"Men's" products

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
Just thinking of the general category of products that are somehow designed for men even though the basic item is essentially gender neutral. My kid is 4, and from visiting many a toy store or toy section, somehow making it pink is supposed to make it marketable to girls. I even heard of a kid who got Hasbro to make an Easy Bake Oven in some color other than pink. But for men it's something else than just color.

I've noticed this with toiletries. Stuff like shampoo is mostly flowery or perfumed when targeted towards a general market. However, there are some brands like American Crew, Mitch (by Paul Mitchell), or Consort for Men that try to cater to men with some sort of musk scent. I got tired of using my wife's Dove bar soap to wash my face; it just seems to get mushy once it's wet. The smell doesn't bother me since it goes away quickly. I've used various products in the past from Body Shop or L'Occitane en Provence that were marketed for me to use, and of course the main deal is again that musky smell. So this time I didn't want to spend a small fortune and just went to Target and got a bottle of Dove Men+Care body/face wash (seems to work just fine). I remember using one of their early bar soaps when it came as a sample added to an 8 pack at Costco. The face/body wash has some sort of musk smell (I sense a pattern).

I've seen some odd marketing. Blistex used to have a lip balm "for men" (Clear Advance) and they had an ad where some mobster type is chiding his associate for using some lip balm that makes his lips shiny. Apparently some women specifically used it because it made for a good base to wear under lipstick.

However, this has to be the most bizarre item I've seen targeted for men:

pocky1.jpg

I've never seen the Pocky for men but I bet it is because the regular boxes are bright pink. My dses love Pocky, they don't care what color the package is.

The only things I can think of that I have seen are H&B products, there are way more that say "for men" than there used to be.

http://www.marykay.com/s.agliata/en-US/_layouts/MaryKayCoreCatalog/CategoryPage.aspx?dsNav=N:10668
I do not believe they smell "musky".
http://www.marykay.com/s.agliata/en-US/_layouts/MaryKayCoreCatalog/CategoryPage.aspx?dsNav=N:10706

But yeah, marketing is weird. As a female, I would just like stuff that has NO smell, or at least very light. I am super sensitive to scents and half the stuff out there causes me not to breath.

Body Shop's current men's face wash uses "maca root" - whatever that is. The L'Occitane product I used (the bottle is kind of convenient) was more menthol. In any case, they kind of try for a general "manly" scent whatever that may be. I don't really mind a mildly sweet scent anyways. I use Paul Mitchell Awapui shampoo, which does smell like Hawaiian ginger but is then pretty neutral once it's rinsed out.

Now Dove Men+Care is kind of weird. They have this big marketing campaign, but I would have suggested that maybe the name "Dove" and the little dove logo isn't necessarily the best way to market towards men. However, using that stuff does leave a residual smell slightly reminiscent of aftershave (which I don't typically use). It's also a huge bottle, so it's pretty cheap.

bodyFaceWashes_withPump_Product316-506743.png

Cetaphil is supposed to be one of the better products to wash your face, and it has no fragrance whatsoever. That's about the most neutral smelling thing I've used. I tried using Dr Bronner's unscented liquid soap. Fine for overall washing, but on my face it seems kind of drying.

Now Dove Men+Care is kind of weird. They have this big marketing campaign, but I would have suggested that maybe the name "Dove" and the little dove logo isn't necessarily the best way to market towards men. However, using that stuff does leave a residual smell slightly reminiscent of aftershave (which I don't typically use). It's also a huge bottle, so it's pretty cheap.
Well, I don't think they are going to reinvent the wheel and get a whole new logo and name just so you get a more masculine bird on the bottle or box :rolleyes:

Well, I don't think they are going to reinvent the wheel and get a whole new logo and name just so you get a more masculine bird on the bottle or box :rolleyes:

Yeah - but Unilever is a large company. Axe is one of their brands, although that's using more a sex sells model of marketing. I would have thought they could have made up a new brand name to market towards men.

Yeah - but Unilever is a large company. Axe is one of their brands, although that's using more a sex sells model of marketing. I would have thought they could have made up a new brand name to market towards men.
Maybe they left the Dove name on it to make sure it IS differentiated from Axe. My DH wouldn't be caught dead wearing Axe for a couple reasons. One being it stinks, and two being the way it is sold. He'd much rather have the plain gray container with the mellow Dove on it than that crap.

Maybe they left the Dove name on it to make sure it IS differentiated from Axe. My DH wouldn't be caught dead wearing Axe for a couple reasons. One being it stinks, and two being the way it is sold. He'd much rather have the plain gray container with the mellow Dove on it than that crap.
Agreed. My Dh tried the Dove precisely because the company has a reputation for making good skin care products. That reputation took time to build, so I think they are trying to capitalize on it.

Though in the end, my DH preferred Dr. Bronners.

Agreed. My Dh tried the Dove precisely because the company has a reputation for making good skin care products. That reputation took time to build, so I think they are trying to capitalize on it.

Though in the end, my DH preferred Dr. Bronners.

It's just that the name "Dove" doesn't exactly ooze manliness. Kind of reminds me of a camping thread, where I was saying that I wouldn't stay at a place called "Princess Campground" just out of principle.

big__140296826065.jpg

If you're looking for a cheap facial bar soap, Purpose by Johnson & Johnson is really good. They have a moisturizer too. Both are gender neutral, with very little scent.

This reminds me of two things:

• The whole "Bic for Her" debacle. What a stupid decision that was. Pens specifically marketted to women? Really?
  • I started using s facial scrub before I shave earlier this year. It's Neutrogena Men Invigorating Face Wash. My daughter saw it and said that it has exactly the same active ingredients as one of their other face washes (except the scent) and it's cheaper.

Last edited:
I am recruiting for the musk scent eradication society. It is ok as an ingredient in another scent, but as a stand alone scent, eliminate it. They should have had it on Monster's Inc right next to Smelly Dumpster and Wet Dog. So let me get this straight. You just took a shower to eliminate that combination sweat, and dirt smell and.......you're going to put on something to make you artificially smell like a combination of sweat and dirt. Why? Oh and musk for her? Oh Heck No!!!

Just a follow up. I recently found a sale, plus $3 coupon, plus $2 rewards redemption and got this:

mens50_c-spray_6oz_nonew.png

And yes - it does have a mild musk scent, although once it's dry it's not like one smells like being drenched in aftershave. The label says "combats odor", although I've never really had any issue with odor on sunscreen applied skin. The hot pink shield and band (only for SPF 50+) are a nice touch.

Just a follow up. I recently found a sale, plus $3 coupon, plus $2 rewards redemption and got this:

mens50_c-spray_6oz_nonew.png

And yes - it does have a mild musk scent, although once it's dry it's not like one smells like being drenched in aftershave. The label says "combats odor", although I've never really had any issue with odor on sunscreen applied skin. The hot pink shield and band (only for SPF 50+) are a nice touch.

Sunscreen for men?? Omg. I just saw Head & Shoulders for men the other day. I always thought of that shampoo for men to begin with?

Idk, next thing you know it'll be soft drinks for men. Oh wait..didn't they market Dr. Pepper Ten for guys?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter