Memorial Day or Easter

chocolateavocado

DIS Veteran
If your only choices to get a trip in this year were Memorial Day or Easter - considering better weather (swimming weather but not too hot/humid- hence why we can't do summer) & crowds (expecting both will be really busy)- which would you choose?

Easter ds would miss no school, have 5 nights there- early flight in and late flight out and have the we return home off from school as well. Resort rates are extremly high & we'd prob need to do a moderate or split stay.

Memorial Day- ds would need to miss 2 or 3 days of school and would have only 4 nights there. Resort rates are much lower - we got a pin for up to 35% off.

WWYD? :)

We've been during Easter a few times. Both times will be crowded, both will be hot. May probably more so. I guess it just depends on your budget and missing school.

I'd choose Memorial Day--the combination of saving money and smaller crowds would make it an easy choice for us. And your daughter is still young (based on your signature!) that it's not really a big deal for her to miss school for a few days.

To be fair, we prefer going when it's not crowded, so I'm biased against the crowds. If the hotel rates are cheaper for Memorial Day then the resorts & transportation will likely be less crowded than at Easter. The parks may end up being crowded on the Memorial Day weekend with the local visitors, but you can plan to be at the parks early and then have a quiet afternoon at your resort before going back to the parks for the evening.

Thank you both for your comments / opinions!

do you know how much of a difference there might be weather wise between the 2 times - early April vs late May?

I'm sorry for all of the questions - I just keep second guessing myself and decisions. Disney's a big deal for us (and i suppose for most! ;)) and I just want to make the most out of it. Thanks everyone! :goodvibes

Not sure if you can predict the difference at this point. Both are warm but if you get a cold snap or a heat wave it could go either way. So May could be warmer or colder than April, and vice versa.

If I had to choose, I would say Memorial Day would be hotter. Spring/Easter break is warm during the day, but when we went the last week of June one year it was so hot and humid, even at 8:30am.

If your only choices to get a trip in this year were Memorial Day or Easter - considering better weather (swimming weather but not too hot/humid- hence why we can't do summer) & crowds (expecting both will be really busy)- which would you choose?

Easter ds would miss no school, have 5 nights there- early flight in and late flight out and have the we return home off from school as well. Resort rates are extremly high & we'd prob need to do a moderate or split stay.

Memorial Day- ds would need to miss 2 or 3 days of school and would have only 4 nights there. Resort rates are much lower - we got a pin for up to 35% off.

WWYD? :)

If you are talking about Easter week...I wouldn't want to go at that time. Ever. It is one of the most crowded times of the year! However, If your spring break is a couple weeks before or after Easter...it could be much less crowded than Easter week.

We went March 28 - April 3 this year. 3 weeks before Easter. Our March week was awesome and not crazy crowded. But reports showed the very next week were much more crowded. That was the week Central Florida had break.

Have you looked at a crowd predictor website like Touring Plans? We find it to be pretty accurate.

I pull my kids out of school to avoid crowds.

It will be hot either way. My vote for you is Memorial Day weekend.

If you are talking about Easter week...I wouldn't want to go at that time. Ever. It is one of the most crowded times of the year! However, If your spring break is a couple weeks before or after Easter...it could be much less crowded than Easter week.

We went March 28 - April 3 this year. 3 weeks before Easter. Our March week was awesome and not crazy crowded. But reports showed the very next week were much more crowded. That was the week Central Florida had break.

Have you looked at a crowd predictor website like Touring Plans? We find it to be pretty accurate.

I pull my kids out of school to avoid crowds.

It will be hot either way. My vote for you is Memorial Day weekend.

Hi,
Yes, We're trying to decide between the actual week of Easter 4/1 - 4/6 or Memorial Day weekend (prob 5/20-5/25 or right around those dates).
I checked your 1st visit & they have Easter dates between 10 & 11 for crowds and Memorial Day for a 9. :worried: I know neither time is ideal- unfortunately those are the only 2 choices we have if we want to go this year.

My ds is in Catholic school & is receiving the sacraments this year (1st reconciliation in Feb & 1st communion in early May). There are alot of mandatory practices, activities, a retreat, etc leading up to the actual dates that can not be missed. Looking at the school calendar, we get enough time off over Easter to go & not miss anything mandatory or Memorial Day we get 1 day off school (sacraments are finished) and ds would have to miss 2 or 3 days of school- which I'm a little nervous about but there's only about 3 wks of school left at that point. I wish I could pick other dates, as these are far from ideal, BUT we really want to go back and will find a way to make one of them work---trying to decide which would be the better of the two.
Thanks for your opinion & help!! :)

We went to WDW during Easter 2014. We did not encounter any crowds, had no problem getting BLT reservations, etc. We too thought Easter was one of the busiest times to go - not sure what happened to all the people this year. However, we are booked for Easter 2015 and had a terrible time getting into BLT which is our Home Resort. We also had lots of trouble getting ADRs. Plus the airfare was pretty hefty as opposed to what we paid this year. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we don't have too much trouble with crowds in April. We will be there Good Friday through the following Saturday.

We went to WDW during Easter 2014. We did not encounter any crowds, had no problem getting BLT reservations, etc. We too thought Easter was one of the busiest times to go - not sure what happened to all the people this year. However, we are booked for Easter 2015 and had a terrible time getting into BLT which is our Home Resort. We also had lots of trouble getting ADRs. Plus the airfare was pretty hefty as opposed to what we paid this year. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we don't have too much trouble with crowds in April. We will be there Good Friday through the following Saturday.

Great to hear that crowds weren't so bad last year :goodvibes
I was able to get all of the adrs we wanted, but I hear you on the airfare. :sick:
For the 3 of us for the Easter trip, airfare is approx $1600 - just coming from PA. For the Memorial Day trip it's be about $1175.
We have a pin that would include Memorial Day, which depending on what resort we would choose, could be a difference of approx up to $1300 - $1600 less for Memorial Day vs full rack for Easter- so all in all, Memorial Day trip would save around $1600 - $2000..... :confused3 It seems like a no brainer, just nervous about the hotter weather and ds missing a few days of school....

We were at wdw this year from the thurs before memorial day until the friday after memorial day and we loved it! It was hot, however not as bad as we had expected. The crowd was nowhere near as bad as we were expecting. We used touring plans and most days were rated 8-9. We thought they were closer to 5-6's. Like i said we loved memorial day week and we are planning our 2016 trip for this same week. Hope this helps you! Dont be afraid!

We were at wdw this year from the thurs before memorial day until the friday after memorial day and we loved it! It was hot, however not as bad as we had expected. The crowd was nowhere near as bad as we were expecting. We used touring plans and most days were rated 8-9. We thought they were closer to 5-6's. Like i said we loved memorial day week and we are planning our 2016 trip for this same week. Hope this helps you! Dont be afraid!

Thank you!! So happy to hear you had a great trip! :goodvibes
It's Disney - I'm sure it'll be wonderful :)

Great to hear that crowds weren't so bad last year :goodvibes
I was able to get all of the adrs we wanted, but I hear you on the airfare. :sick:
For the 3 of us for the Easter trip, airfare is approx $1600 - just coming from PA. For the Memorial Day trip it's be about $1175.
We have a pin that would include Memorial Day, which depending on what resort we would choose, could be a difference of approx up to $1300 - $1600 less for Memorial Day vs full rack for Easter- so all in all, Memorial Day trip would save around $1600 - $2000..... :confused3 It seems like a no brainer, just nervous about the hotter weather and ds missing a few days of school....

We will be coming from Philadelphia and for 6 of us $1900. I was going to try and hold out for a while waiting for the lower fares that will never come, but once I get on a roll in booking everything, I want it all done. We are the grandparents treating our 2 grandchildren, my daugher and son-in-law. Our 6 year old granddaughter will only miss 4 days of school, but as a 1st grader she won't have a problem. Our grandson is only 2, so no problem there. This past Easter when we went, it was pretty hot and humid, but as long as you expect it and pack for it, it isn't a problem. Just schedule those pool days and get to the parks early so you can spend the afternoon back at the resort. We are so looking forward to Easter!

We will be coming from Philadelphia and for 6 of us $1900. I was going to try and hold out for a while waiting for the lower fares that will never come, but once I get on a roll in booking everything, I want it all done. We are the grandparents treating our 2 grandchildren, my daugher and son-in-law. Our 6 year old granddaughter will only miss 4 days of school, but as a 1st grader she won't have a problem. Our grandson is only 2, so no problem there. This past Easter when we went, it was pretty hot and humid, but as long as you expect it and pack for it, it isn't a problem. Just schedule those pool days and get to the parks early so you can spend the afternoon back at the resort. We are so looking forward to Easter!

If we do Easter my son wouldn't have to miss any school- if we do Memorial Day, he would miss 3 days of school...he's in 2nd grade. I'm liking the idea of Easter a little better, it's just so hard to commit with such a huge difference in price. When I called to get a quote for Memorial Day trip w/the pin- The CM quoted a little over $3700 for the Grand Floridian with park hoppers & water park option tickets and trip insurance included. The same trip over Easter would be over $5500 (not including air of course)- which is not something we want to spend so it'd need to be CSR or CBR for Easter..... Decisions, decisions.... :dance3:

When I called to get a quote for Memorial Day trip w/the pin- The CM quoted a little over $3700 for the Grand Floridian with park hoppers & water park option tickets and trip insurance included. The same trip over Easter would be over $5500 (not including air of course)- which is not something we want to spend so it'd need to be CSR or CBR for Easter..... Decisions, decisions.... :dance3:

I think that sounds like a very good price for the GF! We've never been over Easter and the latest we've been in May is the 17th. Love the weather, a couple days it was 90 with NO humidity which made all the difference. The last day the humidity set in and it was quite jarring. However, after going this past Aug. for what was my first summer trip in 23 years, I can say May was NOTHING AT ALL like the summer lol!!!

As for school.......people will totally disagree with me but for 2nd grade, I don't feel missing those few days will matter. Both my kids have missed a week (one year two) from K through last year (2nd and 6th) with no problems. The only difference was that they attend public school. So depending on your DS's schools' policy on absence, I wouldn't worry about that, especially if he's doing well :thumbsup2

Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday of Memorial Day weekend will be packed but the days before and after that won't be quite as bad. Easter week is crowded for the whole duration.

Hotter, more humid weather around Memorial Day. Longer daylight hours in late May as well.

I think that sounds like a very good price for the GF! We've never been over Easter and the latest we've been in May is the 17th. Love the weather, a couple days it was 90 with NO humidity which made all the difference. The last day the humidity set in and it was quite jarring. However, after going this past Aug. for what was my first summer trip in 23 years, I can say May was NOTHING AT ALL like the summer lol!!!

As for school.......people will totally disagree with me but for 2nd grade, I don't feel missing those few days will matter. Both my kids have missed a week (one year two) from K through last year (2nd and 6th) with no problems. The only difference was that they attend public school. So depending on your DS's schools' policy on absence, I wouldn't worry about that, especially if he's doing well :thumbsup2

There's nooooo way we'd ever be able to do august heat! You are quite brave!!

I took ds out of school for 3 days last year for our trip to disney & he had no problems at all. The school would be ok with it - it's just they do soooo much work/ this year is certainly quite intense. My ds missed 3 hours one morning this year for a doctor's appt..... the work he missed in school that morning (that we did that night for homework)--- 13 pages of work! ugh.... I can only imagine what 3 days worth would look like. But honestly, more than that (because he is straight A's and I know he'd have no problems catching up) is the weather that I'm most nervous of....especially high humidity.

I saw in your signature you stayed at CSR this past summer. What did you think of it? If we go over Easter we may do a split stay to try to save some money and are considering CSR and CBR. Did you like CSR / did you mind the size of it?

Hope your next trip is amazing!! :goodvibes

Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday of Memorial Day weekend will be packed but the days before and after that won't be quite as bad. Easter week is crowded for the whole duration.

Hotter, more humid weather around Memorial Day. Longer daylight hours in late May as well.

Thanks for this info! :)

The hotter, more humid weather for Memorial Day is what's got me leaning towards Easter even though the prices are crazy high and will be busy.....

:goodvibes
There's nooooo way we'd ever be able to do august heat! You are quite brave!!

I took ds out of school for 3 days last year for our trip to disney & he had no problems at all. The school would be ok with it - it's just they do soooo much work/ this year is certainly quite intense. My ds missed 3 hours one morning this year for a doctor's appt..... the work he missed in school that morning (that we did that night for homework)--- 13 pages of work! ugh.... I can only imagine what 3 days worth would look like. But honestly, more than that (because he is straight A's and I know he'd have no problems catching up) is the weather that I'm most nervous of....especially high humidity.

I saw in your signature you stayed at CSR this past summer. What did you think of it? If we go over Easter we may do a split stay to try to save some money and are considering CSR and CBR. Did you like CSR / did you mind the size of it?

Hope your next trip is amazing!! :goodvibes

Ha! I DESPISE the heat:headache: I do not venture outside once the temp is over 78 degrees. I have the a/c on in the house and my car from early April through October. I hate, hate, HATE to sweat!! However-
I LOVE Disney:love: Since older DS was in kindergarten, we've taken our boys out of school one or two weeks a year for Disney trips. However, now that older DS is in jr. high, I realized those days are over:sad1:. I refuse to go over Xmas and since DH hates crowds, I don't think Spring Break is an option. So, I bit the bullet and planned that summer trip! And to tell you the truth, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! Yes, my makeup was a wreck and my hair was 10x bigger than normal b/c of the humidity, but we all had fun:goodvibes. I won't lie though, it was a different type of trip due to the heat. I wouldn't rule out going again, but I'm not anxious to plan a summer 2015 trip either.........

As for CSR, we all loved it! I was concerned about the size but it was fine. Regardless of section you're in, you end up close to something important and having to walk to something. We were in casitas 4 (great). About 4-5 minutes walk to El Centro, quiet pool right outside our room, and no more than 10 minutes to main pool. From Ranchos, like 4-5 minutes to main pool and 10 to El Centro; a bus stop in each section. Grounds are beautiful, too! Bus service was excellent as was the TS restaurant there, Maya Grill. The food court was fine, no better or worse than that at POFQ which is the only other mod we've stayed at. We like it there but much prefer CSR even though FQ is smaller!

Wherever you decide to stay and whenever you decide to go, have a wonderful trip!!!

I live in Houston for what its worth, but I would prefer Memorial Day. Early April highs in Florida average in the low 80s, Memorial Day highs average 90. I would worry about a late front making a bit coolish for swimming (again YMMV). But if swimming is paramount, Memorial Day will be consistently warm, but not near max summer temps.
We went 2nd week of June this past year and didn't find the heat terrible then at all.

We're book for 3rd week of August next year...now that may even make even this thin blooded girl melt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter