• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Memory maker explained to me??

kirsti o

Mouseketeer
Hi
When looking in here and on the my magic app I keep seeing things about the memory maker!
But I'm confused!

Do I just buy one for the whole group?

There is 14 of us:
Me, my husband and our kids
My brother, SIL and their child
My parents!

So how does it work?
Do we buy one per family or can we share?
If we split and go to different parks can only one use it?

All of our disney dining and bookings are linked in magic app so how does that work with memory maker?

And what about bands? I keep seeing it say I can upgrade to bands but what's the benefit in this??
Do I lose anything by not having it?
And can we buy one band and still have the memory maker card so of we split up we have two options for pictures?
Please can someone explain in simple terms?
My head is spinning

As long as everyone is linked to you in MDE, then you only need to buy Memory Maker once and pictures from everyone else's scanned bands or tickets will come through to you.

Advantage of MagicBands is that ride photos appear automatically, you don't need to tap your ticket to the reader at the end. But a band is $12.95

Others know much more than me though!

Ok so we used this last Christmas and it was one of the best purchases we made!
I will try and answer your questions below:

There is 14 of us:
Me, my husband and our kids
My brother, SIL and their child
My parents!

So how does it work?
Do we buy one per family or can we share?

In my Disney experience link all of your party to your account, if they are not linked send them an invitation and they will show up as part of your group, you can book fast-passes for all of you together this way too.
When you purchase memory maker it links to your account and so anyone in your group on your account will be able to use the one memory maker.
While in the parks you see many photo pass photographers and just ask them to take your picture and they scan your magic band and it automatically syncs to to your account.

If we split and go to different parks can only one use it?
No, anyone linked can go to a photopass photographer at any location and have their picture taken, once their band/card is scanned it will sync to your account.
Here is an example, If I was on Main St at Magic Kingdom having pictures taken and my mum was in Epcot doing the same thing it would all sync when our bands were scanned as our accounts are linked.

All of our disney dining and bookings are linked in magic app so how does that work with memory maker?
Memory maker will also be linked and you can see all of your photos when you log on, sometimes this may take 24 hours at peak times.

And what about bands? I keep seeing it say I can upgrade to bands but what's the benefit in this??
Do I lose anything by not having it?
I stayed partly off site and used the photopass card at first and then when I was onsite I used a magic band both were linked to my account. I personally found the band easier and also if there is a big group of you it would probably be useful to have multiple devices. The magic bands automatically sync ride photos without you having to do anything and the ease of having a band is just simpler than having to produce a card each time. However I can understand that not wanting to purchase mulitple bands may be an issue cost wise. I think you need to consider how many people are likely to split up and how many are going to stay together as to how many bands you would need as if you had one band and wanted multiple photos it could get complicated. If you want to use the photopass card only one of you could use this, but photographers can hand other members of your groups (if you did split up) a paper card to link the pictures to your account but if you are not tech savvy and this happens a lot again this could be complicated. If you do this I would go to the photopass viewing offices a couple of times within your stay and you can view pictures and they can help you sync them if you have multiple cards and ensure all the pictures are there. I would suggest visiting the viewing station at least once in your trip anyway to make sure your pictures and magic shots are all there anyway.

And can we buy one band and still have the memory maker card so of we split up we have two options for pictures?
Yes, more detail above
Please can someone explain in simple terms?
My head is spinning

I am not sure how simple that is but have a look and if you want me to explain further I can!

A few tips:
Always ask for magic shots
There are more photographers around in the morning and evening as opposed to afternoons
sometimes a photographer will have a line at the most popular spots (main st etc) but there are always a few photographers around so if you walk to the next one or two normally there is much less of a line (I went at a peak time and never had to wait more than 5 minutes)
The photographers are great and I found saying hello and asking if they would mind taking my picture got me some great shots (rather than some people who seemed to just hand over a card and stand in front of them!)

Any questions, please ask!

Sorry for gatecrashing your post Kirsti.
This maybe a very silly question but do you have to then pay for these photos or do they get downloaded onto your 'account'(??) so that you can print them once home?

This maybe a very silly question but do you have to then pay for these photos or do they get downloaded onto your 'account'(??) so that you can print them once home?

photopass is the system that takes care of all the pictures taken at WDW

Memory Maker is a product which allows you to download EVERY picture you have taken during your vacations (as well as those you have edited)
Memory Maker is $169/$199 or free (included in 2016 UK tickets)

so if you have memory maker, you don't pay anything to download your pictures, as it's already been paid for (one way or the other)

when your back, download them all, store them on a key, memory card, or CD and go to any store printing pictures (or order prints online with photobox or whoever you usually print pictures with)

Very good information from PrincessLou :)

I pre-purchased memory maker and even though everyone is linked through mde we still weren't seeing all our photos once various groups split up. As a precaution the others used a MM card instead of their band, as I knew I could add the codes when we are back home (or they will do it for you at the photo kiosks). We all met up today and guest services synced our bands and had a look through our photos to check all were there - after 10 days we have racked up nearly 600 (!) photos. Great value if buying in a group, especially with ride and dining photos included, and even better if getting MM as part of a deal :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter