Metal Detectors @ the Statue of Liberty and ESB UPDATE 2: We're back! And no problems

Barb D

DIS Veteran
The Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building have metal detectors. Is there a system in place to bypass them? Are they prepared to hand-pat or hand-scan?

I can't go through metal detectors. They could mess with my implanted medical device. I get hand patted at the airport with no problem. Even if I were to turn myself off and take my chances going through the detector, my body is chock-full of electrodes, wires, and a battery.

ETA: I'm good to go with both.

What police force is in charge of security at both places? Maybe you could contact them and ask about alternate arrangements for folks with implanted electronics? And besides, you don't want to bypass security you're requesting alternate arrangements, there should be something in place for folks in your situation.

I think even TSA agents will give you a pat-down in lieu of metal detectors if you request it (for medical reasons).

agnes!

I am not sure but here is the link on the website about the security procedures, and how to email them with questions.

http://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/things2know.htm

I would expect them to be able to accomodate you!

We went to Ellis Island last week-it is the same ferry system as the Statue of Liberty. The screening was like an airport screening-DH had to remove his belt, we had to take off jackets with zippers, etc. If you have time I recommend Ellis Island!

Enjoy your visit!

I actually have e-mails off to both of them, but haven't heard back yet. I was hoping someone might have personal experience! :goodvibes

I think even TSA agents will give you a pat-down in lieu of metal detectors if you request it (for medical reasons).

agnes!

I have no problem at the airport. They pat me and test my hands for bomb residue (or something) and I'm good to go.

Could you post your query over on the DIS-Abilities forum? Maybe someone over there would know.

agnes!

Yay! Didn't see the update, have a GREAT time ::yes::.

agnes!
PS - Maybe the agent scanning you will be young & handsome...*BONUS* :thumbsup2 !

I decided to call, spent a long time on hold with the Statue of Liberty, and got answers from both: Yes, I can be hand-scanned.

Manhattan here we come! We're celebrating my SIL's 30th birthday with a big family gathering. World of Disney on 5th is a high priority. :earsboy:

Yay! Didn't see the update, have a GREAT time ::yes::.

agnes!
PS - Maybe the agent scanning you will be young & handsome...*BONUS* :thumbsup2 !

Ah, but they always give you a same-gender person for the pat, at least at the airport. And DH (very handsome, but not so young) will be with me!

We're back, and we had an awesome time!

I got hand scanned at the Empire Statue Building, and hand patted (twice) at the Statue of Liberty. It only took a few extra minutes each time. They were very efficient and helpful.

There are two metal detectors at the Statue, one before you get on the ferry and another before you can go into the Statue. (Where are you supposed to come up with weapons in between?) There was also an air-puff thing at the Statue to test for bomb residue. This made the line take forever, because each person had to stand in the machine while it puffed you (hard enough to make DD9's long hair fly up!) and then analyze it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter