Meryl Streep slams Walt Disney

Do I care what she thinks of Disney (or Emma Thompson for that matter)? Nah. Just another human with just another opinion. Kinda like all of us.

<<edit>>

[...feel free to dislodge tongue from cheek at any time...;) ]

meh. Not worth worrying about: what Meryl Streep thinks of Walt Disney.

She was quoting directly from a letter that Disney sent a potential illustrator. Was the attitude surprising for its time? Possibly not (though there were plenty of people who admired women's professional skills even in the 1930s and 40s). Does that mean she can't point out how such an attitude must have put Disney at loggerheads with P.L. Travers? Nope.

"Dear Miss Ford,

Your letter of recent date has been received in the inking and painting department for reply. Women do not do any of the creative work in connection with preparing the cartoons for the screen, as that task is performed entirely by young men. For this reason, girls are not considered for the training school. The only work open to women consists of tracing the characters on clear celluloid sheets with India ink, and then filling in the tracing on the reverse side with paint, according to the directions."

Not to nitpick but Walt did not send out that letter... the studio did.

And 2 years after that 'letter' was sent Walt started working with Mary Blair.

I guess in 2 years he had a change of heart and decided women can do creative work?

And it's laughable that Streep says Walt met his match in Travers.

As far as I can tell Walt made the movie he wanted to make and not the one Travers wanted him to make. :confused3

The rejection letter written way back when that says that woman do not do creative work is WELL known by women who currently work on the Disney Studio lot. It is how is just was back then, and it is very funny now.

If I'm not mistaken, that letter is signed by a woman.

Oh noes...some barely known actress (3 Oscars...pah!) has dared to sully the name of Saint Walt! How DARE she?!

And, you know this how? Just because she's an actor doesn't mean she doesn't have a brain or thoughts and opinions. I think this is being blown out of proportion. I don't think she was bashing Walt at all. She pointed out things that are well known as a contrast to a personality difference with Emma Thompson. It is what it is. Walt Disney wasn't a saint. He was a brilliant, creative man with flaws. It is crazy how people get bent out of shape if anything negative is mentioned about him. You can love what he did and still acknowledge that he was human and had human flaws. It's like mentioning anything negative about WDW. I've worked there. I love it, but there are things that are less than stellar that happen behind the scenes. It will always be one of my favorite places on earth, but it isn't perfect (nor the happiest place on earth).

Well, I base this mostly on the fact people worship Meryl Streep as a great, award- winning actress. They admire her for her body of work. I did not say she doesn't have thoughts or opinions, just that they shouldn't carry more weight just because she's famous as an actress.

I really don't care what Meryl Streep has to say about any subject but this is non-news. Walt wasn't some God above reproach, he was a guy who happened to hold the same views as the majority of other men who lived during his time. It doesn't mean he was right to have them but he was a guy living in the first half of the twentieth century who thought the same as most people living in the first half of the twentieth century. It is what it is.

I really don't care what Meryl Streep has to say about any subject but this is non-news. Walt wasn't some God above reproach, he was a guy who happened to hold the same views as the majority of other men who lived during his time. It doesn't mean he was right to have them but he was a guy living in the first half of the twentieth century who thought the same as most people living in the first half of the twentieth century. It is what it is.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. Lord people are dramatic, looking for scandal at every turn.

Disney was from a different era. He's been dead for a very long time. I thought it was holier than thou of her to even bring it up.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. Lord people are dramatic, looking for scandal at every turn.

Yep... but because she is a famous actress people listen to her.

A nice article about the situation by Floyd Norman:

http://floydnormancom.squarespace.com/blog/2014/1/8/sophies-poor-choice

BTW... it's always amusing the group of posters that always make a big deal about people making a big deal about things like this.

Forums would be a pretty boring ( and deserted ) place if all people did was talk about recipes and such.

Well obviously some people do care about what she has to say. They did invite her to speak there as she is invited to share her thoughts in many, many places. I think she is hilariously funny. I love seeing her at award shows.

I don't care a whit, what Ms. Streep thinks or says. She's just another Hollywood Hypocrite.::yes::

.....I was wondering, were Ms. Streep's comments opinions based upon hearsay, or was it as commentary to research that she did herself? :confused3 Just curious....

As for Meryl, well, I think she is an exceptionally gifted actress. She's entitled to her opinion like everyone else, but I don't think she has any special credentials in history, sociology, or psychology.
Nor toxicology!

Here is a Facebook post from this evening from the Walt Disney Family Museum :thumbsup2:

In light of the recent rumors that have been circulating, we would like to debunk misconceptions that have been told as bold, un-sourced statements and wildly false accusations. This is in defense of Walt: http://www.waltdisney.org/content/defense-walt-disney #TeamWalt!

It looks like our site/servers have crashed. While we are working to restore it, here is the text from the piece (we apologize for the inconvenience as images, hyperlinks, and stylization will be lost in the text block below). Thank you for your patience and for your support.

IN DEFENSE OF WALT DISNEY

In light of the recent rumors that have been spreading about Walt Disney, The Walt Disney Family Museum would be more than happy to debunk misconceptions that have been told as bold, un-sourced statements and wildly false accusations, as part of our mission to enlighten and educate.

WOMEN'S ROLES AT WALT DISNEY PRODUCTIONS:

In 1938, a letter was written from Walt Disney Productions to a female applicant, turning down her request to enroll in the Studio’s Animation Training Program. The letter, to the right, states that women did not perform the position of Animator at that time. What it did not say is that women were not capable of such work. This type of job restriction could be found not only at The Walt Disney Studios but at every other animation studio. Put into historical context, this letter illustrates the culturally accepted limited role of women in the workplace in the 1930s. At that time, most companies in America were mostly male-dominated with women providing smaller support roles. There were several prominent women within Walt Disney Productions, well before WWII made women the backbone of the American workforce. In speeches made to his employees on February 10 and 11, 1941, Walt observed that women artists could fully equal their male counterparts, and were being included in his studio animation training program:

“If a woman can do the work as well, she is worth as much as a man,” he declared. “The girl artists have the right to expect the same chances for advancement as men, and I honestly believe they may eventually contribute something to this business that men never would or could.”

Quite a few women played important roles at The Walt Disney Studios during Walt's time, including artist Mary Blair—whose work in the animation department at The Walt Disney Studios heavily influenced the look and feel of Disney films for almost 30 years. Blair started at the Studios in the early 1940s and worked on classics such as Cinderella, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and more. She also assisted in the design of the Disneyland Resort attraction it's a small world, and a life retrospective of her work will be on view at The Walt Disney Family Museum starting March 2014. (Our current exhibition—Water to Paper, Paint to Sky: The Art of Tyrus Wong—focuses on the life's work of 103-year old Asian American artist Tyrus Wong, who also worked at The Walt Disney Studios in the 1940s. To find out more about Walt and diversity, please skip down to the next section).

To this day, there are quite a few women who worked at The Walt Disney Studios who will still happily recall stories from their time spent working with and knowing Walt Disney. Among these legendary women are Ginni Mack, Marge Champion, and Disney Legend Alice Davis—the costumer who played a large role in Disney history as she designed and hand-made a significant amount of costumes seen on the Audio Animatronics in a number of Disneyland attractions.

Learn more about a few of these women including Bianca Majolie, Sylvia Moberly-Holland, Rhetta Scott, and Mary Blair here; read more about the first female Imagineer, Harriet Burns, here.

It was even before the 1950s when they started recognizing the employment and importance of women at The Walt Disney Studios. Notably, Hazel Sewell served as an art director on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, which was released in 1937—a year before the letter mentioned above was dated. Sewell also worked as an ink artist on the very first Mickey Mouse cartoon created in 1928, Plane Crazy, and was one of the artists who traveled to Latin America in 1941 as part of Walt's goodwill tour.

Other notable females, besides Walt's wife Lillian—who worked as an Inker & Painter before they married in 1925—were his Aunt Margaret, who provided Walt with his first drawing tablet and tools, and Margaret (MJ) Winkler, whose distribution deal with Walt's Alice Comedies allowed him to establish the Disney Brothers Cartoon Studios in 1923.

WALT DISNEY AND DIVERSITY:

Walt Disney was a patriot—one only has to look at his work throughout the 1940s to witness his tour of Latin America of behalf of the United States Good Neighbor Policy, the US Army's occupation of The Walt Disney Studios Lot, Walt’s countless military training films, which were made at cost, as well as shorts and films against the Axis like “Victory Through Air Power." The Studios even won an Academy Award in 1943 for the short film "Der Fuehrer's Face"—the easiest of Google searches will reveal the true patriotic message behind Donald Duck’s nightmare in “Nutzi Land."

Moreover, Walt not only employed many people of Jewish descent—including Joe Grant, Marty Sklar, Ed Solomon, Richard and Robert Sherman, and so many more who held prominent roles within Walt's company. These men and women collaborated and created with Walt, side by side, with no prejudice. Ask some of the people who worked directly with Walt Disney what it was like to work with him and his organization, such as a number of the women mentioned above or the men listed below.

In a recent interview, songwriter Richard Sherman states: “Let me tell you something, a lot of people talk about Walt in negative ways. There was nothing negative about Walt Disney,” he says. “He was dedicated to doing great things. He reached for the stars all the time. He was a wonderful, wonderful boss.”

This isn't the first time the Sherman Brothers have gone on record in defense of Walt. Some may also recall the story that Robert Sherman told about Walt's defending the brothers during a meeting: "Walt was sensitive to people's feelings . . . He hated to see people mistreated or discriminated against. One time, Richard and I overheard a discussion between Walt and one of his lawyers. This attorney was a real bad guy, didn't like minorities. He said something about Richard and me, and he called us 'these Jew boys writing these songs.' Well, Walt defended us, and he fired the lawyer. Walt was unbelievably great to us."

Walt was also a frequent contributor to Jewish charities, including the Yeshiva College and the Jewish Home for the Aged. Also, Walt Disney was made Man of the Year by the Beverly Hills Lodge of B’nai B’rith—the oldest continually-operating Jewish service organization, which fights anti-Semitism all over the world—in 1955, and was also awarded a recognition from Hadassah, a Jewish women’s organization that empowers youth in Israel and America. These awards can be seen in the Lobby of The Walt Disney Museum (or by clicking on the thumbnails above. Right: B'nai B'rith Heart of America Chapter, Kansas City, Missouri; Distinguished Service Citation, 1958. Left: Hadassah Recognition of Achievement, 1958.)

Our good friend and Disney animator Floyd Norman also has been quoted saying: "The funny part was that minorities weren't knocking at the gates to get in. The jobs were there if they wanted them and if they were qualified. It's like the old ruse that Walt didn't hire Jews, which was also ridiculous. There were plenty of Jews at Disney. Personally, I never felt any prejudice from Walt." In fact, we encourage you to read the blog piece he recently published addressing the same factual misconceptions that we discuss here.

DECEMBER 15, 1966:

Lastly, let's not forget to bust the most circulated (and possibly the most bizarre) myth of all. The Walt Disney Family Museum houses an entire gallery dedicated to the heartbreakingly sudden passing of Walt Disney—from acute circulatory lung collapse—on December 15, 1966. Two days later, Walt was cremated and interred at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, CA. In fact, the only time the phrase "Disney's Frozen" is accurate is when it is in reference to the Walt Disney Animation Studios' new animated feature.

Of course there are still skeptics who think we are writing this through rose-colored glasses and that our views might be bias as The Walt Disney Family Museum was founded by Walt's daughter Diane Disney Miller. Despite this, the evidence is all there: through the facts as recorded through different accounts written down in history books; the first-person interviews from those who knew and worked with Walt; the physical and documented awards; and in the films he created. It's all there! And by there, we mean here, at The Walt Disney Family Museum. We happily invite all those who are still skeptical to visit the museum to learn about Walt, the man behind the brand, firsthand. There is no need for apologies or retractions—it's just important to seek the facts before further spreading inaccuracies and fueling rumors.

Walt Disney was not a saint. Walt was a human being who made mistakes and had many ups and downs throughout his life. His daughter, Diane, emphasized this many times, stating "what made HIM human is what makes YOU human." Walt suffered his fair share of failures, but he also had a strong spirit of creativity, innovation, and an optimistic outlook to keep moving forward. To those of you who have defended Walt—whether it is because you feel affection towards the man behind the brand, you are a fan of the entertainment company he founded or of his daughter's museum dedicated to his life story, or if you are just in pursuit of historical fact and truth—thank you. We appreciate that you, too, are working hard to make sure that Walt's life, work, and legacy live on and continue to inspire for generations to come.

It's true that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but if you are still skeptical after looking over these facts presented above, we invite you to visit The Walt Disney Family Museum, or even send us your questions and concerns at storyboard@wdfmuseum.org. We would love to hear from you.

The Walt Disney Family Museum® Disney Enterprises, Inc. | © 2014 The Walt Disney Family Museum, LLC | The Walt Disney Family Museum is not affiliated with Disney Enterprises, Inc. — with Jerri Guevara.

I'm sorry if that whole quote didn't post correctly. I think it was the copying and pasting from Facebook that did it to my post here.

Most of heroes were women though he did have a lot of cat bad guys. I wonder what Walt Disney would say or do or change if he saw or not permit if he was still living.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter