Merchandise

I actually think it's really funny that people are talking about how strollers/wheelchairs is merch.. that was my role in Magic Kingdom! :) It's interesting to me, though, how people are saying they got "stuck stacking strollers" because there's SO much more to it than that. Yes, you stack strollers/wheelchairs and get bruises from them (I've actually had an alpha unit called for me from lifting a wheelchair improperly). & Yes, you get yelled at because you run out of ECVs and half the time you're outside and it's hot and at night all you can smell is the popcorn and you just want to get off work and go eat some.. and then that terror when you clock in and get an ECV run for a guest who's been waiting for a good hour or so..

But some of the time spent in the back room stacking strollers made some of the best friendships & memories. I got to greet people into the park for the first time and blow bubbles at night when it was slow; one of my friends & I would dance to the parade every time we worked nights together. I got to wave goodbye to people and watch Wishes and when the park was closed, I got the privilege of being one of the few people in the world who's seen MK completely as it is after hours. And since Strollers is usually a huge area with relatively easy jobs, there are a LOT of CPs & ICPs and I've made friends there that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to get to know if I had a regular merch job.

I'm not saying that one area is necessarily better than another but it's all in the way you look at it. I have merch this time around again and I'm honestly afraid that I'm going to have a "normal" merchandise job.. but wherever you're put, you're going to hate *something* about it - you just need to make sure that you're letting the positives outweigh the negatives - because they do.

Completely long rant, sorry, but I can't have people hatin' on strollers ;)

I don't think anyone was hating on it. I was merely saying that when people think merchandise, they probably don't think that they could get that and might be shocked. And I was just told by someone they didn't enjoy it, so I was saying it may not be for some people, just as most roles will have people who will say they didn't enjoy it. It was never a personal insult about how terrible stacking wheelchairs and strollers is.

Ok il voice my main concern
Do you get to pin trade if you do the strollers and wheelchairs??:rotfl::rotfl2:
Honestly il make due with what i get as long as i can pin trade!!!!!!

Where were some of everyones favorite places to work? (I guess more for those who have done more than one program) Is there a park people would rather work in? And last question! Did anyone request where they wanted to work? I know you can do that but I'm not sure how common that is and how likely it is for you to get that park or shop.

Any help or advice would be awesome!

Has anybody ever worked (or know someone that has) at Downtown Disney? Is it as much fun as working in the parks?

I work in Downtown Disney, im in the Westside. Im a floater so i work in 4 different stores, well 3 in a couple days with Mickey's Groove closing. When i found out i was going to be working in Downtown Disney i was a lil angry, i forgot all about Downtown and i wanted to work in Magic Kingdom. Now im fine with everything, i do wish we get more interactions with the kids, i do interact with kids but not as much like in the parks. I work in D Street (the big store for Vinylmations), Candy Cauldron (if you have a long shift, best place to work, you're consistently busy), Disney Quest (I work in the emperiorium which is the lil merchandise store on the side and also in the Gallery inside Disney Quest where guest get to buy their rollercoaster dvds or their songs they made) then theres Mickey Groove which will be closing down but its alright.
I like Downtown Disney better than the parks because we have set times and no magic hours, so Sunday-Thursday we close at 11 and Friday-Saturday we close at 12. But hey, its a job so you do get frustrated with the guest and you're coworkers and such... but who doesn't.

Yeah I'll be in the Fall 2011 program and I actually requested to work in Downtown Disney because I thought that being in the parks every day would make them lose their novelty and special-ness for me. But now I'm having second thoughts and I'm afraid I won't feel like I'm part of the "magic."

I did Merch in Pop Century for Spring 2010. :goodvibes It was my second choice but I loved it! I was grateful I was in a resort rather than a park because at least the hours are stable and the latest I would stay would be 1:00 AM. The awesome thing about being in Merch is if you want to pick up hours you can pick them up in any park or resort (If they are available). I still take advantage of that perk of being a Merch Hostess as a seasonal CM. It's a really awesome experience working in different locations and meeting new cast members and managers.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter