• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Memory Maker Questions

tink'smom2B

Chasing Tinkerbell Full Time
We have 19 people on three separate room reservations. At least one member of each family is linked together on MDE. One family has purchased the Memory Maker package. Can each family have our magic bands linked so we would have all the pictures on this one account? Or, does each family need to purchase Memory Maker and we can just see each other's pictures to download? Can you even use your magic band for pictures if you haven't ordered the MM Package? This is confusing!

Only ONE MB can be "keyed" for MM. Pick one. If they're there, you can "get away" with it. If they're not, you can't. It's that simple.

I haven't actually used Memory Maker yet, but from my research, I've gathered the following....

As the PP stated, the MM card can only be linked to 1 MB at a time. So, that person must be present to immediately add the pic to your MM account. As long as your all of your friends & family are linked up on your MDE, you can reassign the MM link to any MB you want, but still only one at a time. So, if you have 3 separate groups each going to a different place, only one group at a time would have access to the MM & the other 2 would not.

One good thing I've read is that you can still gather the old PhotoPass cards from the PhotoPass photographers stationed around the resort & then link them all up to the MM account after your trip. You can then download them all together & split them up amongst the different families. Although a bit more work, that might still make it worth the value for you.

I see the problem spots as being attraction photos & character meal photos. Digital copies of those are supposed to be included in the MM. I could be mistaken, but I don't think they give you an option on these to take a PhotoPass card to link up later??? So, in those cases the person who's MB is currently linked would need to be present in order to get the picture.

Hopefully, this is something they change in the future. It's seems completely counterintuitive to the technology of MDE & MBs. But, I imagine that this upgrade would have a lot of potential for bugs & glitches that would need to be worked out. Guests seem to be having enough trouble already just linking (and keeping linked) all their friends & family for the more basic funtions of MDE & MBs. I'm thinking Disney would want to iron out all of those glitches before adding another layer.

I haven't actually used Memory Maker yet, but from my research, I've gathered the following....

As the PP stated, the MM card can only be linked to 1 MB at a time. So, that person must be present to immediately add the pic to your MM account. As long as your all of your friends & family are linked up on your MDE, you can reassign the MM link to any MB you want, but still only one at a time. So, if you have 3 separate groups each going to a different place, only one group at a time would have access to the MM & the other 2 would not.

One good thing I've read is that you can still gather the old PhotoPass cards from the PhotoPass photographers stationed around the resort & then link them all up to the MM account after your trip. You can then download them all together & split them up amongst the different families. Although a bit more work, that might still make it worth the value for you.

I see the problem spots as being attraction photos & character meal photos. Digital copies of those are supposed to be included in the MM. I could be mistaken, but I don't think they give you an option on these to take a PhotoPass card to link up later??? So, in those cases the person who's MB is currently linked would need to be present in order to get the picture.

Hopefully, this is something they change in the future. It's seems completely counterintuitive to the technology of MDE & MBs. But, I imagine that this upgrade would have a lot of potential for bugs & glitches that would need to be worked out. Guests seem to be having enough trouble already just linking (and keeping linked) all their friends & family for the more basic funtions of MDE & MBs. I'm thinking Disney would want to iron out all of those glitches before adding another layer.

I copied this from the FAQ page on the Disney website:
2. Add people to your Family & Friends list to enable you to view and download their photos.

I am totally confused. The Disney quote makes it seem that the person who is assigned the Memory Maker would be able to see and download photos of all the family/friends linked to his/her account. It sounds like photos can be seen from MagicBands of all your family/friends even if they are at other parks. What am I missing here? We leave in 5 days and there will be 4 of us in 2 rooms. I need to get this figured out! TIA for clarification.

I copied this from the FAQ page on the Disney website:

I am totally confused. The Disney quote makes it seem that the person who is assigned the Memory Maker would be able to see and download photos of all the family/friends linked to his/her account. It sounds like photos can be seen from MagicBands of all your family/friends even if they are at other parks. What am I missing here? We leave in 5 days and there will be 4 of us in 2 rooms. I need to get this figured out! TIA for clarification.

I wish I could say for sure, but I haven't actually got to use it yet. My info comes solely from researching online & mostly from the Moms Panel. I have seen plenty of times when the Moms Panel gave a wrong answer, but I read question after question pretty much asking this thing since around December. They were very consistent in their answer that the card can only be linked to one band at a time.

I too was really disappointed. Although, I'm not visiting until October, I already bought the MM too. I could've sworn that I read that all members of your party could link to it at the same time. But, when I went back & researched that specific question, I couldn't find anything supporting it. If you're able to find something to the contrary please let us know. This is one instance where I would really truly like to be wrong!!!

I wish I could say for sure, but I haven't actually got to use it yet. My info comes solely from researching online & mostly from the Moms Panel. I have seen plenty of times when the Moms Panel gave a wrong answer, but I read question after question pretty much asking this thing since around December. They were very consistent in their answer that the card can only be linked to one band at a time.

I too was really disappointed. Although, I'm not visiting until October, I already bought the MM too. I could've sworn that I read that all members of your party could link to it at the same time. But, when I went back & researched that specific question, I couldn't find anything supporting it. If you're able to find something to the contrary please let us know. This is one instance where I would really truly like to be wrong!!!

So what does the quote above from the Disney website mean?

I just called Disney and spoke with a CM who was very knowledgable about Memory Maker. Here is what I learned:
As the Disney quote stated, if I am the one who is assigned the Memory Maker entitlement then I will be able to see and download photos of anyone who is linked to my MDE as family/friend. I will see all the photos that have been attached to their MagicBands, even if they are not with me. The exception is attraction photos, which are still using the old Attraction+ system. If I want to see and download attraction photos of family/friends not with me then they will need to have a Memory Maker card to capture those photos and I can then attach that card to my account. I can get the Memory Maker card at ticket windows with the Memory Maker Will Call number I received when I bought Memory Maker online.
I think that the Moms Panel info is not quite correct. I feel much better now. Hopefully all will go smoothly!

I just called Disney and spoke with a CM who was very knowledgable about Memory Maker. Here is what I learned:
As the Disney quote stated, if I am the one who is assigned the Memory Maker entitlement then I will be able to see and download photos of anyone who is linked to my MDE as family/friend. I will see all the photos that have been attached to their MagicBands, even if they are not with me. The exception is attraction photos, which are still using the old Attraction+ system. If I want to see and download attraction photos of family/friends not with me then they will need to have a Memory Maker card to capture those photos and I can then attach that card to my account. I can get the Memory Maker card at ticket windows with the Memory Maker Will Call number I received when I bought Memory Maker online.
I think that the Moms Panel info is not quite correct. I feel much better now. Hopefully all will go smoothly!

That's wonderful! I've got my fingers crossed that it goes smooth for those of you that are using it soon!

Unless they have fundamentally changed the MM system in the last two weeks, I'm not sure what that CM was talking about when they told you that you could get a MM "card" for anybody in your party. I have ALWAYS been told it was ONE "MAGIC" band and ONLY one "MAGIC" band for MM (nothing to do with MB other than it is the carrier).

Disney does not want large groups (like the Brazilian tour groups) buying one MM and taking thousands of pictures and getting them for $150. MM is designed for families and small groups so that it is fair to everyone (including Disney). That's why they limit it to one band and make that band be present.

Can you still link old PP ride photos the old way? Sure, but they are few and far between. Always were. That was a Photopass thing and had nothing to do with MM. The true magic of MM is that basically any photo taken by any Disney PP photographer anywhere can be linked to the ONE MM account holder if he or she and that band are present (whether they are in the photo or not).

It's just the way it works and it's just that simple. It won't be modified (unless there is a fundamental change in the whole reason for its being). It is what it is by design.

If it's different and you find out it is, please report back here with confirmation because this would be a new and fundamental/major change to the MM system.

Unless they have fundamentally changed the MM system in the last two weeks, I'm not sure what that CM was talking about when they told you that you could get a MM "card" for anybody in your party. I have ALWAYS been told it was ONE "MAGIC" band and ONLY one "MAGIC" band for MM (nothing to do with MB other than it is the carrier).

Disney does not want large groups (like the Brazilian tour groups) buying one MM and taking thousands of pictures and getting them for $150. MM is designed for families and small groups so that it is fair to everyone (including Disney). That's why they limit it to one band and make that band be present.

Can you still link old PP ride photos the old way? Sure, but they are few and far between. Always were. The true magic of MM is that basically any photo taken by any Disney PP photographer anywhere can be linked to the ONE MM account holder if he or she and that band are present (whether they are in the photo or not).

It's just the way it works and it's just that simple. It won't be modified (unless there is a fundamental change in the whole reason for its being). It is what it is by design.

If it's different and you find out it is, please report back here with confirmation because this would be a new and fundamental/major change to the MM system.

My response above says MM card--singular. I am the assigned MM person in our group of 4. DH has medical problems and does not do too much in the parks anymore so we will not be with DD and DGGD much of the time. I will pick up the MM card and give it to DD to use and DH and I will use my MagicBand. That is what the CM told me to do so we will see how it works out. I guess a few phone photos would be a good backup idea.

I have done this. All they have to do is allow the person who is doing the downloading to see their pictures and they will show up for download. It is on your magicband, no cards anymore. We did this is Feb and it worked perfectly except for lost pictures with were on my magicband and I was the MM purchaser so it had nothing to do with multiple families. I have ride photos of family when I wasn't even in the same park. It's all on the MB now. You can get cards if you want them and they gave us a card of all the pictures taken at story time with Belle. They just have to allow friends to see photos and they will show up in your MM+ view photos area. It's really easy. My son did all 4 parks in one day and got his picture taken in each park. I have those photos and I was at the pool.

I was about to book the Feel the Force dessert party and it states you will receive a photopass card for your pictures. If you go to photopass, you can link your photos to a memory maker account. It still looks like you could have one download of everyone's pictures if you use the photopass cards. They are also using photopass cards at the meet and greet places. There is a list of places you can get a photopass card in the parks too. That seems like an easy way to put them all on one memory maker account.

I'm just going to throw my experience out there, because I just used MM in February.

I purchased the MM package online in February. When I got to the park, I didn't have to "activate" anything or go and get a card. I simply scanned my MB.

I assigned myself as the primary account holder for MM. However, what I discovered that this means, is that I'm the only one that can download pics because they have to send a license to you giving you the rights to the pics. They can only send the rights to one person.

I had myself, my DH, my father and brother all under my account. My mom, and my SIL have their own accounts. We are all linked. We were ALL able to scan our bands for MM pictures, INCLUDING attraction pictures, and I could see all of them in my account. As long as you are linked in MDE, you should be able to see everyone's pictures.

**WilsonFlyer** I understand what you're saying about the large tour groups, but we were only 8 people. I was not with my parents and SIL and brother and they scanned their MBs and got ride photos from Dinosaur and Everest without me being there.

Again, this was my experience in February, I didn't get any information from a CM etc. My experience. I have no reason to believe that this isn't how it works for everyone. I would expect it to work the same way if I go back.

I didn't download any pictures until I got back home.

Hope that helps.

I'm just going to throw my experience out there, because I just used MM in February. I purchased the MM package online in February. When I got to the park, I didn't have to "activate" anything or go and get a card. I simply scanned my MB. I assigned myself as the primary account holder for MM. However, what I discovered that this means, is that I'm the only one that can download pics because they have to send a license to you giving you the rights to the pics. They can only send the rights to one person. I had myself, my DH, my father and brother all under my account. My mom, and my SIL have their own accounts. We are all linked. We were ALL able to scan our bands for MM pictures, INCLUDING attraction pictures, and I could see all of them in my account. As long as you are linked in MDE, you should be able to see everyone's pictures. Again, this was my experience in February, I didn't get any information from a CM etc. My experience. I have no reason to believe that this isn't how it works for everyone. I would expect it to work the same way if I go back. I didn't download any pictures until I got back home. Hope that helps.
That's how it worked for me also. The first picture in the download is the release. I downloaded to my computer, my brothers computer and my dad's computer. But my account is the only one that can download. So I just signed in on their computers and downloaded. Easy peasy.

That's how it worked for me also. The first picture in the download is the release. I downloaded to my computer, my brothers computer and my dad's computer. But my account is the only one that can download. So I just signed in on their computers and downloaded. Easy peasy.

Yes, exactly. I gave my mom my sign in information and she was able to download to her computer, from my account.

ALSO.... what I noticed when I did the first download, is THAT is when your 30 days starts. Not from the first day you take pictures. Which seems strange to me and I think they will eventually figure that out and "fix" that.

I started using in February. I also went back at the end of March (outside 30 days from the fist day I went in February). Took pics in March.

I didn't download any pictures till after this March trip because I wanted to get them all on the same MM purchase, and it worked!

When I went to DL the pics in March, it alerted me that my 30 days to gather and collect pictures started from that date. I thought that was interesting.

I could be wrong. I know a little about MBs (;)) but I Admit I don't know anything formally about MM except that it was always supposed to be ONE magic band or card (MB intentionally not capitalized).

I guess the "acid test" is if anyone knows of a pic that was added to MM without the aid of the "one" MB bracelet or card that was done with a linked band from a ride where previously, the ride picture could only be PURCHASED (granted printed or later purchased and digitally linked to any PP). Space Mountain is a good example. My understanding has always been that Space pictures could only be activated (again, without PAYING for it) to a MM account with that one magic band or the MM card. Does anybody know whether they have a verifiable exception to this? If so, the whole thing's up in the air and the rules have changed.

That's all I can tell you.

I could be wrong. I know a little about MBs (;)) but I Admit I don't know anything formally about MM except that it was always supposed to be ONE magic band or card (MB intentionally not capitalized). I guess the "acid test" is if anyone knows of a pic that was added to MM without the aid of the "one" MB bracelet or card that was done with a linked band from a ride where previously, the ride picture could only be PURCHASED (granted printed or later purchased and digitally linked to any PP). Space Mountain is a good example. My understanding has always been that Space pictures could only be activated (again, without PAYING for it) to a MM account with that one magic band or the MM card. Does anybody know whether they have a verifiable exception to this? If so, the whole thing's up in the air and the rules have changed. That's all I can tell you.
I don't ride space. I have 7 pictures of family members on space that I didn't put on my band and mine was the band. In at least 3 of them I wasn't even in the same park and in 1 I wasn't even on property. I also have a picture of my nephew on tower of terror that I was sleeping in the room when and one of my brother on rock u roll that I was eating lunch when he rode. Both were loaded to the riders mb and loaded to my account thru allow friends and family to view and purchase my pictures on mymagic. I used the product and have downloaded all my pictures. This is also how it was explained to me when I called.

I don't ride space. I have 7 pictures of family members on space that I didn't put on my band and mine was the band. In at least 3 of them I wasn't even in the same park and in 1 I wasn't even on property. I also have a picture of my nephew on tower of terror that I was sleeping in the room when and one of my brother on rock u roll that I was eating lunch when he rode. Both were loaded to the riders mb and loaded to my account thru allow friends and family to view and purchase my pictures on mymagic. I used the product and have downloaded all my pictures. This is also how it was explained to me when I called.

Well this is even better if the ride photos are loading to anyone's MagicBand. Were all of the people getting ride photos in the same room? I don't know if having separate room reservations makes any difference.

Well this is even better if the ride photos are loading to anyone's MagicBand. Were all of the people getting ride photos in the same room? I don't know if having separate room reservations makes any difference.
No they were not in the room. As long as the person who has the picture loaded to the band in on your friends and family list and allows you access to their pictures it works. Some of my family was in a different resort then I was.

No they were not in the room. As long as the person who has the picture loaded to the band in on your friends and family list and allows you access to their pictures it works. Some of my family was in a different resort then I was.

Fantastic! Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter