Message In A Bottle - Thrown Overboard?

Corryn

DIS Veteran
Hello,
I was just sitting at work daydreaming of being on the cruise :cloud9: and I started to think about if someone had ever thrown a Message in a Bottle overboard? I know it's most likely illegal, and that wildlife might get hurt, etc.
Anyone ever hear of this?
Remember it's just a question - Don't flame me, I'm just curious :confused3

No flames, but Disney doesn't allow it. I know someone's posted the rules and regs about this lately. It sure sounds like fun, but alas, not to be done. :)

We did it last year. Shirley from a perfect gift included them in our baskets. The kids filled them out and wrote our email and some details about the date, ship etc. We stood on the balcony and tossed them over. I didn't know it wasn't allowed and the kids had fun doing it. The bottles were plastic and sealed shut. I honestly didn't think of it being a hazard to sea life......

Myabe someday someone will find them and contact us, but so far.... nothing.

Jenn

I friend of mine found a message in a bottle it had come all the way from Canada to the coast of Donegal here in Ireland
I know she sent a letter back but never heard what happen after that

Remeber doing this as a young girl , never had any replys
but most do it with my DS for the fun again

Thanks for the memoies

We did it on our Western DCL a couple years ago. The kids loved filling out the message, sealing it, throwing it in the ocean and watching it float away. Maybe someday, someone, somewhere will find it and write them!!

Kelli
:groom: princess: pirate: pirate: pirate:

Disney get fined if it is found out that things are thrown overboard....during the August repo some folks were throwing trinkets off the side of the ship to the many kids gathered to watch the Magic sail thru the Canal.....there was announcement by the Captain to stop immediately....found out they could be fined about $200,000.00.

I am not 100% sure but I think every cruise line has a policy about throwing things overboard....I even remember hearing the CM's onboard the Magic talk about how they get in trouble each time a vollyball or basketball somehow goes overboard. I must be a Maritime law.

As mentioned before it is highly illegal, the cruise line (and this goes for all cruise lines, not just Disney) could get fined heavily and they can pass that fine along to the passenger. They pay shipping dues for using specific lanes as in a freeway! and it is their responsibility to keep those lanes pollution free and unlittered.

There are so many reasons why it shouldn't be thrown off the boat, but other than the potential "bad for the environment" argument, there is no reason why it couldn't be done at CC. Sure it may wash ashore 10 minutes later but it may not.

I know the idea sounds great, but I wouldn't do it just for the simple fact that the wildlife could get hurt. I am a HUGE dolphin lover and would hate for a bottle to injure a dolphin (or other wildlife). It could get lodged in their throats, I assume!

mmouse37 said:
Disney get fined if it is found out that things are thrown overboard....during the August repo some folks were throwing trinkets off the side of the ship to the many kids gathered to watch the Magic sail thru the Canal.....there was announcement by the Captain to stop immediately....found out they could be fined about $200,000.00.

I am not 100% sure but I think every cruise line has a policy about throwing things overboard....I even remember hearing the CM's onboard the Magic talk about how they get in trouble each time a vollyball or basketball somehow goes overboard. I must be a Maritime law.

LOL I did this in Alaska once. There was a organized game of volleyball on deck my spike just happened to be a bit long and sneak its way through a opening in the netting and bounce over the rail. The "sports guy" said they loose about one a cruise. We were just leaving Hubbard Glacier and there were lots of seals so I'm sure they had some fun with it:)

My son wrote a letter, which for him is a BIG deal, sealed it up and wanted to toss it overboard. But, it's againt the law so I said we can't.
I did sneak it out and tucked it away. I plan on sending it to him in about 15 years.

matsterrocks said:
LOL We were just leaving Hubbard Glacier and there were lots of seals so I'm sure they had some fun with it:)
Wouldn't that be so funny!!!!

Colorado Mom said:
My son wrote a letter, which for him is a BIG deal, sealed it up and wanted to toss it overboard. But, it's againt the law so I said we can't.
I did sneak it out and tucked it away. I plan on sending it to him in about 15 years.

Wow, that is SO sweet! I'm sure this will bring back lots of wonderful memories for him. Very original! :goodvibes

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

Colorado Mom said:

That is such a great idea. :cool1:I hope you don't mind if I steal it from you! ;)

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
He wrote it and said he was Piff the Piruate and addressed it to a persun. Just a snapshot of who he was at that moment and totally worth saving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter