Met with DVC last week....

lyndeah

Mouseketeer
And we definitely think we want to move forward! DH has his heart set on the POLY, he really likes the resort and for some reason just wasn't sold on VGF. I think if BLT was available he would have jumped on it. I would love thoughts and feedback from any owners here. We have stayed 2 years in a row at Boardwalk (once in the hotel and once in the villas) and really love that area too. But of course, those (and BCV) are also on wait lists - we definitely want to purchase directly thru Disney DVC.

We are a family of 5 so we need at least a 1 bedroom or 2 studio's at poly..... this is just not making sense to me:confused3

well for sure you are ready to spend some big money . the poly is gonna be real nice , but for half the money you can buy resale same amount of points and still stay at the poly most of the time . just a thought .

We did pretty much the same thing. We were really interested in DVC at the Poly but were blown away by VGF. We rented points and stayed at Kidani Village last month and really didn't like the darkness of the room or the colors with the dark woods. With the initial room drawings of the Poly, it might be a little brighter but seemed to be the same dark coloring that we didn't like and we didn't want to wait for VGF to be sold out so we took the plunge.:banana: We mostly stay in 1 bedroom units so we didn't have any problems booking our first stay at VGF in October. Good luck with your decision!

Why can't you buy BLT direct? Tell your guide you want BLT. They'll sell it to you.

And we definitely think we want to move forward! DH has his heart set on the POLY, he really likes the resort and for some reason just wasn't sold on VGF. I think if BLT was available he would have jumped on it. I would love thoughts and feedback from any owners here. We have stayed 2 years in a row at Boardwalk (once in the hotel and once in the villas) and really love that area too. But of course, those (and BCV) are also on wait lists - we definitely want to purchase directly thru Disney DVC.

We are a family of 5 so we need at least a 1 bedroom or 2 studio's at poly..... this is just not making sense to me:confused3

You might want to consider a resale because you can purchase almost any resort for less than you would pay direct from Disney. Check the Timeshare Store at the top of the page. You might find something you like better. Polynesian will only be studios (ultimately 360 of them) and 20 bungalows.

we definitely want to purchase directly thru Disney DVC.

I will never understand this comment.

Why in the the world would you definitely want to spend double (or more) for the same product just for the priviledge of buying from Disney?

If you really love BLT and Boardwalk - you could buy both for the same price as some direct buys.

If you really love BLT and Boardwalk - you could buy both for the same price as some direct buys.

Agreed. Would hope for around $97 for BLT and $73 for Boardwalk.
Also, with a 9, 7, and 2 year old I think 2 studios will be a weird combination. You and your husband would be staying in different rooms to be with half of the kids. The BLT 1BRs are extremely nice with the 2 bathrooms.

Have you looked at Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Villas? If you really love the theming of the Poly, you might like those more than VGF. You can get all cheaper via resale but can also buy direct. With the recent increase in direct prices for these you'll be paying nearly double for direct. We bought AKV direct but if / when we buy again it'll most likely be resale unless the Poly really wows us since we prefer to stay in a 1 bedroom. We had a few reasons for buying direct with the biggest being we had been looking for months and hadn't found a contract we liked that wasn't stripped; and we didn't want to continue waiting for a variety of reasons. Yes, we paid more but in the past two years we've made some fabulous memories and that's been more than worth it for us. Also, as you're finalizing your decision keep in mind that as your kids grow your room needs will likely change some. Younger kids don't mind sharing a sofa sleeper with a sibling but as they get older they want more space!

.? You can buy any resort direct from Disney, correct? The sold out resorts would just have a waiting list?

.? You can buy any resort direct from Disney, correct? The sold out resorts would just have a waiting list?

Yes, you can buy any resort direct. The older resorts may or may not have a waiting list. The prices on those we're just raised I believe so you'd be paying around 40-50% more than buying resale though.

Have you looked at Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Villas? If you really love the theming of the Poly, you might like those more than VGF. You can get all cheaper via resale but can also buy direct. With the recent increase in direct prices for these you'll be paying nearly double for direct. We bought AKV direct but if / when we buy again it'll most likely be resale unless the Poly really wows us since we prefer to stay in a 1 bedroom. We had a few reasons for buying direct with the biggest being we had been looking for months and hadn't found a contract we liked that wasn't stripped; and we didn't want to continue waiting for a variety of reasons. Yes, we paid more but in the past two years we've made some fabulous memories and that's been more than worth it for us. Also, as you're finalizing your decision keep in mind that as your kids grow your room needs will likely change some. Younger kids don't mind sharing a sofa sleeper with a sibling but as they get older they want more space!

Location.....we like location of BLT and poly -- which is why one would think VGF would be perfect but DH has never stayed there so I am thinking this is why he doesnt want to buy there? But it seems a no brainer to me!

Theyre sold out!

You can waitlist them. Probably would not even take long.

In November, DISNEY sold 31 deeds to BLT for a total of 3,238 points.

If your UY is flexibale, I would imagine it is a short wait.

Your guide wants to sell VGF: He knows he has it in inventory.

I would go resale for BLT WITHOUT question. But if you MUST buy direct, then tell them you want BLT. You will get it

(DVC makes more money selling VGF, as the cost of those points is basically the construction costs. BLT points being sold now were either acquired via foreclosure of ROFR. Since DVC makes more money selling "new/fresh" points (ie - grand floridian) My guess is the guides make more money as well, but I am not sure on that.

FYI: My sister just bought BLT this year via resale. 200 points or so, and paid like 96 a point. She got the first one taken via ROFR, but got her second one. Whole process took 3 months, which I admit is a lot longer than buying direct, but it was over 13,000 cheaper!

If you're insistent on buying directly through DVC, there will be BLT contracts that come through the pipeline as DVC exercises its right of first refusal (ROFR). You may have to wait a few months, but they do get such contracts. The agents don't actively sell those ROFR'd contracts since they try to push the newer DVC resorts which are not yet completely sold (VGF, e.g.) or about to be released for selling such as Poly.

However, as a few others have noted, if you really want BLT, buying resale will save you thousands of dollars, no question, and there are quite a number of resale BLT (and other resorts) contracts out there. When I first bought DVC many years ago, I was unaware of the resale market since the agents won't tell you about it. When I purchased my first VWL contract several years ago, I went resale and saved over $5K comparing it to direct from DVC. A couple of years ago, my wife and I went looking for another small VWL contract with the same Use Year as our first, and at the time, it was extremely difficult to find one resale, as in we couldn't. We opted to let DVC find us one since the going price at the time versus resale was only a $5-$7 difference per point. Within three weeks we had the smaller contract.

My point is that in most instances, buying resale is a much cheaper route; however, there are circumstances where going through DVC is a viable option. Still, I'd most definitely buy resale unless your heart is set on Poly. As another poster noted, though, there are no 1BRs with the new Poly. So, if you want two studios, you'll have no kitchen or washer/dryer. Food for thought. ;)

We've just bought a resale BLT contract. No way I would have considered buying it direct from Disney.
We're also a family of 5 (three kids age 6, 6, 5) and have no desire to squeeze ourselves into a studio with no kitchen or laundry facilities. As beautiful as it is, I doubt we'll ever stay at the Poly as a family when there are other 1 bed options.

It's taken us two years of research to be sure what we wanted - don't jump in until you've looked at all the options!

Theyre sold out!

NO, they aren't! Well...technically yeah, but you can ABSOLUTELY 100% still buy BLT direct from Disney if that is the resort you really want. Call your guide (or whatever rep you met with) tell them you X number of points and Y use-year and they'll sell it to you. Now, you may have to wait a bit for Disney to go out and procure those points via "right of first refusal" on the resale market...but if you have your heart set on buying direct AND buying BLT...it's toally doable. Just call.

IF

DVC has priced them to the point it is not worth buying direct anymore, just my opinion of course. I bought direct at $65 per point and they said the break even was about 7-10 years. So you can imagine what it is at today's price point.

DVC has priced them to the point it is not worth buying direct anymore, just my opinion of course. I bought direct at $65 per point and they said the break even was about 7-10 years. So you can imagine what it is at today's price point.

It's still about the same because room rates have also risen significantly. Even with a 35% FL resident discount the current room costs are ridiculously high. Was recently discussing this with some friends. If you use $10 cost per point for VGF (about $3.3 per point over the life of the contract plus maintenance fees rounded up to make an easy number to multiply) and look at a studio in September (when they were staying) at 17 points per night for standard and 20 for lakeview. Your effective cost right now is $170-$200 per night - much less than what a cash rate is for that same studio...heck...I think it was even less that what they were paying at Port Orleans in a Princess room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter