Medications larger than 3oz in carry on bag

andreschris

Earning My Ears
I know that Over-the-Counter and Prescription medications larger the 3oz are allowed in my carry on bag. But do I have to put them in a quart size zip top bag? I know if they’re smaller they should be in the quartz size zip top bag, but what I’m not sure of is if they’re larger than 3oz, do I put them in a bag or not. We’ll be there for 2 weeks so I’m bringing various medications just in case to have in hand. Or do you recommend to put them in my checked luggage?

From the TSA website

Additionally, we are continuing to permit prescription liquid medications and other liquids needed by persons with disabilities and medical conditions. This includes:

• All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
  • Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
  • Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
  • Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
  • Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.
However, if the liquid medications are in volumes larger than 3 ozs each, they may not be placed in the quart-size bag and must be declared to the Transportation Security Officer. A declaration can be made verbally, in writing, or by a person's companion, caregiver, interpreter, or family member.

Declared liquid medications and other liquids for disabilities and medical conditions must be kept separate from all other property submitted for x-ray screening.

www.tsa.gov

I put all our family meds (prescription and non-prescription) in a gallon size ziploc and pull it out, along with the quart ziploc, for the TSA inspectors. Never had a problem. :thumbsup2

When my husband was packing for a business trip a few months back we were out of quart sized bags so I just gave him a gallon bag. Not a big deal, the amount of stuff in it is the same right, WRONG! The agent stopped him, made a big deal about the wrong bag size and threw everything out. It was just some shaving stuff and eyedrops so not a huge deal...but beware when they say "quart" they mean it. (If they chose to make a stink about it!)

When my husband was packing for a business trip a few months back we were out of quart sized bags so I just gave him a gallon bag. Not a big deal, the amount of stuff in it is the same right, WRONG! The agent stopped him, made a big deal about the wrong bag size and threw everything out. It was just some shaving stuff and eyedrops so not a huge deal...but beware when they say "quart" they mean it. (If they chose to make a stink about it!)

Yes, but the medications don't need to be in any sized bag. :)

OP, are these all liquid medications you're bringing? Because they don't have to be shown at all, if they are just pills.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter