• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Memorial Day Weekend, What Parks?

sr6888

Earning My Ears
This is our first trip to WDW:hyper: I am going with my DH and DS's 7 and 11. We arrive on Thursday May 27th and leave on Thursday June 3rd. I have read the Unofficial Guide and bought a passporter, but I feel totally unprepared because of the weekend crowds. Do I follow the UG even on the holidays? We have the seven day UPS so I think we have plenty of time and are staying onsite which helps. Any suggestions? Thanks!!:D

We just plan to go and have fun! (we'll be there May 28-June7 - all 10 of us, including 5 adults, 5 kids ages 7-10). I know Mem. WE might be crowded, but I'm so excited to be there I just don't care. We're even doomed (just kidding) to visit MK Sat., the 29th, just because it's our first day, and because I can't imagine any other park to begin with at Disney, I don't care. After all, how can I complain when I'm actually at Disney? I know I'll love the magic, no matter how many thousands I have to share it with!

My suggestion is to just let your kids set the pace. No hurries, running from ride to ride, etc. If they want to stop and run through the water fountains, let them. If the lines are too long, head somewhere else. There's nothing you absolutely have to do, no ride that your vacation experience would be incomplete without. On the reverse, if you have to ride something, the line is long, bring surprises (I have dollar-store bubble stuff, etc. for line entertainment). Or grab an ice cream to enjoy while you wait.

And when they're tired, head back to the hotel pools and relax. You'll get so much more out of your vacation that way. I feel bad for the families that drag the tired kids throughout the park, some wailing, just so they can be sure to see and do everything. Afterall, you have a lifetime to enjoy Disney, right?

You are so right!! I have been so worried, but I know we will have plenty of time to see what we want to see. We are going for seven days so we can relax a little and not run so much. Thanks, you really put it all into perspective :)

Originally posted by sr6888
This is our first trip to WDW:hyper: I am going with my DH and DS's 7 and 11. We arrive on Thursday May 27th and leave on Thursday June 3rd. I have read the Unofficial Guide and bought a passporter, but I feel totally unprepared because of the weekend crowds. Do I follow the UG even on the holidays? We have the seven day UPS so I think we have plenty of time and are staying onsite which helps. Any suggestions? Thanks!!:D

I guess I have a different response than mbelec, but I am a different type of guest -- I'm one of those commandos that goes ride to ride!! (i also don't have kids!) But in response to your question: "Do I follow the UG even on the holidays?" I think that is the MOST IMPORTANT time to use the UG because it IS so crowded. Len may be best to answer but using the UG touring plans during the busiest times is when you get the most use... the plans are less important when the park is slow.

Just my two cents!

My advice is to avoid MK on the weekend (and Mon) and you'll be fine. We were at Epcot on Thanksgiving Day and you would never have known that it was a holiday!

Following the toruing plans is good, but can be a little stressful.

Here's a basic plan that ALWAYS works for us:

Get to parks 1hr before opening . Stand in front of an empty turnsilte. They open them all.

Hit all your must-sees in the AM.

Eat lunch EARLY. The counter service places are empty right at 11:30.

Take a pool/nap breeak about 12 or 1. A good rule of thumb is to leave BEFORE you get tired.

Return to the parks about 4 or 5. You will be walking in refreshed, while hoards are leaving (looking very sweaty and crabby).

This works for us over hoilday weekends. It will be very hot-bring squeeze breeze to the parks and water!

We're there May 28th - June 5th too! This will be our third trip this year, so we are going to be moving at a slower pace. MK is crowded most all the time, just go early in the am and do your top picks first and get Fastpasses. We always have an early lunch and then plan to leave around 1:00 when the lines get huge. With 7 days, you should be able to do most everything you want to do with alittle planning.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think you are right CanadaPT, what was I thinking, the UG is meant to help at the busiest times. Thank goodness we have seven days so we can do the MK two day plan. I am feeling better, less stressed and more excited. What are vacations for?!

Now I just have to pray that all the crops are in the field before we leave!! :rolleyes:

We will be there may 29-june 12. We are going to hit MGM Sunday to see some of the Star Wars stuff but Monday is just going to be a pool/relax day for us.
However if we were hitting the parks, I think the UG plans would be the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter