• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MegaBus....anyone?

GCM

Mouseketeer
Has anyone used MegaBus before? There has recently been some talk about them on our local news and it sounds too good to be true. With airline tickets getting so expensive, my family is considering this as an option for transportation to DW. I would love to hear the good, bad and the ugly. :)

Thanks!

Has anyone used MegaBus before? There has recently been some talk about them on our local news and it sounds too good to be true. With airline tickets getting so expensive, my family is considering this as an option for transportation to DW. I would love to hear the good, bad and the ugly. :)

Thanks!
I have a college student daughter who uses Megabus frequently in the Midwest. The fares can be very cheap, sometimes as little as zero dollars plus a 50-cent service fee! Unlike traditional intercity buses, Megabus makes very few stops, so it's possible to get from point A to point B quite quickly. Megabus operated a fleet of comfortable intercity coaches. They're supposed to have WiFi, but that doesn't always work.

The biggest issue is ground transportation at both ends of your Megabus trip.

There's no Disney's Magical Express at the Megabus stops.

According to the Megabus website:

There are two Megabus stops in Orlando. The first stop is located at the Econolodge Inn and Suites at 8738 International Dr. The stop will be in the parking lot on the north side of the hotel. The second stop for all arrivals and departures is located on W Jefferson St. between N Garland and N Gertrude St. Parking is available for Megabus passengers in the adjacent lot, but vehicles must display the permit attached to the confirmation.​

The first stop is located at the Econolodge Inn and Suites at 8738 International Dr. The stop will be in the parking lot on the north side of the hotel.
If you rent a car, it looks like there's a Budget desk at the Embassy Suites right next door.

We aren't sure exactly when we will be going to DW, but sometime Sept-Dec. I priced August, as the prices weren't up beyond that and it would cost us.....$2.50 per person one-way. That just blows my mind. :confused: I can't find anything where they charge for luggage either. I am just afraid it will be trashy as in the seats and floors nasty, smelly, bathrooms not clean, drug deals going down, just kidding on the last one, well sort of. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but $2.50. I don't see how they afford to operate for that. I really hope to hear more comments about them.

If we go this route, we may just get a taxi to the hotel and use DW transportation for the trip. A taxi will cost more than the bus ride from Knoxville, TN to Orlando....unreal! :confused3

I have no experience with them personally, but my two cousins used it from Pittsburgh to NYC in order to attend a family funeral in White Plains, NY. Other family members met them at the Port Authority and drove them the rest of the way. It would have been a long drive for them leaving right after work and the gas prices were high as well. I don't know their exact fare, but it was quite low.

They said it was a good experience; since they left at night, they slept a good deal of the trip. I know the buses are equipped with WIFI too, which is a nice extra.

My inlaws use it all the time. My wife and I thought about using it to go to Toronto for a Football game but didn't go.

When I first read this I was like wow megabus must be really expanding. I thought it only was a NYC to like Cleveland/Cinci Corridor. But no Megabus doesn't go from Pittsburgh to Orlando or any where south of DC.

One other issue with Megabus is that at least for Pittsburgh, there is no terminal. They load and unload at a curb They do have a nice covered area here though under the Convention Center.

ETA I'm not sure how long trips work. For me it looks like I would have to go to DC, then to Charlotte, then to Atlanta, then to Orlando. they may not have connecting buses so I could be stuck in any of those cities waiting for the next bus on a street corner. Or worse have to stay over somewhere. If you go to their site you will see what I mean you can't put in two stations and have them find a route for you like Greyhound. You have to link your trips because they kind of like a local loop bus service.

My niece goes to college in Chicago. She rides the bus from Cincinnati to Chicago all the time.

That said, they only have a few fares at the rock bottom rates. We thought about taking the bus to Chicago over Labor Day, and we couldn't find anything for less than about $300 round trip for the two of us. We ended up driving.

If you can get a cut-rate fair from Knoxville to Orlando, go for it.

We aren't sure exactly when we will be going to DW, but sometime Sept-Dec. I priced August, as the prices weren't up beyond that and it would cost us.....$2.50 per person one-way. That just blows my mind. :confused: I can't find anything where they charge for luggage either. I am just afraid it will be trashy as in the seats and floors nasty, smelly, bathrooms not clean, drug deals going down, just kidding on the last one, well sort of. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but $2.50. I don't see how they afford to operate for that. I really hope to hear more comments about them.

If we go this route, we may just get a taxi to the hotel and use DW transportation for the trip. A taxi will cost more than the bus ride from Knoxville, TN to Orlando....unreal! :confused3

They only offer one seat at a promotional price on each bus. But even still, the fare is cheap.
I've used Megabus to go into NYC. Makes me feel like an idiot that I gave money to Amtrak all those years. :headache: Clean, quiet, inexpensive.
Now, this is during the week and during the day. YMMV depending on day of the week and time of day. But I doubt it will be the third world country you are imagining.;)

The only experience I can tell you about is that my 17 year old Nephew took the megabus from Chicago to Cleveland and loved it. He sat on the top level and could see a lot. Said the ride was comfortable and pleasent. He paid under $4.00 each way!! :banana:

"ETA I'm not sure how long trips work. For me it looks like I would have to go to DC, then to Charlotte, then to Atlanta, then to Orlando. they may not have connecting buses so I could be stuck in any of those cities waiting for the next bus on a street corner. Or worse have to stay over somewhere. If you go to their site you will see what I mean you can't put in two stations and have them find a route for you like Greyhound. You have to link your trips because they kind of like a local loop bus service."

I saw that too. I would be traveling from Knoxville to Atlanta and then from Atlanta on to Orlando, but there would be a little over 3 hour overlay with no terminal to go to. We would be walking around in an unknown area looking for a restaurant for lunch and a way to kill time all while lugging our luggage.

I can see many pros and cons with MegaBus and really appreciate all the feedback here.

I saw that too. I would be traveling from Knoxville to Atlanta and then from Atlanta on to Orlando, but there would be a little over 3 hour overlay with no terminal to go to. We would be walking around in an unknown area looking for a restaurant for lunch and a way to kill time all while lugging our luggage.

I can see many pros and cons with MegaBus and really appreciate all the feedback here.

I didn't even try to come up with a trip from Pittsburgh.

I'm wondering when they added all these other routes. Last time I checked the site it was pretty much NYC to Cincy with Pittsburgh in the middle (I think the buses are stationed here) and north to Erie and Toronto, south to DC.

Has anyone used Megabus in their travels?
I see where I can do a round trip via Megabus from Pittsburgh to NYC for $25.00 total. Was wondering the pros and cons. If anyone has used Megabus, would appreciate any info.

anyone have an estimate of what cab fare would be from a megabus Orlando dropoff to disney world (downtown disney or old key west)

We've used Megabus between Albany and NYC to catch cruises. Cheap and reliable.

I have used it once to go from Toronto to Buffalo Airport. Cheap and reliable!

anyone have an estimate of what cab fare would be from a megabus Orlando dropoff to disney world (downtown disney or old key west)
Checking their website, it looks like they only stop in Downtown Orlando now, at the main Lynx station. Taxi fare from DT Orlando to WDW seems to be in the $60 range.

You could also take Lynx bus Link 50 to DTD or TTC for $2 a person, but you'd have to carry your own luggage on the bus.

I have seen the buses and they look VERY nice.

They are like airlines. There are VERY limited seats at that $2.50 price and while you are thinking others may book.. prices go up as they sell the cheap seats. So the late bookers are the "profit" (just like on airlines)

Checking their website, it looks like they only stop in Downtown Orlando now, at the main Lynx station. Taxi fare from DT Orlando to WDW seems to be in the $60 range.

You could also take Lynx bus Link 50 to DTD or TTC for $2 a person, but you'd have to carry your own luggage on the bus.

That is perfect! Thanks so much!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter