• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Message from WebmasterAlex

wayneg

Will be 3:30am so shouldn't affect us too much.

The boards will be coming down at 10:30pm Eastern time tomorrow, Friday the 23rd, for some upgrades. The shutdown is expected to last several hours.
(geek version- we are migrating to a new LUN on the SAN with more drives in order to improve our IO wait times)
Alex

Being a geek, I never would have guessed these fora were big enough to justify a SAN, that must cost a fair packet to maintain!

Being a geek, I never would have guessed these fora were big enough to justify a SAN, that must cost a fair packet to maintain!

Not being a geek I have no idea what either of you are talking about:rotfl2:

San =Storage Area Network
LUN=logical unit number
As for IO wait times Slow I/O can also affect your DB2 response time
Paul

San =Storage Area Network
LUN=logical unit number
As for IO wait times Slow I/O can also affect your DB2 response time
Paul

My thoughts exactly!!! ;):rotfl::rotfl:

Just because I find it interesting, your PC at home has one or more disks in which is called DAS (direct attached storage) because that's what it is.

There's two things wrong with that when you get into more powerful computing.

1) You might have 50GB free on your disk when someone else is desperate for 30GB more but you can't share it
2) Your disk is limited to writing or reading one chunk of information (IO is input/output or reading/writing) so what if you want to read or write more quickly?

A SAN takes all of the disks out of the computers a business runs and merges them all together in one device called a SAN. It then subdivides everything back up into just the right amount of storage for each computer. That instantly solves number 1).

However, the great thing is if you've got 100 disks in a big device all being shared, on a simple level, it's capable of reading 100 chunks of information at once, or writing 100 or somewhere in between so read 50 and write 50.

On that level, it solves number 2 and is great for a forum where if you think about it, there are loads of reads and writes, reads are when we all view existing forum posts. Writes are when new posts are created and stored.

Hope that's slightly clearer than mud now!

And for any geeks reading, I know I've simplified but it's far too complicated in reality to discuss on a forum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter