Member Services Closed on my 7month booking day

Jkpark

DIS Veteran
WWYD? I am just booking one night on my leftover points before heading out on a cruise the next day. I booked SSR (home resort) and am fine staying there, but I was hoping to try to switch out to a resort that is more decorated at Christmas. My one night is Christmas night and we will have spent the bulk of the day flying/traveling. I was planning on calling in and seeing what I could switch to - if anything. And then plan our Christmas dinner around our resort. Now - it looks like my options are to cancel SSR, and then see what happens. Point wise - the only things I might be able to move to without buying extra points are BW, BCV, BLT standard or VWL. If others are available and I need to buy a few points, can I do that online, or would I have to wait until May 26th when MS opens back up? Do you think I will be fine rebooking SSR if nothing is available when MS reopens the following day? I am not usually at Disney (any Disney property) between Christmas and New Years, so I don't have a sense of how quickly things book up.

TIA.

You can't buy the One Time Use points online.

I wouldn't just cancel SSR and hope to rebook if nothing else comes up. You might end up with nothing.

WWYD? I am just booking one night on my leftover points before heading out on a cruise the next day. I booked SSR (home resort) and am fine staying there, but I was hoping to try to switch out to a resort that is more decorated at Christmas. My one night is Christmas night and we will have spent the bulk of the day flying/traveling. I was planning on calling in and seeing what I could switch to - if anything. And then plan our Christmas dinner around our resort. Now - it looks like my options are to cancel SSR, and then see what happens. Point wise - the only things I might be able to move to without buying extra points are BW, BCV, BLT standard or VWL. If others are available and I need to buy a few points, can I do that online, or would I have to wait until May 26th when MS opens back up? Do you think I will be fine rebooking SSR if nothing is available when MS reopens the following day? I am not usually at Disney (any Disney property) between Christmas and New Years, so I don't have a sense of how quickly things book up.
I'm not sure I followed. Do you need to buy one-time points because you won't have enough even if you cancel your SSR reservation? Or do you just want to buy points so you can hold both reservations at the same time?

There is a method to hold one room while cancelling the other to free up points. I documented it a few months back, but someone else turned it into simple steps. If that's what you need, I'll see if I can find the instructions.

It was Drusba's post, I have it bookmarked:

To change 11 month booking to new one at 7 months:

Using two devices or two different browsers (NOT two instances of the same browser), you can start the process of booking your new reservation.

Get to the point where it says the reservation is held for 20 minutes. There will be an option to borrow points on this screen. Don't click it yet.

Now, on a second device or different browser, cancel the current reservation.

DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE. Don't search for availability or anything else, just cancel the reservation. A search will invalidate the session on your other device.

Go back to the computer and select the "Borrow points" option. Then click cancel on the screen that pops up. That action will refresh your point balance with those released from your cancelled reservation.

Now you can complete your new reservation with the points from your previous, cancelled reservation

This method of holding the room doesn't always work flawlessly. Sometimes you'll get kicked out of the system when you try to refresh the point balance. At that point, you'll have to start over, potentially waiting 20 minutes for it to stop being on hold for you even though you lost your previous session. There is a risk someone else will grab the room once the hold is released.

See this thread.

Thanks for all your feedback. Spoke about it with DH last night and we are going to keep our room at SSR. I would be looking to buy points, as opposed to borrow, so I wouldn't be able to book certain rooms online regardless. Of those that are within my 31 leftover points, some are already showing no availability. BW and BCV may have availability, but we just stayed at BCV in September, so he doesn't think it is worth it to play the transfer game. Plus, staying at SSR allows us to walk over to the new restaurants at Springs. In more exciting news - I booked my flights today!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter