megabus

buzz2400

<font color=teal>The TF waves to buzz2400's DS
Has anyone used megabus. My son wants to go to boston from New haven, ct and it states it is only around $1 to $5 one way. Is there some catch or is it really that cheap?

I have never been on any type of bus before, so I am not sure how it really works. But, I have heard about this! Apparently, they sell a few seats at that low price, then as you get closer to the date you want to leave...the price goes up. SOmeone I know just bought a ticket like a week in advance from NY to DC for cheap!

A friend of mine uses Megabus from Pittsburgh to New York and really likes it. Super cheap and she said comfy seats.

I've done megabus and boltbus from Boston to NYC and back a few times. I've gotten cheap deals occasionally and never had a problem. The internet connection isn't always great.

We just used them for a quick trip to NYC from Boston a few weeks ago. $9 each way! It was clean and on time. The wi-fi was spotty. There is a bathroom. The other people can be a pain because seats are tight. The girl next to DH was eating cake with her hands and then wiped them on the seat. She then picked her toes (bare feet) for a while until I asked her if she was 2 (she was 20's) LOL.

Yes you can get cheaper tickets, but you need to purchase them the day they are released. For example is a bus has 50 seats, the first 5 are $1.00, the next 5 are $3.00, the next 10 are $10.00, up to around $30.00 per ticket.

We found that the bus rides were very clean, never fully booked and we were not crowded at all. Yes, some of the people were not as considerate as others, but overall we would recommend and use Megabus again.

They also stopped for a meal break for our trip which is about 7 hours.

we just booked our trip for Oct..Prov to NYC for six of us and the cost was only $11 round trip! I have heard all good things about the company.

DH and I used Megabus to go from Syracuse to NYC. The ride was comfortable and quick. Drops you off near Grand Central not far from the Fashion District.

My daughter just came home from college on Megabus. She paid $5 to travel from Cincinnati, OH to Chicago, IL. The farther out you book, the cheaper it is.

My sisters kids use them going back & forth to college during the school breaks if they can't get a ride home with a friend. They say its good and cheap. They have to book early because a lot of the college kids are riding the buses during that time. Linda :)

our NYC children use Mega all the time to come home and back. (We live in Boston). It is affordable and they've never had any issues.

We use Megabus all the time to take trips to NYC from up here and love it. It is nothing like Greyhound which is pretty gross and full of scary people. We took Greyhound a few times because they were offering low fares to compete with Megabus but I don't think I would go on their buses again even if they were free.

I haven't but my daughter used to ride Megabus quite often and her only complaint was about when the driver would stop for food since it was unpredictable. That was a couple of years ago so it may have changed. Can't beat the prices.

I'm also interested in taking the bus since we need to be up in Cambridge twice in the next couple of months and don't want to take 2 cars (one parent w/student goes up a day before the rest of family -- only want to deal with parking and gas for one car).

Please let me know how your son makes out if he uses Megabus.

Thanks,
Carolyn

The megabus trips I've taken Boston to NYC (Penn Station) or back have never stopped for food/rest area. I took Bolt Bus home last time since it was cheaper and it stopped at a Burger King (made the kids happy). The one company I heard about that I personally won't take is Fung Wah.

Fung Wag was the original "cheap" bus between NY and Boston. They travel from Chinatown to Chinatown and sold all seat at $10.

Bolt and Megabus came next and both sell at least one seat on every bus at $1. I find it funny to read quotes from people, including one of the posters on this thread, that love Bolt but hate Greyhound not realising that these bus lines are subsidiaries of Greyhound :)

There just happens to be a write up about all the neew east coast budget bus lines (There's about 7 now) in this month's Budget Travel magazine. Check out your local library to read about each of them.

My sister used the MegaBus all the time from Indy to Chicago. There were times when she only paid $1 each way, and she never had any problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter