Members ages at OKW? SSHHHH, we won't tell!!

Age, and your opinion! Let it out!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
with the majority winning instead of whining

Or, if they'd allow us some wining (with cheese) we'd be so happy we wouldn't care!! :D :D :D

Gail, care to join me in starting a campaign to bring a pub with entertainment (like the Green Cabin Room) to OKW? That's another difference between the DVC's we should address. ;) ;)

I am with you on that one Pam, as long as it is adults only.
Sure beats the tar out of the thought of a food court.

Originally posted by jctwizzer
Which may lead to the question, if you don't like the pool, why did you buy there??:confused:

jctwizzer-
I see we are both from Saint Louis!
Actually I did not buy at OKW for this very reason...I own at BWV. But we did have to stay at OKW because nothing else was available and for my family it just did not meet our WDW expectations...Since our first visit to YC/BC my kids think WDW resort hotels mean cool pools. And even though I don't have nor should I have any "say" in what OKW does, I do have an interest for many of the reasons stated here and on the other poolhopping threads. Sometimes OKW is the only available resort-- it would be nice if the pool at the resort were up to the rest of WDW standards. Plus with the lower point requirements, maybe OKW stays would be our first choice -if we could be satisfied with the pool-which we are not...And if pool hopping ends at SAB it could have a negative effect on BWV, my home, which might be less if OKW offered a pool with more pizzazz and broader appeal.

Also-
Originally posted by PamOKW OKW wants to prove we're not a bunch of crotchety old, no fun, child hating people as we are being portrayed on the boards. We're the same ages as the rest of you

From the numbers it looks like OKW members are NOT the same age as the rest of us- OKW has about twice the percentage of people clicking in over 50 as compared to BWV and 3 times as many as at VWL (by most recent check on the numbers)...Hey, maybe Disney knew what they were doing naming it OLD key west.:p Anybody who thinks over 50 should not be considered old should take it up with the AARP -which starts seniors discounts for members at age 55, I believe...

And from many of the comments about kids and fun at the pools, I must say many do come across as you describe, unfortunately. Some want the pool to be quiet, heaven forbid anybody feel like they were having enough fun that they might squeal with delight. Too rambunctious!...give me a break, we are not talking about Boomboxes blaring here, people are objecting to the laughter and squeals of children enjoying life...sorry, maybe they don't mean it to, but that comes across as old, crochety, and child-hating. If that is what they meant, well, thank goodness there is room enough in this world (and WDW) for everyone...

Young at heart (even if I did just turn one of the F-words last year)

Paul
just to be clear--- that F word is forty

DH & I are in the 30-40 group and we like it just as it is. We squeaked in under the wire and bought OKW just before it sold out fall of 2000. Not to be mean and I'm not a kid hater but we don't have kids and I have to admit I enjoy the quietness of OKW. What children we have seen there are usually very well behaved. I've don't have any complaints.

Cheryl

For some reason I can't get my vote to register---keep getting an error message. Anyway, I'm 35, my dh is 38 and we joined DVC back in '93. At that time we didn't have any children, so our needs were different. I can see us doing more pool hopping over the next few years with our little girl (and maybe a sibling). We also go over to the food court at DXL (not sure if the food court is up and running at Port Orleans with all the changes). My husband and I love OKW, but I can see where kids would want more action (pools with all the bells and whistles, etc). Maybe we'll cross over to the dark side (aka Boardwalk) occasionally...

it looks like OKW members are NOT the same age as the rest of us

Of course our polls don't really show anything, but we've got to look at percentage of each group rather than total numbers since OKW is so much larger than the other two resorts. We also didn't get our "Under 30" category. ;)

as far as Disney changing things at the DVC resorts at WDW - why don't they have VCR in the studios - the other timeshares in the Orlando area do - why - they don't have too.

the VB studios and inn rooms do have a VCR. I don't know if HH has them in the studios.

So forget the DVD it is not going to happen - well I don't think so.

As far as the ages - go - of course their are young people are OKW - you what do you think they have the adventure choices for - Disney did a survery back in the early 90's and got a surprise the average age for DVC (okw) was in the early 30's - for most timeshares it is in the late 60's.

WOW,
I can't believe some of the comments..... "make it adults only",
"the kids at the pool were well behaved", "a quite place to rest"(go to your room) etc, etc....
Last time I checked, I thought Disney was for children, and families.....Sure, I like well behaved kids...I teach my kids to behave and respect everyone, not just there elders.....but all people....
Wow!
I've traveled to Disney w/ out the kids, and never stopped WISHING that they were w/ us.
Let's just make OKW......ADULTS ONLY..... wouldn't that be fun!!!! NOT!!!
A food court does not make it a mall......Disney has a lot of resorts w/ a small food court area....Is Wilderness Lodge, Swan & Dolphin Hotel, etc. a mall? They have a food court area? I'm not talking about a large food court area, but a small area where you can get a burger, hot dog, pizza, etc.
My wife does not want to run in and cook every time one of the kids wants to eat.
It just gives a place to grab a quick bite........

dtheboys- I think you see we are learning a lot about OKW here. I think we are seeing a true sentiment to make it a more Adults ONLY resort...at least some are being honest about it so we can see exactly what it is people are talking about rather than talking around the issue. ...Maybe the reason my family were not satisfied with our OKW stay was not just the "quiet" pool, but the "Del Boca Vista" attitude we have seen expressed here. (that is a Seinfeld reference to the unaware)..Please no angry defenders of OKW- your enjoyment of OKW has no impact on others finding it lacking, just as our disappointment should not affect your enjoyment. What is a shame is that sometimes people are forced to stay where they don't want to- and more often than not- that means OKW.after all, how many people complain of being unable to get into OKW so they had to settle for BWV or WLV? I have never seen it mentioned on these boards.)

PamOKW- I know these surveys are not necessarily accurate, heck maybe there are even more old folks out there who haven't even figured out how to use a computer yet-;) Still I don't see where you come to the conclusion that OKW members are the same age as the rest of us. The only evidence we have is the evidence to the contrary on these polls. The under 30 folks could write in -None have. and on the other polls they account for a small fraction, not enough to explain the disparity in age breakdowns. A much larger percentage of the OKW people appear to be seasoned citizens. I was looking at the percentages not the total numbers. About 9% of WLV folks were above 50, about 14% of BWV folks were above 50 and about 28% of OKW folks were above 50. As a resort representing a Florida location that seems appropriate.:smooth: Florida is about 25% "elderly," too. Given that OKW has a bigger group AND a bigger percentage that makes for a lot of older folks looking for a resort to reflect "older" interests....

It is a shame that for many older folks the interest is in excluding children and their sometimes loud and energetic approach to living. I hope I never think that way.

Paul

dtheboys
Last time I checked, I thought Disney was for children, and families...
No, actually it is not. If you look at Disney's marketing plan of late it has been targeting the "empty nesters", making us feel welcome, for a change. BTW, there are two areas at OKW for the snacks you mention. One is next to the Gurgling Suitcase and the other is at Turtle Pond. Both fit your description and I would not call the food courts.
I would not want to see OKW adults only, if I want adults only, couples only, I go to Jamaica.
Paul,
I find your lack of understanding about "empty nesters" or people without children, or people over 50 somewhat flippant. Perhaps when your children are grown and you face the other "f" in your life, you will understand what it is like to have paid your "dues" and enjoy just going on a vacation ...........alone and will enjoy the quiet peace that comes with it.

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
Paul,
I find your lack of understanding about "empty nesters" or people without children, or people over 50 somewhat flippant. Perhaps when your children are grown and you face the other "f" in your life, you will understand what it is like to have paid your "dues" and enjoy just going on a vacation ...........alone and will enjoy the quiet peace that comes with it.

Lack of understanding? I think your comments show that I understood it all too well...I still don't see how having one family pool in that huge OKW complex infringes on any other OKW person's chance for a quiet vacation.

...and I still hope I never think that excluding children and young people will enhance my life. (Young people can be good for you--look at Dick Clark!) :p :p :p

Paul

Just wanted to get my 2 little cents in. I am 33, DH is 28, 2 DDs are almost 6 and almost 4. We bought at OKW sight unseen because we did want a place to go that was a little more quiet, remote even (?) to get away from the craziness of the parks (much as we love them). We may find we pool hop as the girls get older, but waterslides and tubing are in abundance at the water parks, if that's what we're looking for that day. We leave for OKW next Friday for our first real trip home (stayed one night in Oct) and can't wait. We looked at OKW as being our oasis at WDW, a place that felt more like home than a hotel. I think we did the right thing buying there, maybe we'll have to add on another home as the girls become teens, who knows?! :)

Ok, since you understand, then we can all assume you are simply rude. (not an attack, just an observation)
Yes, excluding children or anyone under the age of 18 can be grounds for an excellent vacation. When my s/o and I desire that type of vacation, we head to Sandals in Jamaica. That, btw, is where only couple and adults can be, no children, no none couples. It is very enjoyable.
I found my children (and still do) to be the most precious people in the world, and also learned that not everyone found them to be so. Not everyone finds the sound of someone else's children to be music. We don't hate them or dislike them, we just don't find them to be as precious as you do.
That said, the members of OKW, through polls have decided that it is not in the best interest of OKW to put a slide and lifeguard at the pool. Simple. Easy to understand, I hope. No one forces you to stay there, it is your choice. If you don't like it, don't stay there. I don't find BWVs to be my cup of tea and I do doubt that I would stay there even if it was the only DVC accomodation available. There are other alternatives.

What is a shame is that sometimes people are forced to stay where they don't want to- and more often than not- that means OKW.

Forced?? I don't think so!! You had to call and make the reservation yourself. No one made it for you, drove you there and handcuffed you to the lighthouse. Your own free will got you there. The fact that you now choose to berate the resort and those who own there is somewhat hypocritcal, IMHO.

If the OKW resort was so bad and the pool so boring, why didn't you just hop over to the BWV and enjoy all the action there. I understand there is a wonderful clown pool there with a slide and DVC members are allowed to pool hop. That way you could have avoided all of the aged population at OKW you seem to disdain so much and kept your family happy at the same time.

It's become more clear, however, what agenda seems to be surfacing here. Instead of bashing OKW why not redirect some of your energy to calling earlier for a reservation at your home resort.

Jasmine your comments indicate you understand and appreciate the benefits of OKW. Especially as I spend more and more time at WDW, location isn't everything. If I want to get closer to the parks I can switch to another DVC or stay at another resort. And, I do enjoy being in the action sometimes....but most times I dream about watching the sunrise over the golf course and finding a blue heron on the course. That is Florida and that is vacation to me. Other people are in and out of their rooms so fast it doesn't matter where they are staying and that's how they love to spend their vacations...luckily we have choices.

Some of my favorite encounters at WDW have been with children the ages of your daughters who are so excited to tell where they've been and what they've seen that day. I think you'll make many memories at OKW.

One last time -- Paul, the poll indicates that 76% of OKW people are under 50. The results are similar for BWV and VWL. We are also talking about 300 responses out of 60,000+ members so it's pretty meaningless. It mostly says that the people who post here are between 30-60. We've had comments from many young families. Personally, I was surprised that the pool survey here came so close to reflecting the results from DVC's survey a few years ago. I thought there would be more demand for the slide.

Many people like OKW as it is. Even if we didn't, we cannot dictate what DVC management should do. We can make our opinions known but we don't get a vote. Hounding people here and berating their opinions won't change it either. Call Mr. Aguel and express your concern to him.

I agree with Gail and others here. WDW is very popular with children and families. However, it is also popular with singles, married childless couples, married empty nesters, gay couples, all kinds of people -- Black, White, Asian, Native American and even young and old....the appeal is worldwide. Disney does its best to provide atmosphere and activities for all.

If there is something you don't like and you want to make suggestions as to changes that's great. You've done that. I understand your idea to make some cosmetic changes to the pool. It's a good idea and one DVC should consider. Attacking the people who post on this board and insulting them if they do not travel with children or are over 50 is uncalled for. You'll also find older people at OKW because in the beginning it was pretty darn expensive -- there were no 150 point packages -- and older people (40 and up) had the money. Those people are now 50 and up. You will also find older people at the GF because it is expensive. So what?

Okay, I'm done on the OKW pool -- pool hopping and the aging population of OKW. ;) ;)

.. a VERY YOUNG 42. Emptynesters.
First I'll give my opinion,then I'll go back and read eveybody else's.

UPGRADE,UPGRADE,UPGRADE

1) Put in a slide-a great slide.
2) Totally upgrade the "gym".
3) Build a real Arcade Room.
4) Increase the size of the Gurgling Suitcase

Slides are just plain fun,I don't care how old you are. And if pool hopping is "doomed", then we're going to need one or our resale value could deminish.

The Gym. What else needs to be said.

The Arcade Room-ditto. I know PO is closed,but could we have the keys to their arcade room.

The lounge just lacks appeal. No real sure how to improve it,but just not crazy about it.maybe it needs a slide :-)

I guess the internet leaves out something because I have re- read my posts on this thread again and I don't see where I berated anyone. The only attacks here are the one's just made on me. Could somebody please quote me where I attacked anyone...I made a point of saying that it was fine for those who were happy to hold those opinions and they should acknowledge that it is ok for those of us who are not happy to have a different opinion and neither should affect the other's enjoyment or nonenjoyment.

Saying one group is older than another is not berating- it is a statement of how old they are....I observed that some were expressing opinions to exclude or limit kids from the resort...did I misquote or misunderstand?

Saying older people in general think in certain ways is no more berating than saying younger people or families in general make more noise. These are general pbservations not attacks on any individual, unlike some of the comments directed at me... I said I hope I don't stop enjoying the company of younger people, I did not say anybody else was evil or bad or rude because they think differently. This is what I hope for me-- what I enjoy now-- and hope to continue to enjoy. How is that out of line?...I was asking for some flexibility, some choices...in return I have been attacked for not planning far enough ahead or had my words twisted to a meaning that people know was not there...(being "forced" to stay somewhere is a figure of speech and everyone knows it.) BTW-- we did poolhop to SAB when we stayed at OKW. And I have not berated the resort, I praised its beauty...though I find it's pool lacking and I don't understand the OKW owners attitude about the pool. Hardly an attack.

I said that some comments come across as child-hating and crochety -and allowed that perhaps that was unintended but that it was an impression some comments left---and I did this without personally attacking anyone (which is against board rules).

Pam- this not an attack or insult we just don't look at numbers the same way and to me your numbers don't add up. BWV cannot have 18% of people over 50 and 76% under...that leaves out 6 %. Six percent is one third of 18% not an insignificant difference...(trust me, I have to deal with differences like this on a daily basis in life and death decisions.) VWL cannot have 9% over 50 and 76% under- that leaves out 15%. Ultimately though, why would it be so bad if one resort skews older? Why is that insulting? These are numbers, descriptors. Old -young, big room-small room, not qualifying statements like good/bad.

I think some message deletions and/or apologies are in order, but that is my opinion and that's okay with me if yours differs.

Paul

When I was a little girl my mother used to say to me, "It's NOT what you said, it's the way you said it!" That is my reply to the above post--the tone of which is entirely different from the earlier posts. I completely agree with Pam OKW.I was dumbfounded at the insulting tone toward people over 50. Those of us in our fifties are NOT some ancient, over-the-hill, unreasonable creatures! Trust me, those of you in your forties will be in your fifties before you know it. You will not appreciate the rather snide comments either!

Originally posted by PKK/MJK
When I was a little girl my mother used to say to me, "It's NOT what you said, it's the way you said it!" That is my reply to the above post--the tone of which is entirely different from the earlier posts. I completely agree with Pam OKW.I was dumbfounded at the insulting tone toward people over 50. Those of us in our fifties are NOT some ancient, over-the-hill, unreasonable creatures! Trust me, those of you in your forties will be in your fifties before you know it. You will not appreciate the rather snide comments either!

I do not appreciate being attacked and misquoted. Show me the "tone" in an earlier post. I am stiill waiting for a supporting quote- -on the internet it is what you said --not how you said it-- because all you have is the words, any tone is your own creation...as I said, I don't get it. If it is so obvious, it should be no trouble finding a quote. That you resorted to your mother's saying proves there is no such quote. Where are the insults? Please show me where I said something like you imply...and I will apologize instead of expecting others to .

I never used the words ancient, over-the-hill, or unreasonable- never even implied them--you did.

And I believe these personal attacks on me violate board rules-is there a moderator out there?

And I believe these personal attacks on me violate board rules-is there a moderator out there?

Since you have chosen 3 am to ask this question and have chosen to challenge the way the board is moderated publicly, I'll answer your question here instead of in private.

We have often had heated discussion on this forum when comparisons/stereotypes are drawn about any of the DVC resorts. Those who have chosen a resort as their "home" often become defensive by seemingly derogatory comments about their personal choice. This has happened when someone mentions aspects they don't like about BWV and/or OKW- currently the 2 largest DVC resorts.

Since you have opted to singlehandedly sustain an assault on OKW, using age as your method of attack, you have awakened some members on two fronts. In this thread and the other current discussions (also on this board) about OKW pools and age of members, you have referred to age, Seinfeld, attitude, "O" people, being "forced" to stay at OKW and other such wordage numerous times. Your apparent surprise at evoking strong comment in reply is truly amazing and suspicious as to the actual purpose of the continued rhetoric. To cry foul after personally sustaining the same discussion on several fronts simultaneously tends to arouse my suspicion as to your real intent.

You have responded to individual points made by others by name several times, thus inviting point-by-point comment.

I do see one post where your comments were called rude, but am not convinced that was a personal attack any more than I'm convinced that your comments about OKW "being the way it is" is an attack either.

If you wish to discuss this further with me, I'll be happy to do so in private.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter