Memphis

momz

DIS Veteran
I am looking for some ideas on hotels around Memphis. We are traveling to attend a funeral in Louisiana and will be stopping in Memphis for the night. I am looking for something that will provide an outlet for my cooped-up kids to burn some energy.

I don't have a place to recommend, but I do suggest that you make a reservation. I've driven up from Louisiana wanting to stop and found NO vacancies - I ended up getting into Little Rock about midnight as I couldn't stop in Memphis.

Also the South side of Memphis doesn't seem to be such a great neighborhood.

You should try to look for hotels in the Southaven and Horn Lake Mississippi area which is just south of Memphis. There is a newly built up area on Goodman Road that you could try. I used to live in this area and it is safe and has everything you would need while traveling. I think that there is a Drury Inn right at I-55 and Goodman Road. Drury Inns usually have a nice pool, evening snacks and beverages and a hot breakfast. You also get an hour of free long distance phone calls too, which usually comes in handy while traveling. I am sorry to hear of your situation and wish you a safe trip!

thank you for your kind words and advice about Memphis. i did not realize there was such a crime problem. so really, thank you so much.

Hi! I live in the area and just wanted to say the Goodman Road area in Southaven, MS is the perfect place for you as the above poster said. Nicer areas of Memphis are out of your way if you're going to LA. Whatever you do, don't say "Oooh, cool, Elvis!" and stop anywhere around there (that would be included in the South Memphis part the other poster noted!)! Keep on truckin' on 55 into Mississippi!! I'm sorry for your loss and hope you have a safe trip!

You should try to look for hotels in the Southaven and Horn Lake Mississippi area which is just south of Memphis. There is a newly built up area on Goodman Road that you could try. I used to live in this area and it is safe and has everything you would need while traveling. I think that there is a Drury Inn right at I-55 and Goodman Road. Drury Inns usually have a nice pool, evening snacks and beverages and a hot breakfast. You also get an hour of free long distance phone calls too, which usually comes in handy while traveling. I am sorry to hear of your situation and wish you a safe trip!

Hi! I live in the area and just wanted to say the Goodman Road area in Southaven, MS is the perfect place for you as the above poster said. Nicer areas of Memphis are out of your way if you're going to LA. Whatever you do, don't say "Oooh, cool, Elvis!" and stop anywhere around there (that would be included in the South Memphis part the other poster noted!)! Keep on truckin' on 55 into Mississippi!! I'm sorry for your loss and hope you have a safe trip!

More agreement with these posters. That would be a very good area for you. Unfortunately, Memphis has a huge crime problem right now. We used to go into Memphis all the time, and now we just don't go at all if we can help it. Recently, some out of state officers (tactical team, I believe) were traveling through Memphis and stopped to eat at a famous barbecue restaurant. Within minutes their unmarked van was broken into and several automatic assault weapons (among other things) were stolen. It was caught on videotape by security cameras. Eventually, some of the weapons were recovered, but I don't know if they ever found all of them or not.

The Drury Inn that they mentioned is just off I-55 in Olive Branch and has LOTS of restaurants in the immediate area! http://www.druryhotels.com/index.cfm

I was just in Memphis on vacation for 4 days. We stayed downtown for 2 nights, at the Heartbreak Hotel for a night, and at a Hampton Inn on Poplar Avenue. The only neighborhood I didn't feel safe in was near Graceland. Downtown was very empty, and there were a lot of homeless people/beggars around, but I'm used to that coming from the NYC area. I actually felt much safer in Memphis than I did in Washington DC or Philadelphia - except when I went south of downtown near Graceland.

FYI - Mississippi has some really nice rest areas. They have a guard 24 hours a day so are much nicer and safer than in other states.

Some of them have tourist areas inside staffed by the nicest ladies who give you free coke or coffee.

I was just in Memphis on vacation for 4 days. We stayed downtown for 2 nights, at the Heartbreak Hotel for a night, and at a Hampton Inn on Poplar Avenue. The only neighborhood I didn't feel safe in was near Graceland. Downtown was very empty, and there were a lot of homeless people/beggars around, but I'm used to that coming from the NYC area. I actually felt much safer in Memphis than I did in Washington DC or Philadelphia - except when I went south of downtown near Graceland.

I agree but didn't mention it before....downtown Menphis is really nice and fun! They have done so much to it since I was a kid and they have plans for more! I just figured you were looking for a nice place to stop for the night - if you have time, I'd stay downtown! If you happen to be coming into town on I-40 from the east, you will actually hit many decent areas along the way - the first being the HW64/Wolfchase Mall exit followed by the Germantown Road exit a moment later. There is a Marriott Springhill Suites by the mall that is nice - I just stayed there when we moved a few months ago. The mall is nice and has a carousel and plenty of restaurants around as well!

If you happen to be coming into town on I-40 from the east, you will actually hit many decent areas along the way - the first being the HW64/Wolfchase Mall exit followed by the Germantown Road exit a moment later. There is a Marriott Springhill Suites by the mall that is nice - I just stayed there when we moved a few months ago. The mall is nice and has a carousel and plenty of restaurants around as well!

I agree.

This is my stomping grounds.

It's Bartlett and you will be fine in Bartlett.

There are also several nice parks minutes from Wolfchase for your little ones to work out their wiggles. I recommend this one...walking trail around a nice duck pond...and it is right across from the Bartlett police station and less than five minutes from Wolfchase.
There is another a bit further right behind Bartlett City Hall with a playground, walking track and a koi pond for fun. Usually a bunch of ducks too.

http://instacam.com/showcam.asp?id=BRTLT&size=S

About crime....most of the stuff that goes on is in parts of town that tourists don't need to be in. Graceland is one of those areas. If we are talking about merders, those are generally not random. So if your don't know anyone who wants to kill you, you are okay.

But be sure to keep your car locked up.
Cars do get stolen and broken in to.
And just be aware as you should be in any big city.

I think the Wolfchase/Hwy 64 area would be fine. There are lots of hotels around there and that area is always really busy with lots of officers patroling.

Hi..I've lived in Memphis for almost 40 years, well in another county now, and unfortunately it is a high crime area. I would definitely recommend downtown. Beale Street has it's own police station so there are cops all around. My husband is a police sergeant and he has said downtown is about the safest place to be. There's a Jillian's that my 14 year old loves to go to. They have bowling, games, just about anything and everything for the family. I don't know of too many hotels that offer activities for kids. I know they would really enjoy the ducks at The Peabody. And I also agree with the other posts, that Bartlett is a safe area. It's right off the interstate. They have Wolf Chase Mall, restaurants, shops and so much more. If you are going east on I-40 (towards Nashville), you will see the Highway 64 exit. Probably less expensive to stay there.

Have fun!!:goodvibes

Lori

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter