IN my house.

I am feeling better and on my way to Disney casting in a few. Finally.

Lori
What plug in thingys? I NEED to know! I'm a total roachaphobic! All I use is the Combat large roach trays.

Cara - What an odd, strange case. Thank God it wasn't July or August.:hug:

Lori - I'm praying the roach situation isn't nearly as bad as you're fearing my friend.:hug:

Ack, does anybody know how far in advance of a courtdate, one should receive a subpoena? Here's the story....

After Katrina, I didn't have childcare right away, but had a job to go to. My friends daughter, who had a baby six months older than Spencer watched him for me and I paid her to do it (more than my regular babysitter too) A month went by with no problem until one day, I got called down to the office to receive a message that he was okay and the friend had him.

Turns out the daughter had been arrested for leaving both babies in the car on an 86 degree day with nothing more than a slight crack in the window. Spencer was a few weeks away from making his first birthday. The story of what exactly happened is ever changing even up to this week. Originally, she went into the store to make a return and it took longer than she anticipated, but now it is she went in to get a cart and came right back. This is what I do know for sure. He was left in a car on a warm if not hot day (it was Nov and I have a hard time calling the 80's hot) long enough that a complete stranger saw them, got concerned, called the police, they came and were at the car waiting to see who would come out while someone was trying to undo the locks to get them out. Originally, the State was going to take them into custody but my friend arrived first and managed to get them released to her instead (mainly because mine did not belong to the daughter, the daughter was not the usual sitter, and I was at work)

So, besides being extremely upset, we decided the daughter was punished enough by spending a few days in jail and figured we would leave the rest of the punishment up to the judicial system. Spencer wasn't seriously harmed, at least it wasn't July or August. Then I asked what happened with that and was told that her lawyer took care of it and she was off the hook. Not thrilled, but whatever. Turns out that couldn't be further from the truth. JP lost the case, found the case, and the daughter went in front of the judge a few weeks ago and I guess didn't plea guilty so the case is being heard on Monday in a trial.

My friend tells me that I have to be there and I was going to be getting a subpoena. First, other than identifying the second child as mine and telling the circumstances of why she had him, and even possibly if there was any long tem effects or damage, I don't see what else they would need me for. I wasn't there. I don't know how long he was in the car, what she did or where she was. The one who was there was a baby and doesn't remember a thing about it so he is no use to them either. Meanwhile, my friend (she is still a friend since she didn't do it, though the term is used somewhat loosely at this point) is still trying to school me in what happened. Ugh. I just shrug and nod so she goes away cause if I do anything else, she won't. Also, no subpoena either. I gave her my address like she asked for. And for me, if there in no subpoena then I am not going... though I am tempted to just to find out her punishment first hand, I do have work to go to. I will be ticked off if a subpoena arrives over the weekend though when I haven't planned to be out on Monday. or worse, I receive no subpoena, but was supposed to and am found in contempt. :scared1: This whole thing is a ball of stress.

Sorry to whine and vent...

You can't be found in contempt of you don't receive a subpoena. It could be that your "friend" is trying to scare you into being in court to back up her daughter's story. However, since you weren't there, your testimony would be considered hearsay. You can bet your bottom dollar that the opposing attorney would ask how you got the facts when you were not present.

Kat, did y'all stay club level at the Boardwalk? The reason I'm asking is because we're not 100% sure we'll be able to go on our trip in April. I'm probably going to have to cancel my DVC reservation so we don't lose points and book a cash reservation. That would give me until 5 days before the trip to cancel if I have to do that. The garden suite is available and it's club level. What makes me crazy is that club level is so different from resort to resort. It sucked at the Yacht Club but was nice at the GF. While we don't like the Poly, their club level offerings are fantastic. I wish there was more consistency.

I had this very long post & lost it.. grrrr..

Lorie, That's a lot of money & sounds pretty intense! I'm really surprised it's that expensive & will take that long. Prayers that it goes well & that it's worth while. :hug::flower3: It makes me mad that you have to go through all of this, to get your child into a decent school! It shouldn't be that hard!!!

Jamie, So sorry you are having a rough time!:hug: That pay cut really stinks! Are you thinking of looking elsewhere for another job?

Kristina, You sound so good & that makes me happy!!! :goodvibes:hug: Drive safely & good luck with the presentation!

Cara, Hopefully you won't get a supoena & you get put this behind you!

I still need to go back and catch up; I'll get there, I promise!

Kristina - glad you are feeling good! Have fun at your retreat.

Jamie - Hugs, girl, you sure need them. Ivy is pretty hardy, you should do okay with it.

Lorie - We had DS tested in kindergarten (that was 20 yrs ago!). I remember it was very expensive, but since we were also testing for ADHD, the insurance covered part of it. I hope it all works out; it seems to be a lot to go thru just to get into school.

I'm sorry, I totally missed this. What's going on?

My Aussie has a genetic eye disorder that basically wears down the cornea; she needs a cornea transplant to cover the area where the cornea is destroyed. Her right eye is much worse than the left, but the eye vet would like to do both eyes. We're looking at 1600 - 3000 dollars depending on if we do both eyes. She was diagnosed 6 years ago, so we've done good to go this long. The surgery probably won't be until mid-summer, depending on what my payment options are. I'll know more next month when we go back for a checkup.

Hey y'all! I should be exercising, but I'm feeling lazy- bad me! :surfweb:

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY! :shamrock:

Things are already pretty lively at the bar down the street, but I'm sure it will get wild later on! Peewatch will be beginning soon enough I'm sure!

Cara- Wow, I hope you don't have to get involved in that case. I hope Julie is right in that they are just trying to scare you and you don't get subpoenaed at all!

Lorie, That's a lot of money & sounds pretty intense! I'm really surprised it's that expensive & will take that long. Prayers that it goes well & that it's worth while. :hug::flower3: It makes me mad that you have to go through all of this, to get your child into a decent school! It shouldn't be that hard!!!
It is way more than I bargained for! And yes, it is utterly ridiculous that I have to go through this just to get her in a decent public school! I'm only doing the testing because we've had no luck going through the "normal" route (the lottery), so I'm getting kind of desperate! I hope things go well...if they don't, well onto the next step (not sure what that is though!).

Julie – Sorry, no, we didn’t stay club level at BWV.

Lauri – I will keep you and your furbaby in my prayers, please keep us posted on what the vet says.

Lorie – Peewatch, too funny!!!!! It is a crying shame what is needed to get our kiddos into a decent public school, really makes me mad.

Lorie, told my friend, who frequents your neighborhood party spot NOT, I repeat DO NOT pee in your driveway or yard. I didn't tell her which one was your house (hopefully to save all the houses in the area that are occupied) but told her you were there watching and ready to turn on the sprinklers. She looked pretty guilty though, like she knows of the sprinkler house... you are infamous :lmao:Sorry you have to go on peewatch.

It always cracks me up how insane people get for St. Patrick's day. I was practically raised by a first generation Irish woman (both great grandparents were born in Ireland) who did where green (wearing Orange today is an insult for those not in the know), made lamb stew and soda bread, the traditional meal and went to church. She does not approve of all the wild parties and green beer. She will tell you she has no idea where the corned beef and cabbage came from as that is an American thing. I like the corned beef and cabbage and hate lamb stew but I tell her as an American I can celebrate how I choose. We will wait until the weekend to make it because St. Patrick's day snuck up on me this year. I haven't even bought the children their leprechaun gifts yet (and they are expected... oops:rolleyes1)

As far as the subpoena goes, I don't think it is a threat per se as much as the lawyer supposedly is supposed to make sure I get one. Whatever. Like I said before, I wasn't there. She can try to school me all she wants (twice today... ugh) but I am not going to say any of that since I don't know the facts of the why and what. I only know about the who was involved. I am more upset that JP lost the case for so long and I don't have leave for this issue. Well, I do, I just didn't want to use it for THAT. I wanted to take a personal day to be by myself before the summer, when it will be KIDS KIDS KIDS all day and night. Not sure I will be able to now :sick:

Zipuzee: sorry about your dog needing eye surgery. and your computer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter