Metro New Orleans DISers - check in!!! - 03/2010

Morning!

EPCOT was fun yesterday but boy is it different not being on vacation. They wanted to do everything and when you get there at 4:30 pm we all know that is impossible- so I had them pick 2 things to do each and we'd alternate, hoping to get all 4 done. Ash picked Mission Space and Test Track, Haley picked Soarin and Spaceship Earth. If the major rides hadn't stayed open an extra 2 hours, we'd never have done them all. Soarin had a 50 minute wait but it turned out to be more like 40. I hated to bring the reality up that we had to get home to get in bed at a decent time or that we had to do school the next day, but I had to, b/c they kept pressing to do more and I wanted to get out of the park before the fireworks started and the crowds headed out. I am going to have to make sure that every so often we go have an unresrtriced Disney day.

Ashton is having wierd eye issues and I have yet to establish docs b/c i avoid them- I guess it is PTSD and the fact that her whole darn history will have to be resurfaced with each doc we go to- NOT looking forward to it!

Lori

Lori, I guess I never thought about that. You are used to being on vacation and not having a time limit. I'd say you definitely need to plan an unrestricted day.:thumbsup2

This is how I know my trip is getting close--last night I had a nightmare that we were on the plane and I forgot my camera. Good thing it was only a dream:eek:

Mary- that'll be the first thing you pack!!

I made an appt for Thursday for her with an opthamologist- I suppose afterward we'll hit a park since the office is in that area!:cutie:

Anyway- I am keeping up and thinking of you all often!!

If you are down here on vacation and need anything, please don't hesitate to give us a ring, (even if it is for help or a grocery run or just for fun)

Lori

Morning!

EPCOT was fun yesterday but boy is it different not being on vacation. They wanted to do everything and when you get there at 4:30 pm we all know that is impossible- so I had them pick 2 things to do each and we'd alternate, hoping to get all 4 done. Ash picked Mission Space and Test Track, Haley picked Soarin and Spaceship Earth. If the major rides hadn't stayed open an extra 2 hours, we'd never have done them all. Soarin had a 50 minute wait but it turned out to be more like 40. I hated to bring the reality up that we had to get home to get in bed at a decent time or that we had to do school the next day, but I had to, b/c they kept pressing to do more and I wanted to get out of the park before the fireworks started and the crowds headed out. I am going to have to make sure that every so often we go have an unresrtriced Disney day.

Ashton is having wierd eye issues and I have yet to establish docs b/c i avoid them- I guess it is PTSD and the fact that her whole darn history will have to be resurfaced with each doc we go to- NOT looking forward to it!

Lori

How fun! They'll get used to a different touring plan.

Lori, I guess I never thought about that. You are used to being on vacation and not having a time limit. I'd say you definitely need to plan an unrestricted day.:thumbsup2

This is how I know my trip is getting close--last night I had a nightmare that we were on the plane and I forgot my camera. Good thing it was only a dream:eek:

I left my camera home before:headache:I had to buy one of the disposables. The pictures would have been so cute but they were grainy. I guess because of the disposable.

Mary- that'll be the first thing you pack!!

I made an appt for Thursday for her with an opthamologist- I suppose afterward we'll hit a park since the office is in that area!:cutie:

Anyway- I am keeping up and thinking of you all often!!

If you are down here on vacation and need anything, please don't hesitate to give us a ring, (even if it is for help or a grocery run or just for fun)

Lori

Good luck with the doctor! Ashton's in my prayers.

I cancelled our first trip. We received an email this morning saying that Marie's team is meeting on Thursday to figure out what day she'll finish!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I always dream that I forgot my AP. And my RADP button. :-)

Hey y'all,

Mary, Yes packing dreams/nightmares do mean you're getting close to vacation!:goodvibes

Lori, Glad that y'all had a fun time! I'll bet it did feel very different knowing you had to get them home & to bed. But just think how often you'll be able to have designated days! Also glad that you were able to get past PTSD & make that appt for Ash. :hug: I'm sure establishing a relationship with new doctors for her, is going to be difficult!:hug::hug:

Pool work still going on here. It doesn't look like there has been much happening but they've been working steadily on all the prep.

I really wanted to stay for fireworks, but last time, when we were at MK, it took so longto get home- so i will do that when we plan on skipping school the next day, or starting really late.

Thanks, I hated to make an appt, but she's been complaining of her eye twitching, her tearduct is bigger her and it takes forever for that 1 eye tostop having that haze after swimming without goggles- she sees rainbows for hours after. All through EPCOT she was saying how pretty the lights were b/c of the rainbows. Making me a wreck! She's going Thursday to an opthamoligist by Universal- he deasl with kids and Arnold Palmer Childrens here.

I out out an inquiry on the Disneyschoolers group about what was the best kids hospital etc- just need to know for the kids. Not that I really wanted to know.

Lori

hey guys...reading and keeping up, just entrenched in this party nonsense. it will be over after saturday. p.s. i hate streamers.

Jenny, I agree with everyone else about the scores. My brother scored below avg. on the ACT. He owns several insurance companies today and is super smart. Our son, Phil, didn't do well on those types of tests and that little entrepreneur will own the country one day. Teachers know their students and realize the tests are ridiculous. Most of the ones that I know HATE the tests.
I'm praying the Feds get rid of the stupid tests in grade school, middle school, and high school too.

Personally, I don't hate the tests. In NYC, they gave "predictive assessments" for the state tests that actually broke down each students' scores by topic, matching it to the state standard that correlated to the question. From this, the teachers could use that data to see what needed to be taught more in depth. Sometimes, you think your kids "get it" and then realize they are lacking.

What I DO hate about the tests is that they put WAY too much weight on them. They are the end all, be all. Some kids don't test well, some guess well but really don't understand, some kids are having a bad day, etc...There are just too many variables that go into a single test given a few days in the spring to base things like school funding, student promotion, teacher salaries, etc. on.

They do have some merit, they are based on the standards/GLEs and so that helps to guide what to teach the children in each grade level. This is a good thing; having a statewide scope and sequence means that you know what to teach, and teachers know what concepts (should have been:rolleyes1) taught/mastered in prior school years.

I do agree it's overkill, even as useful as the data can be. In NYC, those predictive assessments were about every 6 weeks up until the state test in spring, and there was even one AFTER the state test that started to test the following grade's material! :faint: It can get to where you feel like you have no time to teach in between assessments!

Morning!

Lori

Wow...I hope you can figure out what is the problem and get it fixed!

I noticed that kind of thing happening when I lived in NYC. Tourist things are very different when you have to go home and write lesson plans/do laundry/wash dishes/etc afterward. At least you have a pretty flexible schedule so you can bend it when necessary!

Lori

A coffee pot! :lmao:

I cancelled our first trip. We received an email this morning saying that Marie's team is meeting on Thursday to figure out what day she'll finish!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

:woohoo:

hey guys...reading and keeping up, just entrenched in this party nonsense. it will be over after saturday. p.s. i hate streamers.

:dance3::cheer2: Party!! :headache: :rotfl: Have fun!

Hey y'all just popping in to say I may not be around much this week, darned auditor showed up today. He's a really sweet old guy but he runs me ragged!

Ohhh! Auditors. They are an interesting breed.:goodvibes

Bethany- you got it(if I can find it- it's packed in stuff for a garage sale, but that was before i knew of your love of coffee!)

Lori

Lori, I was thinking about you all day yesterday. It IS different when real life and your real bed is there to greet you at the end of the day. Unrestricted days are great. Try to do as many of those as possible.

Arnold Palmer is the hospital where my sisters cancer was treated. It is a fantastic one.

I KNOW that this is hard to do, but DO NOT panic over Ashton's eyes. Get her to the doctor for your own peace of mind. It is probably something simple to fix. I used to have the same exact thing happen to me. Turned out I was getting swollen tear ducts due to an allergy to what else... chlorine. but pollen and the like could do it too. Try having her take a warm bath and wipe her eyes gently with warm water on a rough cloth in case it is a blocked tear duct. I didn't feel dry eyed... but had a hard time seeing clearly for a while after swimming. Didn't keep me out the pool though... still doesn't.

Okay, came by to do a fly by to know that happenings before I went to sleep.. but these caught my eye. I will catch up with everyone else tomorrow. Night all.

Happy Hump Day friends. I'm dropping by quickly...didn't read back but I hope everyone is well.

Well my workouts and eating habits have helped me lose 5 lbs so far...I'm excited. :yay: I told you guys I refused to go up another size. ;)

Happy Hump Day friends. I'm dropping by quickly...didn't read back but I hope everyone is well.

Well my workouts and eating habits have helped me lose 5 lbs so far...I'm excited. :yay: I told you guys I refused to go up another size. ;)

yay, for you !! I need to get on the ball, since I started B.C pills and these crazy cysts, I have gained about 20 YUCK!

Keep at it girlie!!!

Lori, I was thinking about you all day yesterday. It IS different when real life and your real bed is there to greet you at the end of the day. Unrestricted days are great. Try to do as many of those as possible.

Arnold Palmer is the hospital where my sisters cancer was treated. It is a fantastic one.

I KNOW that this is hard to do, but DO NOT panic over Ashton's eyes. Get her to the doctor for your own peace of mind. It is probably something simple to fix. I used to have the same exact thing happen to me. Turned out I was getting swollen tear ducts due to an allergy to what else... chlorine. but pollen and the like could do it too. Try having her take a warm bath and wipe her eyes gently with warm water on a rough cloth in case it is a blocked tear duct. I didn't feel dry eyed... but had a hard time seeing clearly for a while after swimming. Didn't keep me out the pool though... still doesn't.

Okay, came by to do a fly by to know that happenings before I went to sleep.. but these caught my eye. I will catch up with everyone else tomorrow. Night all.

Thanks Cara- once again! I was more having issues with MAKING the apointments- I mean, the eye thing has me a little worried, but it is gone so along with it goes the worry. If there is pressure behind the eye that doesn't go away with tylenol or something- then I will freak. CNS relapse happens like that. I know we are way far out of the woods, but I guess you hear about some getting cancer in a different place or relapsing further out. So I guess those little things that she complains about (which is rare) are just the last few trees in my way! I used to curse leukemia for the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier- if BLOOD can't than how can those little bas----ds. Thankfully, hers never did- due to many many many spinal taps with chemo infused in there.

What she complained about sounds JUST like what you are saying- and she has lots of alergies, even if the allergen tests says she doesn't- it is wrong!

:cool1::dance3::cool1:

Lori

Hey y'all,

Terry, :thumbsup2:banana: That's great!!

Kat, Sorry about the auditor. :upsidedow

Jamie, Good luck getting through this week!

Lori, The change in enviroment is likely setting off her allergies! Try not to worry until she sees the dr. hugs & prayers, my friend. :hug::flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter