• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Merry Christmas Broken Transmission ((Vent))

tinkmom2

DIS Veteran
I feel like crying. Our O/D light came on on our 2007 Mercury Mariner we just got about a year ago. We took it in to the dealership today. It went from being nothing (a microtrip) to being a belt loose in the trasmission. It could cost up to $3000.00. My daughter has been ill with a heart condition and we've been putting all of our money towards those bills. Now we have to come up with this money. We will only have this kind of money when our taxes come back at the end of January. I have no idea what to do?
We basically have been through the ringer with all of these medical bills. Our credit has suffered because of it. I have no idea what to do.

Transmissions don't typically have belts. And IMO, that's a ridiculous price for a new transmission in a body on frame vehicle. Even a front wheel drive car runs about $1,800 at a reputable transmission shop, and they are WAY more labor intensive than a Mariner.

I'd get a second (and maybe a third) opinion...

Transmissions don't typically have belts. And IMO, that's a ridiculous price for a new transmission in a body on frame vehicle. Even a front wheel drive car runs about $1,800 at a reputable transmission shop, and they are WAY more labor intensive than a Mariner.

I come from a family of mechanics. Transmissions definitely don't typically have belts.

I'd get a second (and maybe a third) opinion...

Do get another opinion. I think the shop may be trying to take advantage of you.

I don't know the first thing about cars but I would take the other posters advice and get another opinion. I can pray for you and your daughter though so consider that done. I hope she is better soon, and I hope that your car expense is low. I also know all to well how unexpected big expenses can drain on you.

I have no idea about the whole belt thing, but it would not surprise me if the transmission on a Mariner runs $3000. When the transmission went in my 2003 Mazda Tribute (same car as Mariner and Escape) it was nearly $4000 to replace it with a rebuilt one. I had two different estimates done and they were both very close to each other. Everyone who is saying that $3000 is way too much obviously do not live in an area with a high cost of living. Labor rates around here are outrageous! :scared1:

tinkmom2 said:
I feel like crying. Our O/D light came on on our 2007 Mercury Mariner we just got about a year ago. We took it in to the dealership today. It went from being nothing (a microtrip) to being a belt loose in the trasmission. It could cost up to $3000.00. My daughter has been I'll with a heart condition and we've been putting all of our money towards those bills. Now we have to come up with this money. We will only have this kind of money when our taxes come back at the end of January. I have no idea what to do?
We basically have been through the ringer with all of these medical bills. Our credit has suffered because of it. I have no idea what to do.

OP, my DH is a mechanic, and there's no belt in your transmission. I've never heard of such. Please, get a second opinion. :hug:

My limited knowledge of cars tells me there is no belt in a transmission, as others have said. But I also second what the above poster said. I had a 2003 Mazda Tribute (stay away from them) and the tranny went out. I was quoted 2choices, $2000 or $2600. The higher price I was told was the best way to go with it. I opted to trade it for a Nissan as is/was. If the transmission is out, it is out. There is no easy fix.

Would anyone mind to share the mileage their Tributes/Mariners/Escapes had to have their transmission fixed?

Would anyone mind to share the mileage their Tributes/Mariners/Escapes had to have their transmission fixed?

Mine had about 110K on it. It was March of 2012 when it happened. I bought it used in 2007 with about 50K miles on it. I really liked how it drove, but I had nothing but trouble with it. Alternator, fuel pump, idle motor (that was a new one on me, and it took several attempts to find the root of that problem), the heated passenger seat actually started smoking, and even after the alternator and battery were replaced, the battery light on the instrument panel would faintly light up. I suspect there was a problem with the electrical system. Finally the transmission went out.

Have you had any of the same issues

I would ask around for a reputable independent transmission repair shop and get a second opinion and price. You should be able to get some kind of guarantee on the transmission and the labor. Often, the dealer is the most expensive game in town.

-Astrid

Is it possible they said a band was slipping? Technically that may be the condition that you have................and if so................they are deep inside the transmission and replacing them is a major task.

I know this does not change the fact that you have received bad news, but sometimes the story can get a little twisted as it is passed from technical people to non technical people.

There is a decent company that sells remanufactured transmissions and engines through a network of installation shops. The name of company is Jasper and they will provide a warranty. They have a website.

tvguy said:

Ah, thus why I had never heard of such a thing. In 25 years, I've never heard my DH mention a belt in reference to the inner workings of a transmission (he mainly works on GMs). I learned something new today. I'm going to test DH on this in the morning...hehe.

Ah, thus why I had never heard of such a thing. In 25 years, I've never heard my DH mention a belt in reference to the inner workings of a transmission (he mainly works on GMs). I learned something new today. I'm going to test DH on this in the morning...hehe.

I may be wrong, but I think it is only available in the Hybrid versions of these cars. We 8 Escapes at work, 4 Hybrids with this transmission. They feel different when you drive them since you never feel them shift. For us older folks, the feel is very much like the old Dynaflow transmissions Buick had.

(I haven't read all posts)

I'm not a mechanic, but work in the industry. I'm making a couple assumptions: like your vehicle isn't a hybrid. Actually, I'm guessing that it's a CD4E trans, which is a labor intensive job. Prices vary by location. Here (NJ) that transmission could easily run $3000.

A broken BAND is a common failure. (Is it possible you meant band not belt?).

I have a few suggestions. First if you are not committed to the dealer leave. Most dealerships will not rebuild or repair the unit but simply replace it with a factory rebuild. Fine but sometimes more costly than a shop that does its own work.

Next: Go to ATRA.com and look for a shop in your area.
Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association is an industry organization. Participating shops have to meet certain criteria and generally you will find shops that are honest and upfront about the problem and cost.

Last: if the technician thinks it is a broken band ask if the band could be replaced through the side cover. It's not a common practice but if it can be done successfully it can save 60% plus.

Good luck to you.

Just had my 2013 Nissan Pathfinder repurchased by Nissan last month under the lemon law. The defect was - you guessed it - the CVT (continually variable transmission), which does indeed use a belt/chain.

If your vehicle has a CVT, then the dealership is probably telling you the truth about the belt. If the belt is slipping, you will probably need a new CVT (transmission). In order to change out the transmission, they will need to drop your engine, which will be expensive.

In less than one year with my Pathfinder, I needed my 3rd CVT because the others kept shuddering (a variation of the belt slipping), which was damaging the CVT.

Just had my 2013 Nissan Pathfinder repurchased by Nissan last month under the lemon law. The defect was - you guessed it - the CVT (continually variable transmission), which does indeed use a belt/chain.

If your vehicle has a CVT, then the dealership is probably telling you the truth about the belt. If the belt is slipping, you will probably need a new CVT (transmission). In order to change out the transmission, they will need to drop your engine, which will be expensive.

In less than one year with my Pathfinder, I needed my 3rd CVT because the others kept shuddering (a variation of the belt slipping), which was damaging the CVT.

Oh well isn't that just great news!:( Hopefully I won't have those issues, plus my Nissan is a certified used which gives me a 100,000 mile warranty. Thank goodness. It has run like a top for the past 20 months since I bought it.

finished reading...

If it's a CVT then the dealership might be the only option as parts are difficult if not impossible to acquire on the aftermarket. However if it's a CVT then $3000 sounds low. Get a written estimate.

correction: area shops might be able to provide a remanufactured factory built trans. It is more costly than a standard rebuild.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter