Medical Teams/Care

chris31997

Disney Kid at Heart
I will do a TR shortly but I wanted to let people know about medical.

Unfortunatly we had to expeirance medical. My Father had a blood clot. The night before we ported in Skagway, my father was not feeling well. He was hoping it was a bad case of too much food:rolleyes1 but the pain was bad enough he wanted to have it checked out with his history. Heart attack and all. He went to see medical.

Good news: not having a heart attack
Bad news: it was not too much food
Worse news: staying the night and figuring out what it was

He was diagnoised with a blood clot.

Both doctors and both nurses were taking care of him. The doctors were calling back to Atlanta to consulate with the shoreside team. They came up with a plan of attack. They kept my Dad and myself informed about what they wanted to do. They asked all sorts of questions and gave important warnings. They gave my Dad a clot buster.

In all my Dad had iv fluids, clot buster, an acid medcine, and morphine. He was hooked up to an ekg machine, the type you might see in an ambulance. He had an x-ray.

They took excellant care of him.

Silly me, thought that after the night, they would release him and that would be the end of it. Confined to the ship or wheelchair. However, he was to be medically evac. They had to verify that the clot was destroyed and that he had not had a heart attack that was not detected.

My father and brother left at Skagway and flew to Seattle. Where they were met by Disney and taken care of.

My Dad is fine.:woohoo: The clot was busted on the ship. In fact, if he had not gone in it probably would have been a body removed that day. The clot was that close to his heart and it would have cause a massive heart attack.

Just some thoughts that I take away from this:

1. travel insurance:gotta have it
2. don't trust that there will be hospitals when you need them: we learned that in Sitka that there had not been a birth there in 20+ years, most women are flown out to Juneau or Whitehorse, Skagway, more houses have electricty than running water, except for Juneau half the population left the city during the winter.

Skagway did not have the medical facilities to deal or evaluate my father, that is why he was flown out.

3. medical teams on the Boats can deal with or handle just about anything.
4.Disney handles things like this very well and when the word went out that my Dad had left the ship his Room Steward, Serving Teams, and Guest Services all asked how he was and if we needed anything. Guest services even told us to see them so that we could call and check on them.

On a side note: if you ever have to use medical, let them know the outcome. The nurses were very happy to hear what had happened with my Dad and the impact they had on his life. The appreciated hearing it.

Wow! So sorry that happened but so glad to hear a positive final outcome. That must have been very scary and worrisome for your family.

Thank you for sharing your story and the reminder about travel insurance.

Great story! Glad your Dad is OK now. We always buy trip insurance because you never know when something might happen. Evacuation can be really expensive for sure.

My dad had the same problem but it was at a resort south of Cancun. Cash up front before they look at you. - $3000 at the first hospital and $5000 at the second hospital. Ambulance was $800. My mother had to be on top of the nurses and doctors to do what needed, not what they wanted to do and charge for. His leg hurt and was swollen. He and my mom expected it to be a blood clot but they wanted to do an MRI of his head. Ended up flying out of Cancun on a private jet that came from Ft Lauderdale and took him to a hospital in Miami. Two nurses and two pilots. Two weeks in the hospital in Miami and my mom stayed in a hotel. What an ordeal. Their insurance paid all but $300 of the bill. All of the money was repaid for her out of pocket Mexico hospital bills. Her hotel bill was paid. The insurance company flew them from Miami to Pittsburgh 1st class because they still couldn't get one of the clots dissolved.

The total bill would have been over $100K. The insurance company wouldn't tell them the total cost. All paid except for $300. They have really good insurance.

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so glad he is OK. It's great that the medical team was careful and took such good care of him.

Would you mind if I asked a question --- what were his symptoms other than feeling like he ate too much? My parents are cruising by themselves on a long cruise and I'm a bit worried since my dad has had various issues these past 2 years. I'd like to know what alerted you guys to realize it was more than just your dad feeling unwell. Thanks so much.

I'm glad to hear that your dad ended up being okay!

God forbid any of us need to use their services, but I'm happy to hear that the Doctors/Nurses on board know what they're doing

Thank you for sharing. We have used the medical center on Fantasy several times for minor issues and they were great. It is wonderful to hear that if things had been more serious the care would have been excellent as well.

I'm glad to hear that your dad ended up being okay!

God forbid any of us need to use their services, but I'm happy to hear that the Doctors/Nurses on board know what they're doing

I had an opposite experience with the medical services. I was on the Wonder on the Westbound Panama Canal. I got hurt playing a game, another passenger barreled into me and my head, elbow and knee went into a table. I didn't go that night but went to medical not the next day but the day after. My head was tender and had a bump. The doctor checked my head and said that it was going to be tender for the next couple of days. He then checked my knee and told me that he didn't like the swelling and prescribed an antibiotic. I refused the antibiotic. I went to an orthopedist at home and he couldn't believe that the other doctor had prescribed that. I felt that the doctor on the ship was pushing antibiotics when there was no reason to. The only advice when I asked for an alternative remedy was Advil and an ice pack which the orthopedist agreed with.

OP, I am glad that your father got the care he needed and aside from a ruined vacation, everything turned out okay.

Someone asked about symptoms of a DVT,(deep vein thrombosis or blood clot, usually in the leg) or PE (pulmonary embolism or blood clot in the lungs). I took a few articles form the Mayo Clinic website and condensed them:
Symptoms
By Mayo Clinic Staff

In about half of all cases, deep vein thrombosis occurs without any noticeable symptoms.

When deep vein thrombosis symptoms occur, they can include:
* Swelling in the affected leg, including swelling in your ankle and foot.
* Pain in your leg; this can include pain in your ankle and foot. The pain often starts in your calf and can feel like cramping or a charley horse.
* Warmth over the affected area.
* Changes in your skin color, such as turning pale, red or blue.

When to see a doctor:
*If you develop signs or symptoms of deep vein thrombosis, contact your doctor for guidance.
*If you develop signs or symptoms of a pulmonary embolism — a life-threatening complication of deep vein thrombosis — seek medical attention immediately.

The warning signs of a pulmonary embolism include:
* Unexplained sudden onset of shortness of breath
* Chest pain or discomfort that worsens when you take a deep breath or when you cough
* Feeling lightheaded or dizzy, or fainting
* Rapid pulse
* Sweating
* Coughing up blood
* A sense of anxiety or nervousness

Many factors can increase your risk of developing deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including:

* Sitting for long periods of time, such as when driving or flying. When your legs remain still for long periods, your calf muscles don't contract, which normally helps blood circulate. Blood clots can form in the calves of your legs if your calf muscles aren't moving. Although sitting for long periods is a risk factor, your chance of developing deep vein thrombosis while flying or driving is relatively low.
* Inheriting a blood-clotting disorder. Some people inherit a disorder that makes their blood clot more easily. This inherited condition may not cause problems unless combined with one or more other risk factors.
*Prolonged bed rest, such as during a long hospital stay, or paralysis. When your legs remain still for long periods, your calf muscles don't contract to help blood circulate, which can make blood clots develop.
* Injury or surgery. Injury to your veins or surgery can slow blood flow, increasing the risk of blood clots. General anesthetics used during surgery can make your veins wider (dilate), which can increase the risk of blood pooling and then clotting.
* Pregnancy. Pregnancy increases the pressure in the veins in your pelvis and legs. Women with an inherited clotting disorder are especially at risk. The risk of blood clots from pregnancy can continue for up to six weeks after you have your baby.
* Cancer. Some forms of cancer increase the amount of substances in your blood that cause your blood to clot. Some forms of cancer treatment also increase the risk of blood clots.
* Inflammatory bowel disease. Bowel disease, such as ulcerative colitis, increases your risk of DVT.
* Heart failure. People with heart failure are at risk of DVT because a damaged heart doesn't pump blood as effectively as a normal heart does. This increases the chance that blood will pool and clot.
* Birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy. Birth control pills (oral contraceptives) and hormone replacement therapy both can increase your blood's ability to clot.
* A pacemaker or a thin, flexible tube (catheter) in a vein. These medical treatments can irritate the blood vessel wall and decrease blood flow.
* A history of deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism. If you've had DVT before, you're more likely to have DVT in the future.
* A family history of deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism. If someone in your family has had DVT or a pulmonary embolism, your risk of developing DVT is increased.
* Being overweight or obese. Being overweight increases the pressure in the veins in your pelvis and legs.
* Smoking. Smoking affects blood clotting and circulation, which can increase your risk of DVT.
* Age. Being over age 60 increases your risk of DVT, though it can occur at any age.
* Being tall. Taller men may be more likely to have blood clots. Taller women do not appear to have an increased risk, perhaps because most women do not typically get as tall.

Prevention:
Preventing deep vein thrombosis is far easier than treating it after it has occurred. Some common preventive measures include the following:

* Take any prescribed medications as directed. If you're having surgery, such as orthopedic surgery, you'll probably be given blood thinners while you're in the hospital.
* Check in with your doctor regularly to see if your medication or treatments need to be modified.
* Watch how much vitamin K you're eating if you take blood thinners. Vitamin K can affect how drugs such as warfarin work. Foods high in vitamin K include green leafy vegetables and canola and soybean oils.
* Exercise your lower calf muscles if you'll be sitting a long time. Whenever possible, get up and walk around. If you can't get up to walk around, try raising and lowering your heels while keeping your toes on the floor, then raising your toes while your heels are on the floor.
* Move. If you've been on bed rest, because of surgery or other factors, the sooner you get moving, the less likely blood clots will develop.
* Make lifestyle changes. Lose weight, quit smoking and control your blood pressure. Obesity, smoking and high blood pressure all increase your risk of deep vein thrombosis.
* Wear compression stockings to help prevent blood clots in the legs if your doctor recommends them.

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so glad he is OK. It's great that the medical team was careful and took such good care of him.

Would you mind if I asked a question --- what were his symptoms other than feeling like he ate too much? My parents are cruising by themselves on a long cruise and I'm a bit worried since my dad has had various issues these past 2 years. I'd like to know what alerted you guys to realize it was more than just your dad feeling unwell. Thanks so much.

I can't really answer. Dad did not tell anyone his symptoms.

I know that he looked "green" ill.
He had a lot of gas/burbing
He had a lot of pain/discomfort in his chest.

When I saw him in Medical, his chest hurt and he had pain in his shoulder it started radiating done his arm.

I hate to say it that it was my Dad that went in, and most of us thought my Dad was making a big thing out nothing. He had been sea sick ealier.

I would tell your parents to take a copy of Dad's medical info just incase.

If you are flying long distance, wear compression socks. Easy to find, and will prevent clots.

OMG! I am so sorry that this happened to your dad and esp on vacation. But what a good ending -glad he is ok. I am glad you shared your story. Did you have Disney insurance?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter